A Tale of Two Sylvies and why the Jailer Reveal was Bad

Hello,

We knew when we started playing WoW that Arthas was going to be the big bad eventually. What we didn’t know was who came after that, and we speculated who we might see, and where we might go. Deathwing and Azshara are two juggernauts that eventually menaced Azeroth, drawing from characters established before we crossed the Dark Portal. Eventually, Blizzard’s going to have to create new characters to raise the stakes-- and they have. Garrosh Hellscream was a character borne in World of Warcraft’s era, as was the Thunder King. There are many examples, the most recent and significant of which is the Jailer, currently menacing us now in Shadowlands.

The character himself is fine. I like him, he’s interesting, that nipple scares me, and that’s just my reaction to the character. The method in which he was introduced, though, is destructive to a well-established character in Sylvanas Windrunner. The way in which the Jailer was implemented has tarnished much of character in my eyes, and having played an Undead Warrior for nearly my entire time with WoW, it resonates pretty closely with me.

I used to think Sylvanas was great. Now I think she’s awful. News of a novel dedicated to her makes me grimace because I think it’ll be just as poorly served as everything about her has been since Legion.

The way I see it, the character of Sylvanas can be broken down into three ‘eras’.

The WC3-Wrath Era:
We are introduced to her, are sympathetic with her death, are rooting for her victories, and understood her motive. She’s among those who have most keenly suffered from Arthas’ crimes. She wants to kill the Lich King. We also want to kill the Lich King. We already have a lot in common with her and she is compelling to many. This is a good era of Sylvanas, because whether or not everyone likes her, everyone pretty much understands her and her motives are clear.

The Cata-WoD Era:
Resolving a character’s motive and then giving them a new one that’s equally as compelling can be difficult. John Wick avenges his dog. Now what? Luke defeats the Emperor. Now what? Sylvanas sees the end of the Lich King. Now what? If a character is self-contained in a story that doesn’t continue on, you may not have to figure out what comes next, but in Warcraft, we did. Sylvanas adopts an interest in solidifying the Forsaken identity, legitimizing their place on Azeroth. Does it relate as well as our shared ire toward the Lich King? Probably not. What we got, though, wasn’t half-bad, and gave us something to look forward to. I know I did, even if she was relatively off-screen for MOP and WOD. Still, her motives are clear.

The Present Era:
This one began in Legion. Blizzard had begun adopting a method of linking one expansion into another with the end of MOP tying directly into the beginning of WOD, and although Sylvanas was absent for large parts of those, she is then swept up in this method of delivering the narrative. Once it picked her up in Legion, it didn’t and hasn’t let go of her, not for a moment. Even when she was no longer active after the events of Stormheim, her constant shrieking at us about Greymane’s towers reminded us she was present and waiting for the plot to continue. This is a controversial era because she is Warchief now, and it feels like it’s been taken away from Vol’jin after a victorious rebellion but then a lot of nothing while we’re galavanting in Draenor. We know we’re about to get a lot of Sylvanas-as-Warchief narrative when we never got any of that for Vol’jin. It didn’t feel good, it didn’t satisfy, and felt like a lost opportunity for what didn’t seem like a good reason, and wouldn’t for a very long time-- if it ever did. A popular era for some, and groanworth for others (me).

Problems with Present Sylvanas
The announcement of Battle for Azeroth comes with dramatic key art of Sylvanas standing before a burning Teldrassil, and we’re told to wait and see. Players are vindicated for calling it as they saw it when she did exactly what it looked like she was going to, but now we have her motives: Kill hope, destabilizing the Alliance by making them fight each other, conquer Kalimdor.

Killing hope is dramatic and transformative speech that makes ‘demoralize them’ sound more interesting, but the belief that it would make the Alliance descend into infighting is questionable. It’s not obvious that it’s a reasonable conclusion to make, or that Sylvanas has any reason to believe it’ll actually happen. When it doesn’t happen, it makes it look like she’s got it wrong-- generally not what is desired in a military leader, especially when she had no reason to get it wrong.

In BfA, we still don’t know anything about the Jailer. We don’t know why she’s doing what she’s doing. We’re told to wait and see, and we’re told this an awful lot when it comes to this character, which are things we haven’t really been told about her before. We weren’t really told that about any other characters, either. We’re told that our uncertainty is intended, and split opinions on this character’s actions are what Blizzard wants us to have. Interesting, to say the least, but a dissonance that wasn’t really present with the first two 'era’s of the character.

I’m Just Pretending to be Stupid
Without knowing anything about the Jailer, Sylvanas looks incompetent. Revealing the Jailer, we learn everything she has done since Legion has been to increase the death count of everyone involved and give him more anima, more powerful, more potential to uproot the machinery of death. The problem is that the reveal demands that we change our understanding of Sylvanas from an incompetent character who objectively failed throughout the Fourth War into a character that is actually a mastermind doesn’t land if the set up is awful.

A more competent reveal of the unexpected could be in any number of murder mysteries, in which the true murderer was present all along but overlooked because of assumptions that were made about that character by the reader-- or assumptions about other characters that drew their attention from the guilty but more unassuming character. The breadcrumbs, usually, are there all along, and may leave you finding the way you draw you conclusions to be challenged.

The problem with the Jailer was that he’s never even in the room, on the train, in the manor, or where the story is relevant. Until the announcement of Shadowlands, his present was unfelt, not in the way of the unassuming but guilty character shared space with the other characters suspected of the murder. Apart from threadbare allusions about Odyn’s eye and that place the Val’kyr go, the Jailer was formless. Moreover, no one but people in Blizzard could have known how this amorphous blob of undefined darkness was somehow connected to Sylvanas.

The Damage to Sylvanas
Rooting the Jailer to Sylvanas has destroyed a lot of her character, and does so retroactively, which is awful since it’s destructive to the years we had with her without this knowledge. Players insisting that she truly did have the Horde’s best interests at heart are now wrong, and not only wrong, but foolish to have thought so. We now that the Jailer’s partners whispered into Vol’jin’s ear to name her Warchief, so every action she’s taken since then has been done in league with some dark specter we couldn’t have known about. We can still lay it all at her feet, but her motivations are almost entirely changed. Subjugating Helya wasn’t for the Forsaken like we thought-- it was for the Jailer. Waging war with the Alliance over the Broken isles wasn’t for the Horde, it was for the Jailer. Burning Teldrassil wasn’t to conquer Kalimdor, losing Lordaeron wasn’t a grave failure, courting the Zandalari wasn’t to empower the Horde’s naval standing against Kul Tiras, it was all for the Jailer. The players had every reason to believe these things were true-- until the Jailer was revealed.

But we know it goes further than that. We learned that Sylvanas made contact with the Jailer as far back as the events of Cataclysm. Her efforts in Silverpine Forest, the Plaguelands, and aiding in retaking Orgrimmar from Hellscream were not done for her people, the Horde, or for their future. It was for the Jailer and always has been.

Two Sylvies: Pre-Jailer and Post-Jailer
I detailed three eras of the character, but now there are only two. A time before the Jailer, and the time after the Jailer, and it has erased the Cata-WoD era of the character that adequately provided new motivation nearly as interesting as the original drive to kill Arthas. Her motives and behavior are all redefined under the new context of the Jailer, years of a character transformed in our understanding all for a character that has only been established for barely a year.

Why It’s Bad
Sylvanas is a hero to some, a villain to others. Redefining a character in this way has nothing to do with whether or not they are good or evil, and everything to do with misleading the audience. Even in the years before she was Warchief, we have to view the character and everything she did as being carried out for her ultimate vision in working with the Jailer.

When a story presents a character, good or evil, the intent is for the character to be understood. We’re learning that we never really understood the character, because there wasn’t anything that could have told us she was doing something so grand as ‘destroying the machine of death’. Any character that is this drastically redefined is ruined, since it’s destroying the understand we had of her without any reason to have thought otherwise. It’s only worsened by the fact that Sylvanas was a character created and written by other people in Blizzard, now adopted and redefined by whoever is at the helm now. It smacks not only as misleading the players, but disrespectful to the vision of other authors.

“Bet they didn’t see that coming,” they might think to themselves. Well, they’re right, because the clues never existed. That’s not cleverness, that’d bad writing.

The Jailer is a fine character. I like him. The method of introducing him, though, was awful, and has cored out and redefined anything we knew about her. It’s unfair to the character and those that wrote her to transmute her in such a way, because the players don’t even have the fun of being challenged for their own assumptions.

40 Likes
7 Likes

It’s not my intention to dump on your effortpost, but this is a bit presumptuous. It ignores how divisive a character she was from her conception.

12 Likes

he left out all the her killing people and making wmds to use on the living and dead

4 Likes

This post is not a defense of Sylvanas but a critique on how using an out-of-nowhere character reveal to excuse bad writing is cheap and dumb.

Sylvanas just happens to be the character completely redefined by how they did it.

24 Likes

I do agree that the Jailor should have been built up a bit more. His position as a villain to take seriously has suffered by so much of the focus being on Sylvanas. We should have started to see elements of his presence in Cata or so, and I think that Blizzard has done their best to retroactively do that but it’s clear that the vision of the character wasn’t starting to become a thing until Legion at the earliest.

They didn’t even have the Jailors design finalized when they announced Shadowlands.

5 Likes

yeah and you leave out the stuff that makes her consistence this whole time
Sure I guess things do seem out of no where when you ignore massive parts of her history

2 Likes

Blizzard can’t always rely on old and established monsters like Deathwing and Azshara. The funny thing is the Thunder King was well done and built up effectively without having to redefine anything.

When we’re told a character not even conceptualized fully until Shadowlands is motivating her behavior as far back as the end of Wrath, yeah, it’s out of nowhere.

If you want to make the case that this is well within her character to act like this, that’s fine. I’m making the case that hiding all of her motivation in some unshaped bad guy for several years is bad, and redefining lore from even further back is worse. Telling us she’s really in it for the Horde but no, actually, she wants to break death, without any means of actually hinting at that, is poor writing.

Nixxiom might think it’s all been established, Sylvy just didn’t have the means, that’s fine. I’m saying that the means not being established or hinted at and retroactively tucked into where it wasn’t before is what ruined her.

26 Likes

Imagine taking Nixxiom’s opinions seriously.

20 Likes

It would be strange, even illogical for a 9/11 victim to become a member of al Qaeda years later right?

Similar stuff here.

To be a victim of such criminal atrocity to only then work towards making more of the same crimes is absurd. Maybe the point of the story is Sylvanas will snap out of it and realize she’s no different to Arthas and start to make amends and NOT let her of the hook as she needs to face the consequences.

I ask myself though is this story entertaining? Is drastically shifting a popular characters motivations like this worth it? I keep saying no. I just want this story done and buried so we can move on to something else hopefully more interesting and god forbid… fun.

6 Likes

The story has to have interpersonal drama and opposing sides, protagonists and antagonists, otherwise there is no drama. If Shadowlands was just about defeating Zovaal no one would care because he’s just a nameless faceless baddie and future raid boss. Boring. It’s why the N’zoth plot fell flat when he revealed himself to the world in Stormwind and died a raid boss the same day.

Blizzard will have to create conflict between characters to fuel a narrative, if not Sylvanas then some other character has to fill that role.

3 Likes

Firstly Blizzard droppped the ball on N’zoth and so far Zovaal because we hardly see them. We know they’re the bad guys but the build up has been very limited and vague.

