A Weak and Fractured Horde Causes Narrative Issues

It’ll miss and hit Stormwind, probably the orphanage, but Horde players will know it was aimed at an old god.

Gallywix shouldn’t have gone with the lowest bidder.

9 Likes

Hit the Vindicaar.

Boom. One narrative problem solved.

Nah. Gallywix intended to hit the orphanage, but Baine is gonna be super unpleasant about it.

4 Likes

Yeah, they might have pulled that back in CATA.
BFA would have Gallywix openly state he is “Re-adjusting” then turn to the player and shout, “haha just kidding we should blow up stormwind.”

Then the alliance would find out he managed to transport more children to the orphanage somehow.

Gallywix, blowing up those children was without honor! I am going to go think about this! Just you wait! I’ll write a letter!

3 Likes

Also want to point out the fact that Thalyssra should be one of this “superheroes” but somehow she cowers in fear at the sight of Jaina, an ancient highborne mage can’t do anything against a 30 year old human.
At the end the story is what the writers want it to be, it will not follow any logic it may have…

12 Likes

We only get to see the inner conflict during the faction war, and even then, it’s done mostly to justify a new scenario or raid were horde has to kill there own guys.

If you haven’t noticed, the hordes internal conflict is almost never focused on in neutral expansion. It exist solely as a way to create the next raid boss.

9 Likes

I’d believe an “inner conflict” storyline was being done for the good of the Horde storyline if it happened parallel to, and concurrently with, the “major” expansion storyline, whatever that might be. When the Horde’s “inner conflict” IS the major expansion story, it’s not really for the Horde’s benefit. Like Reallyhappy said, it seems more like an excuse to create raid bosses out of Horde characters.

A rather depressing thought had occurred to me as well today. It might be that the other Horde races and their signature styles and technology are being held back purposely, so as to associate Forsaken themes and weaponry with Sylvanas, and then peel her away from the Horde and use those themes when she gets raided. In other words, they’re deliberately holding back to avoid tainting other groups and themes - perhaps in response to the fact that the Kor’kron, who had been a noteworthy Horde force, ended up going down in flames due to their association with Garrosh. Once they became Garrosh’s, they had to disappear after his defeat.

In other words, all we’ll see is Blight and raising undead 24/7 until they finally make their move. If that doesn’t happen until 8.3… it’s going to be a long two years of poison gas and zombies.

13 Likes

In particular right now it’s the scene after the raid, discussing the aftermath of the Siege of Zuldazar. What’s been told as our payback for Teldrassil and should be a victorious moment, yet here we get Anduin finger-wagging at the player saying “…attack them as they mourn their fallen king? That makes us no better than the Banshee Queen.”

Uhmmm, wat?

Yeeeeah…uhmm you don’t win wars with niceness
(to quote a scene from Captain America)

Okay Anduin if this were still the last war would you give the Burning Legion time to grieve? I don’t think so…

And the thing is it didn’t even have to feel like this. He could have said something like, “…we’re spread too thin…we can’t split enough resources between Darkshore and Zuldazar now…we suffered too many casualties, etc”.

And that would have made it totally fine and understandable. But instead, yeah,…

1 Like

It’s weird how Blizzard felt Teldrassil was needed to motivate the Alliance to fight, but then ties the faction’s hands with morality.

5 Likes

I think you’re supposed to feel like you already won a satisfying victory, and continuing to attack now would be stepping over the line into puppy-kicking territory.

1 Like

“alliance… you did not forget the BETRAYAL at the broken shore”
“teldrassil happened first to motivate alliance players”

Alliance players: ???

you must be joking,horde content always gets finished first. right now the alliance has 0 reason to raid uldir.
i don’t know how they are going to motivate us to raid the zandalari, but at first i can say that it doesn’t feel good to raid your own faction leaders and this goes for both sides.

I think the key part in this is that your hands have to be tied because otherwise the war wouldn’t be much of a contest. Against a stronger, more threatening enemy, there’s less room to worry about the niceties of war.

1 Like

By having the Zandalari attack Boralus first. No joke.

That’s perhaps the biggest reason for both sides suffer for this expansion, Horde being weak means the Alliance has to hold back and looks stupid for it. That makes this entire expansion really pointless. There were so many times the Alliance could have destroyed, DESTROYED the Horde 10 times over. Battle for Lordaeron, walls to high and tough? Vindicaar nuke from orbit. It nuked a hole in the nigh impenetrable Antorus and that was because it had a crack in it before it. stone walls mean nothing to the Vindicaar. Sylvanas is using blight? Gas masks, really, anyone can make them and use them. The Alliance is forced to be dumbed down and stupid in order for the Horde to have a ghost of a chance. This also makes the Horde seem inept without Sylvanas. She’s the only reason we were ahead? Really? What about the other faction leaders? Saurfang is the only notable one because he made the successful plans for War of Thorns. Sylvanas is even the one that burns down the entire advantage and plans. It would have been nice before the War of Thorns that the Horde gets a mission to sabotage the Vindicaar to ground it. That would have written it out in a semi-good way, it would still make the Alliance look bad though, but at least the Vindicaar is out. Give the Alliance a bone in a different way I guess?

