Abilities that behave differently in PVP Combat

As a player who has recently returned to WoW, after several years off, I’ve found the information on PVP specific combat modifications extremely hard to track. Sure, I can scan years of patch notes to know that a warrior’s MS only reduces healing by 25% on players, and does 20% less damage (12/13/2020) (Is this in addition to the 30% reduction it received on 6/14/2017?). The tooltip makes no mention of any of that and only tells you the PVE damage and 50% healing reduction. Or the fact all Resto Druid healing was nerfed by 10% in PVP combat (7/15/2019). Was that ever reverted?

Are there any lists people have made and are keeping updated? Is there any good reason why Blizzard doesn’t include PVP modifications in the tooltips? Does blizzard keep an official list somewhere on Battle.net?

Ultimately, with everyone having different armor and versatility levels the damage varies a lot from player to player. However, it’s nice to know the baseline to expect when comparing PVE or target dummy damage to what is expected in PVP combat. Or which abilities to drop down in priority when going for a kill because they have reduced damage. It seems like the only option right now is to go experiment in BGs or just stop worrying about it and simply hit my PVE rotation on the enemy player until they die.

Only one of those is a PvP centric change that can be shown through the tooltip, the others are just normal balancing changes. Any abilities that are altered in PvP usually show up while in PvP.

The fact an ability does less damage or healing in pvp, or applies a different debuff in pvp, or any other modification like that could be a tooltip change. The damage shown on a tooltip is the result of a formula. They could include a second sentence for PVP damage and include the reduced modifier. Or simply state that it applies a different debuff in PVP combat. Or have a special tooltip load in BGs and arenas. Instead, none of that happens.

As someone who likes to play with health numbers shown and know the relative strength of an ability, it’s currently a surprise when I expect an ability to hit for say, 7000, but instead hits for 3000 because it has hidden PVP modifiers on top of the normal vers/armor reductions. It would be nice to know what those are rather than experiment with all the different classes/specs I play.

They aren’t hidden though, it displays during PvP lol.

That’s just recipe for depression, please don’t do that. Nothing makes sense in wow, hell I have seen a monk get nuked through karma by a paladin. Well, at least we’re not in 8.3 where everyone was saying “what was that?” and “what just happened?” At least now we know exactly what is killing us but…you know…defensive abilities are a filthy lie so there is that.

Really? I’ll have to check again when I get home, but I’m fairly certain I didn’t see any differences in BGs/Arenas compared to being out in the world. Even then, that still requires memorizing what the PVE damage/debuff is compared to the PVP damage/debuff. Since there isn’t a situation where you can see both at the same time.

It would still nice to have a list of all classes and abilities that have special modifications for PVP combat.

They should just leave abilities as is but buff everyone’s health pool by 200% in instanced PvP. :smiley: :wink:

Yeah, I heard things like gushing and ineffable truth made the game extremely chaotic. At least now it feels like I can somewhat predict what damage is coming when where it’s coming from. Well, except Ret pally’s. Sometimes they 1 shot you and sometimes they don’t.

So a fire mage can kill me just by looking at me? No thank you.

But fire should do more damage because… fire.

Be a fire rogue. EZ :clap: