A positive Horde cinematic?

If we actually HAD heroes left on our faction, we probably could.

1 Like

Which is also funny considering that intro cinema is not even canon.

6 Likes

The BfA intro scenario was like the horde defending their ground saurfang getting hyped by sylvanas after an apparently unprovoked attack by the alliance and anduin putting his big boi pants and attacking the horde.

but that was until we find out that the alliance was retaliating the genocide on the nelfs who were attacked unprovoked by the horde.
that isn’t heroic isn’t it?

4 Likes

The Intro made it sound like the Alliance were the aggressors with the whole “we have paid the price for sharing this world and forgotten what has made us strong”

13 Likes

apparently what made them strong is genocide.
what a great message blizz.

12 Likes

To be fair, it worked for the Scourge.

2 Likes

Do these not count btw?

1 Like

What would you like that would make you feel like a hero?

Old Soldier could have been great if it wasn’t immediately followed by Saurfang trying to kill himself again and then sulking in a jail cell where he refuses to come back to the Horde with the PC. Don’t @ me treng.

31 Likes

Could she not have been referring to Stormheim?
And when did they put out that the cinematic isn’t canon?

1 Like

Pretty much this, she contradicts herself about “paying the price for sharing this world”, when she’s the cause for the Alliance retaliation.

3 Likes

She isn’t neccesarily talking about the battle that is going on in the cinematic though. I operate on the assumption that if something doesn’t make sense, it’s because I’m wrong… not that it always works that way.

But if Sylvanas is talking about Stormheim, which was the last time she paid a price for something, it makes sense. The Horde and Alliance were working together at the time (sharing this world). That makes sense to me.

“Ours is a cycle of hatred, alliances forged and broken”
“We have paid the price for sharing this world”

This describes what happened at Stormheim pretty accurately. Genn and Rogers reignite the cycle of hatred, and the cooperation between the Alliance and Horde was over. Genn foiled her plans there and made her pay the price for letting her guard down against them.

It also leads up to the discussion between her and Saurfang in “A good war” which the short stories were the next thing to come out after the video.

This patch is suppose to be an “Alliance get payback” moment and make the alliance players feel a bit better about themselves. I won’t shed tears if there are no pro-Horde cinematics this time around.

Right now we can only wait and hope they’ve got better things in store for us in future patches.

I don’t think Blizzard has said anything about it. There was a long thread on the old board where some people said it was not canon, so maybe that is what Atreis is talking about.

1 Like

More that what happened in the intro does not line up whatsoever with the siege. Horde never surged forward and counterattacked, Slyvanus never destroyed a tower, Anduin did not mass rez. There was no “for the Horde” moment in the entire siege, with suarfang yelling at us not to abandon our honor

I just assume that the things in the Intro happened right at the start of the Siege, since they line up with the ending of Old Soldier.

But I agree that that was the last time it felt really good to be Horde. And Alliance. Everyone liked that cinematic, and we all bought into the promise that both factions would have a chance to shine.

Sigh.

Edit: Further, watching that scene it looked like the Alliance was finally making good on Varian’s promise to retake Lordaeron, Anduin was growing into his role, and Sylvanas was learning to unify the Horde behind her, with no less than Saurfang being inspired by her leadership.

Imagine what an expansion it could have been if Blizzard had followed the implied promise of that cinematic, instead of the story we actually got.

20 Likes

No, I agree. What they did would work for a book. It doesn’t work for an MMO.

We’ve been a year without Saurfang trying to bring heroism back to the Horde, so we currently have none.

2 Likes

Andddd we’ll probably be waiting at least another year.

1 Like

I came back after leaving in Cata because of that Cinematic. I’m sticking around out of a hope that all of the build-up, obscured plot and tension come to something new, if not good. I was severely dissapointed to find that the narrative that the cinematic presented was not available in-game at all. We don’t even get to re-enact it before the events of the in-game event unfold.

I will never understand why Lordaeron didn’t happen before Teldrassil.

3 Likes

Interesting side note: When Metzen wrote the UC cinema, the idea of Teldrassil being blown up hadn’t been talked about yet. So…originally UC did happen before Teldrassil.

6 Likes