We would have had awesome leaders but they were/become raid bossed. The game is still reeling from the Horde not having Kael’thas, and the fact he became a loot pinata in general. Had the Horde have Kael’thas, he would have made a perfect counter balance to Jaina, fire vs ice, past relationships and broken hearts. Jaina is the best Archmage? Kael’thas would have loved to have a word. Meanwhile Sylvanas would be competing against Alleria. it would have been perfect but Burning Crusade was a burning pile of lore. Great gameplay, terrible lore which was worse than WoD’s since the game is still hemorrhaging from it. Even look at Illidan in Legion, one of many mistakes from BC.

It is worse off when we have under used, badly written leaders that could be good. The Horde is mostly made of warriors, which is the main reason that the Alliance have the upper hand. As is the usual case in fantasy, magic always trumps might. Look at table top games, at some point the casters will completely dominate the physical counter parts so hard that they can do the physical aspect of the game even greater. This was shown even with Saurfang vs Malfurion, Malfurion crushed him in melee combat. Theoretically the same thing will happen to Saurfang vs Sylvanas.

Top it all off, even when the Horde specializes in something, we are foreshadowed by the Alliance’s. The Horde is mostly made of warriors, but one warrior usually stands above all other warriors, Varian. Everyone mentions that Varian is the best warrior, or top 3. Really? I don’t consider him top 3, not even top 5. Baine may be hated from everyone, but he is arguably the best warrior alive in the game so far. This is the guy with the potential to tear Garrosh in half … WITH HIS BARE HANDS! Varian wanted to kill Baine? He’d tear him in half if he had to. But nooo Varian received spartan training, and could easily hand Arthas his behind, therefore Varian is the best. Stormwind was apparently a Sparta in the past. Unless that was retconned and changed into Sparta and I missed it. Oh and Cairne > Broxigar > Baine > Saurfang > Garrosh. That is my top 5 list of best warriors, why are they all Horde? Because Horde was set up to be a warrior nation so we’re really leagues ahead of Alliance and their best warriors, including Varian.

As for casters, it was nice that we got the Nightborne to even things out but that failed when Thalyssra instantly yielded to Jaina, and is permanently overshadowed. I can understand Jaina being superior since the Alliance specialized in Mages, but at least have Thalyssra fight Jaina and lose but survive. It was also so insulting running away from the big scary Jaina, while we had Nathanos, Rokhan, Zul, Talanji, Thalyssra, and especially I. I just came back from smashing a baby titan’s face in and I’m scared of Jaina? Really? I don’t care if I just lost my artifact, I can take her, especially with awesome backup! If she was this scary, she could have changed all the raids in Legion into 5 man dungeons, Jaina + 5 other artifact wielders. Jaina is chasing us? There’s 6 legendary champions vs just 1, break her neck and then move on. Genn wants to interfere? Break his neck too. What made everything the absolute worst in this scenario was the fact we had to set Stormwind ablaze, especially after we caused a genocide and burned down a tree. In for a penny in for a pound I guess, time to make the Alliance look inept and the Horde look like underhanded monsters again.

It is also the worst feeling getting beaten by the Alliance in 8.1 without them even trying. The Horde as this point seems like an angry kid kicking stuff over, and burning trees. Then papa Alliance comes by, punishes us and sends us to the kiddy corner. It sucks to lose, but it happens and get better for next time. It is worse, demoralizing, and more insulting however when beaten by someone who wasn’t even trying that hard.

5 Likes

This is one of the best topics I’ve read in this forum. In a clear way you have summed up all the problems of this narrative that have been extremely poor for years. The fact that the Horde is still called the Horde is something that surprises me in this narrative. After all, we are anything but a group of powerful enemies ready to destroy the supposed civilization.

For me it is very clear what is happening in this narrative, this new devs team wants to distance itself from the old ones, creating a narrative with its own brand. All they were able to deliver was a Horde that at most caused feelings of pity in the Alliance, and at the same time transformed the Alliance into a Justice League faction that insistently forgives their enemies at the end of the arc being counted.

In the end, it’s all an ego dispute between guys who think they are great artists but who cannot even afford the immense array of resources they have thanks to us delivering a work that is even capable of surpassing the story of a tale of fairies built by folk folklore of sixteenth-century Europe.

At that point in the game, I think the only sobering thing we could say to this current team of devs is that they are not great artists, that they are not delivering a new job and that it breaks the paradigm of Warcraft, they should focus only on continuing the story that other devs have created, and which is light years beyond theirs.

Even because, this current team if I fail the memory has many devs that manage to destroy the lore of Diablo.

4 Likes

Since this thread was posted, the situation has gotten vastly worse. Jaina has shown herself able to hold her own against the Horde raid solo and walk away laughing at full health, which makes her stronger than most GODS.

This isn’t just bad for the Horde, it’s directly bad for the Alliance who can never defeat the Horde due to meta reasons. For example, Tyrande sacrificed everything to become an avatar of her god and was defeated by Horde trash mobs because there’s no Horde NPCs left that narratively could fill the slot.

5 Likes

Well, held off by Horde trash mobs. Not really defeated.

3 Likes

It only took massive fan outcry on the PTR to even get that far. The original version might as well have had Nathanos slapping her and telling her to “hush”.

1 Like

If you say so. :laughing: I’m not playing it.

Casts flyfishing hook into crystalline Zandalari river with perfect flick of wrist

5 Likes

Watching a video of the event, I see I was 80% wrong. I remembered Malfurion and Tyrande running off into the woods, but it’s after Nathanos has already flown off…but while the Horde player is still standing there. So I guess they didn’t run from Nathanos, but just the Horde player with no support. Or they apparently can’t perceive that the Horde player who just beat them in a fight exists narratively?

Man, BFA is trash.

1 Like