A Random Queston for the Day 2

I know a lot of people out there draw inspiration from a number of media when making their characters to roleplay with from anime, books, comics, and other games. When I have time these days and I idle in stormwind on an alt or on my main I see a number of people roleplaying different things ((the ones that count anyways and not the random yell spam of OMG GUNSHOTS and guard guilds.)) So what would be your largest inspiration on your characters? Don’t have to go down the large list as I know some people have a number of characters they roleplay with.

Myself in terms of general influence on myself is an anime called The Slayers. I like the world and the characters in that world from comic relief to very serous moments. When I roleplay with darker magic as warlocks tend to it is hidden from ‘most’ public view the darker stuff is done at home or out deep in woods and fields so a bit more classic in that regards with how a dark arts user should work.

Life. And second, fiction.

I’ve known enough people over the years that I can draw on threads of their experiences, and use those to add dimension to a character.

Add to that a huge number of books read and movies watched.

At some point, it becomes less a matter of consciously selecting a source, and more of deciding what sort of character I want and synthesizing from whatever comes to mind.

Watching lots of shows like X Factor and [Country]'s Got Talent made me want to try my hand at playing a magician character that could accomplish many sleight-of-hand tricks with no real magic involved. From there, I also wanted to try and adapt it more to the world in situations; ie, how can he use those skills in combat, or as a mercenary, etc. I managed to come out of that with my favorite and most enjoyable to play character.

Monty Python and Monty Python. However, this knight does not say ‘ni’.

Classic literature and historical fiction.

roll a human and make him canonically half a bee

Most of mine tend to come from fiction or historical events. I like when a character is written that gives the original source material a bit of a twist. For instance Darvile is based on the huntsman from the Brothers Grimm folktale of Snow White (and its numerous retellings in various media) with a number of mirror distorted similarities.

I appreciate when other players let me in on what helped them bring their character to life. I’ve read a few new books and watched a number of different films I’d not previously viewed based on my interest in their inspiration.

This, however, made me sad. I get that you may not care for certain themes, but if the roleplay is not hurting anyone (meaning consent has been and is able to be given), not breaking any laws or violating the ToS then it is valid and it counts.

point but I seen a lot of just random yell spam from a lv 1 or 10 just causing issues or just to be a nuisances. and as for guard guilds I never took them seriously as I seen a few of those guilds over the many years just being total rubbish and has proven to me over and over again that they should not be taken seriously.