Ability/Loot Lag on North American Servers Despite Normal Latency

I started having this issue maybe 2 months ago. At first it was only instances, then it became everywhere. There are other topics attributing similar symptoms to ISP routing issues but there is another PC on the same connection that doesn’t experience the lag I’m having. I also had massive game freezing lag spikes in TEP from the second we pulled the first trash. It could be unrelated but I had to turn my graphics all the way down, and they were already super low to begin with. I would be willing to admit it was my PC issue but it seems like an issue with the game’s performance. I don’t have any issues in other games.

1 Like

Been having the issue since the new patch. Will randomly be fine for 10-30 minutes then randomly will notice that i cannot interact with anything and abilities are not being used. Mobs/People will just be stationary.

Will log out by closing the WoW application and log back in to find my body dead by some random mob if i am question/etc.

Not sure what to do. It also seems fine when i am in the new zones, something about the old BFA zones might be causing me grief.

2 Likes

Also just got disconnected from the server (WOW51900319)

This is now happening on both realms I play on. Right now I’m on Turalyon and my latency is 45 home and world with a fps of 100. I’m getting a 1-4 second delay on everything; skills, quest accepts and turn ins, mail, looting/fishing, EVERYTHING.

Honestly I’m about fed up with it. I quit playing for months and only recently came back but am considering just walking way again if this isn’t fixed. This is totally unacceptable for a game we PAY to play.

Stormrage is no better, 3 characters now (so 3 diff shards perhaps) and Tiragarde, Drustvar are both laggy af. eg: Cast aim shot, npc is now agroed to me, cast arcane shot, npc fires back, cast 2nd arcane shot…aim shot damage just registered!

This is STILL HAPPENING? I quit for months due to this, and finally decided to resub… only to find this.

Absolutely brilliant, Blizzard. Also, awesome job on basically no communication for half a year.

That’s some impressive consistency.

This started happening to me the past couple days. Ping is solid 19-25, home and world. About 15-20% of the time when I cast a spell, loot something, or turn in a quest, it hangs for a time, sometimes a full second or more. I can never catch the ping elevated at all.

1 Like

When is this being addressed? It’s ridiculous that this is still happening. If it’s shard related, then just get rid of the sharding nonsense. It’s degrading the entire player experience.

Can confirm that Turalyon is currently experiencing this issue horrifically today. Boralus in particular has upwards of 5-second delays on some ability casts finishing (crafting, mounting, etc) despite both my home and world latency being 19.

How has this not been resolved yet? Dear Lord…

1 Like

No idea. I’ve had a suspicion for the last 6 months that it could be related to the datacenter that the servers are located in. I haven’t done enough research to prove it out, but I know that when I enable War Mode I typically end up in a shard that is likely hosted in the New York datacenter and I experience far less lag, but whenever I turn it off and port back to Turalyon (which is hosted in Chicago) it returns to its normal self.

Just started to notice this happen this week, tons of latency and I disabled all addons , still same problem and my home network runs smooth, no issue with other sites, streaming etc

I haven’t tested this with warmode on because I don’t PvP. Maybe tomorrow I will and see if it makes any difference. This has been going on for a good while now but at first I only had issues on Scarlet Crusade. Now Turalyon is the same if not worse.

To be blunt, this is unacceptable in a game we PAY a monthly fee to play. I play F2P and B2P games that don’t have this kind of problem.

2 Likes
  • Character Experiencing Issue: All of my characters
  • Realm Character is on: Stormrage
  • Zone (Zulzadar/Boralus/Arathi/etc): Nazjatar/Eternal Palace
  • Server Time When Issue Occurs: Most of the day, it’s nearly always having issues

I just don’t get it man i have an insanely fast internet and my Home/Realm latency is always in the 15-20’s yet once i start casting abilities in certain zones there’s just a really annoying delay after pressing the button that is absolutely tanking my performance, it’s nearly unplayable. I didn’t have this a month ago in BoD

So this lag issue from Dec 2018 is back? I wondered about the lag I was having in Tiragarde Sound while doing the Tortollan shell game and then again on the shore where the Naga Attacks were happening earlier this evening.

Once I finished fighting the lag boss and got completion for those other quests, I moved onto Drustvar but had no lag there at all. So it appears to be specific for where I started in Tiragarde and not necessarily all over the map.

I did think it might be my system but nothing else is being affected by the Wow game lag nor did I experience lag in Naz while doing the WQ’s there for my dailies.

Character: Nyls
Server: Anvilmar
Zone: Tiragarde Sound
Server time: early evening EST (estimate because I posted and in-game bug report then went on with what I planned to do).

My own opinion is that it was server side and not client side as it occurred only in Tiragarde and no where else on the map or in other zones I visited.

This issue is getting worse and worse in Boralus and Tiragarde Sound. I play on Proudmoore primarily and the lag delays are crazy. I run about 50 FPS in Boralus and 100+ in Tiragarde with 35MS world and home and I am seeing SO many delays. Sometimes I am seeing it in parts of Azshara as well.

Examples of what happens…
-Herbs constantly go to my mail because I can’t loot them properly
-Portals in Boralus take 4-5 secs to do anything
-Casting is overlapping because it’s catching up to the lag

I am grateful I haven’t seen this problem in the new raid but it’s still really bothersome, especially because its getting worse. Time of day doesn’t matter. it’s happening all the time!

Currently still seeing this in Boralus and Tiragarde Sound. People in chat are commenting on it. Their servers include Sen’jin, Quel’dorei, Cairne, Perenolde, Eitrigg, and Muradin.

In the past I never would have thought Blizzard of call game companies would let this kind of bug persist.

Oh! I just thought my internet was acting up…

I’ve seen a little of this in the new not-underwater zone. I’m on Malygos.

Networking is hard, and I’m sure that some functionality is being merged from the understanding learned from the new Classic code. … so… now we’re all in beta!

Before I knew this was a game wide issue I was only having this problem on SC so I actually put in a ticket and asked for free character transfers off the server. Of course they said they couldn’t do that, I expected that but you never know right? Anyway, this is one sentence from the response I got from the GM:

_As well, we’d definitely appreciate your reports about latency on Scarlet Crusade as soon as it happens. There’s a persistent technical issue that’s been ongoing for a while where the servers act up, and it’s been very resistant to our fixes. This post has more information on what’s going on and how to report it: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/known-technical-support-issues-updated-may-18-2019/22909/5_

Ok so “it’s been very resistant to our fixes” tells me they really do not know why it is happening. That isn’t a good sign IMO to ever getting this fixed. Now, just a few days ago I had a weird rollback happen on Turalyon, a GM even confirmed it happened because it made a quest item become “stuck” so he had to unstick it so it could apply to an achievement. The post I made about it in CS is here Is My Toon Bugging? and if you check my final post you’ll see it happened again. I can’t help but think it is related to this “persistent technical issue” causing the lag with no lag.

All actions, abilities, interactions, etc. within the game are extremely slow. Chat on the other hand is instantaneous and reported latency is 54/54. Not usre what’s going on, but the game is unplayable.

Reloaded the game, didn’t help.

Got DC’d tying to take a flightpath to Boralus, landed and DC’d. When I logged back in, I was on the FP again.