Secondly aren’t you sick of Sylvanas? Maybe not, but I am. This has been going on since Legion, then ramped up in BFA and now the focus of SL. That’s like 6 years! I remember being sick of Thrall being green Jesus for a time back in Cata, looking back it feels really silly that I ever thought that when his story of being the “chosen one” only lasted a couple of years.

Exactly. It’s time for someone else.

13 Likes

N’zoth was a villain with far far more build up then Zovaal, and what blizzard did to him was indeed a huge ball drop. Allot of characters where misused in BFA to tell an ineffective story, that in the middle changed courses hard to drop the faction war and invest heavily into the old god themes they placed in parts of the questing experience.

I even find Denathrius, a villain with far less set up to be more compelling as an antagonist because he checks off more boxes with how we interacted with him in the Revendreth questing. Plus the voice acting was knocked out of the park to give us by far one of the most fun new villains to date.

31 Likes

It helps that Denathrius was not only arrogant but had the power to back it up.

11 Likes

I also dislike the way they handled the Jailer (though I find him pretty bland and generic) as this giant vaguely retcon insert for the last decade. But even worse, I’m not sure this whole thing is necessary (forget about planned). They could have skipped through almost all of it.

At the end of BfA, let’s just say all of her plans have backfired catastrophically and she’s on the run from the Horde and Alliance (and running out of extra lives from Val’kyr). She runs to the Frozen Throne in the hopes of building a new power base as the new Lich Queen.

After she defeats Bolvar, she is about to put on the crown, when she hears a voice in the Helm tell her to destroy it and go beyond the veil. Her anger and vengeance boil over and she shatters it and travels to the Shadowlands to discover the mysterious voice and join his cause as a new ally of convenience (and you know, the whole super powerful cosmic being thing).

Done. Simple story and it doesn’t involve trying to convince us that the last decade was all in service of some underlying plan.

It’s funny because I think this particular aspect recently showed up in another way (and highlights the way things have gone a bit downhill).

The recent secret discovered was how to get the slime serpent mount.

Spoilers It turns out you have to defeat the last two bosses of Heroic (or higher) Plaguefall, then go back to the second to last boss and pet the serpent. There were no clues (other than perhaps considering a visual of the serpent's model within the dungeon as a clue). So... why do that? There have always been some "easier" secrets and some cool Easter eggs to stumble upon.

This was just, “haha no one will think to do this.”

Other secrets offered a bit more of a puzzle to solve it, but it’s been in decline and moved more toward “brute force try everything hey look!”

Spoilers for Other Secrets Kosumoth had pebbles vaguely pointing the way to go to the next steps. I have no idea how we were supposed to know the first step, but whatever I guess.

Uuna required following some vague clues. The first one made sense, the next three weren’t quite as clear, but the rest was straightforward enough. I’m not clear on why the order of the last section of locations, but … they’re significant locations, so sure… whatever.

The Lucid Nightmare was pretty awesome (albeit there were very obnoxious aspects to it and one or two times the exact location was a little unclear). In my opinion, the best done overall.

The Riddler’s Mind Worm was pretty cool too. They weren’t the “easiest” clues and I’d definitely argue some of them could be interpreted in a number of ways, but there’s a good amount of consistency with the sources and pretty well done.

The Hivemind was a mess in my opinion. There’s a starting point that I have no idea why, but fine. Then it provides some clues where to go, awesome. Then after that, it’s kind of “hey find something to do here!” The somethings are all painful, obnoxious, and figuring out what to do is pretty much guessing, followed by a ton of time. After that? It’s even worse.

• Writing the alphabet twice and removing the letters that are found on the monocles you got from the locations earlier.
  • Rearranging the remaining letters to find the zone to go to
  • Within the zone, finding four mobs that are named, have the correct initial, and the appropriate eye color
  • Killing all four at the same second so that a fifth player can walk into a locked room in a location that you can’t know, then click on an object
  • Clicking the object makes you take falling damage, and you need to save the number (plus absorbs or overkill) to explain your next steps
  • Use that code, to know the number of times to undertake an action on a set of particular NPCs in an area you have no clue where to go, and you have no idea the order of the NPCs to do it
  • Attempt to figure out how to not fall off platforms and get across a gap
  • Then Brute force figure out the solution to a puzzle to cross lava

I can accept that the starting path for Baa’l was a random note that makes some sense. At which point you then click on random objects related to that first secret (vaguely) in a random order hidden in random spots without clues. So, massive brute force.

