A sincere thank you to my friends

A few days ago, someone said and did something extremely selfish, inconsiderate, and very destructive to another person in our community that happens to be my good friend.

At first, I was outraged and furious. I don’t typically get into it and I don’t like drama at all.

But, after a while, I began to consider what it would mean if something actually were to happen to my friend, as the selfish person I mentioned suggested. I imagined it so well that it terrified me. I imagined how devastating it would be.

It made me realize that my friend, and all of the other friends that I have made here on Emerald Dream, are really important to me. It made me realize that the cycle of toxicity and negativity that sometimes seems to swell up now and again is minuscule and worthless in the face of the friendships and happiness folks here on this server have given and others.

I decided that I wouldn’t wait. Those friends deserve to know that they are meaningful and important.

Unfortunately, there are some that I can’t say this to any longer — friends that have moved on with their lives or with whom I had fallen out of contact for whatever reason.

So, I decided to write this post, hopefully to reach those who I may not have the capability to reach any longer, but who might browse around.

Thank you.

Thank you so much for the long nights of laughter. Thank you for sharing the burdens of friendship with me. Thank you for getting pissed at me and forgiving me. Thank you for being your genuine selves. Thank you a thousand times.

I imagine this post might come across as emotional, and perhaps it is, but it needed to be said and I can’t think of another medium in this moment.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. See you in game. <3

— Wrench / Rysu

14 Likes

Emerald Dream despite some of our flaws is a pretty tight community.

6 Likes

I think people need to read this, so bump! Very well said Wrench. Because friends should “make you laugh a little harder, cry a little less, and smile a lot more”…

4 Likes

ED has some vaunted drama from it’s past I guess I largely missed. We’ve had some griefers but they were sorted pretty quickly. Most of the other toxic people either jumped ship or will be seen mainly just on the forums, rambling about cliques or tribal behavior, apparently not understanding that a bar will cease to serve you if all you do is cause trouble, likely because they’re not old / confident enough to visit such an establishment.

Otherwise there’s certainly friction. But while WoW’s a game it’s a competitive one, and everyone has had different days and logged in for different reasons. So you’re bound to have conflict.

But as far as internet beef, expressed about as anomalously as possible, goes ED would be spicey only to the sort that find mayonnaise exotic. Even Trade Chat is mostly tame.

As to the threatening comments I wouldn’t look into it. I’ve challenged many to fisticuffs in a Denny’s parking lot after 3am (a place where neither the laws of men or gods apply) and to date not one has taken me up on the offer. So I presume it was a sniveling little thing so desperate for meaning it decided to try to hurt something that couldn’t actually bite back. Pity it, I suspect it has little else going on it’s ‘life’.

4 Likes