The Waist of Time isn’t great, but at first there is some consistency. Sort of. A lot of acronyms and references (though inconsistent references) - right up until about 3/4 done when it goes completely off the rails involving guessing people off initials and smells, crafting items, vague clues to random NPCs that you have to interact with while carrying gray items that are somewhat referenced, then I honestly have no idea why, but there’s a strange note that leads to something involving potatoes and a very specific number. It’s like they got halfway through and then got drunk and said, “Let’s screw with them.”

Jenafur was so hilariously bad that no one even touched it for a long period of time and they were on the final step. Everyone even knew what they needed to do, involving arranging food in places to represent music, but no one had any idea how to do it properly. Blizzard dished out a half dozen or so hints in poetry form and it finally took someone who did… something vaguely insane… before it was solved.

It has slowly become a descent into more and more of, “Well - let’s make it something ridiculously odd and someone eventually will do that.” Less of a puzzle and more of a brute force guesswork scenario involving random parts of the world. The game overall has mirrored that, in becoming less of a story and more of a series of shock/action sequences. It’s almost akin to a mash-up of an M. Night Shyamalan and Michael Bay movie.

6 Likes

I haven’t read the replies yet. I imagine you’re getting a lot of pushback for saying Sylvanas was ever sympathetic in any way, but I basically agree with your analysis. She used to be sympathetic and a little repulsive, ruthless but on our side.

I have come to wish they had just killed her off at the end of WotLK. Let her take part in the victory against Arthas and then leap off of Icecrown and stay dead. I’d have been sorry to lose one of the OG Horde leaders, but it would have been better than watching what’s happened to her and the faction over the last 10 years. And maybe we Horde players could be interacting with SL in a different way now instead of raiding one of our former leaders again.

21 Likes

You really ignored the entire body of the post for this stupid “Gotcha!” link? Really?

4 Likes

Less than you’d think.

Not everyone was sympathetic but she had goals in common with the player even if they didn’t like her. Everyone was after LK.

It’s hard to replace compelling motivation with a new one that doesn’t fall short. They did that, but then writers coming in after introduced the Jailer in such a way that undermined it.

Sylvanas is just collateral damage at this point. It’s clear the current writers’ vision of her is not the same as those handling her earlier.

7 Likes

I’m clarifying my breakdowns of the Sylvanas eras. I want everyone to understand that they’re not good or bad based on who she is as a character, but on how effectively players understand why she’s doing what she is and how well her writers are communicating that to us.

It’s also worth mentioning that we heard internal monologues about Sylvanas’ motivations in previous novels, which makes how she’s being written now even more schizophrenic and contradictory. It’s awfully nice for Sylvanas to remember to lie about her motivations because she senses the reader in her thoughts, and for her writers to just change their mind on the fly about what’s actually happening. Floors me how anyone could say this was effectively established.

13 Likes

Completely agree. And it sucks because as someone who started her WoW journey back in vanilla as an undead priest Sylvanas used to be my favorite character. She took actions and made plans that were immoral from the stance of a living person, but despite her claims otherwise in public (such as the lady’s necklace) you could tell she clearly missed her living days and had people she loved and cared about the Forsaken and blood elves if nothing else.

Then Edge of Night stomped right over that and then we’ve gotten everything since then (other than tiny moments like War Crimes where you could see that however twisted (planning on murdering and raising her as undead without her knowledge, let alone consent) she still loved Vereesa, and the end of the Three Sisters comic where Vereesa’s apology causes her to change her mind about killing Alleria and Vereesa) which has just made it worse.

5 Likes