A New Scarlet Threat

I was told that my speculation was not welcome in the story forum, so I’m posting my theorycraft here. Hopefully that’s okay, it this is not where things like this belong I appologize in advance.

Not so long ago in the day’s ending Battle for Azeroth, secret finders found a collection of pamphlets spouting ridiculous conspiracy theories from a group called The Scarlet Brotherhood. These pamphlets were odd because they were the equivalent of an Azeroth rag magazine at the time and everyone dismissed them. They speculated that Anduin was secretly in a tryst with Sylvanas, and they had conspired to kill Princess Calia Menethil. There were truth among the lies however. In hindsight, Sylvanas and Anduin did become closer, although not romantic. and they are now, in the Shadowlands epilogue working together in the Maw, having developed an unexpected friendship, while Anduin feels like he cannot be the leader his people want him to be.

Calia having grown closer to the Forsaken, gifts Genn a sign of Goodwill, offering to ask the Forsaken to move troops out of Gilneas so that it can be reclaimed. When I went back to read these old pamphlet’s my jaw hit the floor, epecially the one titled The Cursed Old Wolf.

The Scarlet Brotherhood have already infiltrated Genn Greymane’s people. They will take the opportunity Calia gave Genn to launch an attack on the Forsaken, when they succeed they will also attack the Gilneans, they have no love of the Worgen, only see them as a means to an end.

Within these pamphlets there is also foreshadowing an Alliance civil war. With Anduin gone, the topic will come up about who should be king. The two strongest candidates are Turalyon and Genn Greymane. The Scarlet Brotherhood have already claimed that even though it pains them to side with a worgen, they will be trying to prop Greymane up as High King. Turalyon is a formidible military commander but he has no experience ruling a kingdom.

The Scarlet Brotherhood themselves want to put forward a third option- They claim to have the legitimate heir of Lordaeron in a safe place in Tirisfall, and they believe this male child, who they claim is also from noble Arathi lineage. Calia states in the novel Before the Storm that she had a daughter not a son, and she believes that her child is dead, killed by the Scourge invasion that ravaged Lordaeron.

These pamphlets seem to be the ravings of a mad man, one very close to the inner workings and politics of the Alliance. I would like to propose that the person who wrote these pamphlets is Joseph the Crazed (or Awakened.)

Joseph helped the Alliance purge the Scarlet Monastery in Mists of Pandaria. His moviations seem to be motivated by righteousness, he saw the error and terror of the Scarlet Crusade as evil and wanted a reform. But the more the player interacts with him the more insane he gets, it’s not demonic possesion that’s afflicting him, we have no concrete answer as of yet but my guess is void. His motivations quickly decend into jealousy and paranoid ramblings. The same kind of paranoia present in the pamphlets. He nervously reasons that he and “his boys” were forced to kill the other Crusaders and that he deserves the title of “Scarlet Champion”. He begins talking to himself, and ecstatically proclaims himself the new Scarlet Champion. In his final incarnation, he is found dancing in the middle of the Cathedral as the battle rages on, and goes on to reveal his plans to turn the Undercity into a “Scarlet paradise”. -Wowpedia.

Jospeh is already plotting the fall of the Forsaken and the rise of the Scarlet Brotherhood. One of the key points here connecting Joseph and the Scarlet Brotherhood is his insanity. If it’s void that is making him go crazy- the influence of N’Zoth for example. He could come to believe that he is the lost hier of Lordaeron and therefore Undercity and Tirisfal is rightfully his. Another interesting connection is his connection to a character named Captain Nials, who’s name spelt backwards is Slain, as in “killed” could this be a sublte hint that this character is hiding something? Could she be Calia’s long lost daugther? The one Calia herself assumes is dead?

Joesph had written her at least one letter which went unanswered. She did make an appearance in Battle for Azeroth in the Battle to reclaim Stromguard after the failure of the Gathering. Joseph could have got the story of Calia’s daughter’s survival from his previous aquaintance with her, and used that story, twisted in his own madness to prop himself and his own delusions.

The Epilogue of Arthas Rise of the Lich King still has some secrets to share. In the epilogue Arthas was shown visions of the future. One of those visions was rather simple and overlooked at the time but it’s the following:

A symbol appeared, one Arthas knew the L of Lordaeron impaled by a sword, but depicted in red not blue. The symbol changed, and became a red flame on a white background. The spark seemed to spark to life on it’s own and ingulfed the background to reveal the silvery waters of a expanse of sea. -Arthas Rise of the Lich King Epilogue

This is symbolism. The L symbol of Lordaeron imapled by a sword is the traditional symbol of the Scarlet Crusade, this symbom morphes into a red flame on a red background, which is the symbol of the Scarlet Renegades. Spark that burns that away. Fire is a symbol of transformation, creation and destruction. The destruction of something old to create something new. the fire burns away to reveal a sea which symbolizes formlessness, the unfathomable, and chaos.

The very next propehcy Arthas gets is something large and sinister rolling under the waves of this sea, which most likely symbolizes N’Zoth bound under the waves off the coast of Lordaeron.

With Calia’s recent reclaimation of Undercity, and her loyalties and goodwill to the Alliance, she may be handing the keys to the city in a way over to her own enemy and to an organization that is going to try to kill her and take Lordaeron for an illigitimate imposter king. But I do hope there may be some silver lining where Calia gets reunited with her long lost daughter.

4 Likes

They have an encounter in the Maw. It’s pretty clear that they have not been spending any time together Anduin is on one of his solitary walkabouts that he gets the urge to do whenever he feels like chucking his responsibilities to work out his personal issues.

1 Like

You mean I can be both a Worgen AND a part of the Scarlet Brotherhood, bound in a pact to eliminate the undead from the face of Azeroth?

Where do I sign up?

1 Like

Lad… you are the very thing you’re hoping to destroy. Not super up on Scarlet Lore, but I don’t think they’d let ya into their ranks. Unless it was for a sacrifice.

Your Worgen on the otherhand… Maybe if you don’t transform.

1 Like

In life, I was a paladin so full of zeal to smite the undead that not even being made undead can stop me from serving the Light. As a death knight, my life is torment either way, but even in death I can be a tool for the Light to use in its unending desire to bring order to the world and destroy the world of the unclean forsaken.

When my mission is complete, I will gladly face the punishment for what I am

Lets dull that edge here my friend.

To the OP, wasn’t this already discussed in the Story Forum, in a thread you were involved in, where it was speculation and theory crafting, which was very welcomed, but people had some varying disagreements with what you forwarded? Just right over here? https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/en/wow/t/the-scarlet-crusade/1328471

Not to rehash Bene’s entire argument, as well as my own, as that had been thoroughly defended, supported, and overall seemed accepted as a welcomed possibility to add some spice to the Forsaken, Gilneas, and Scarlet relations but also revitalized well over due zones for some updated story, through ways which argued that the Scarlets could find sympathy among dissatisfied, or already radical, citizens of various human kingdoms.

That isn’t to say what you put forward isn’t outside the realm of possibility. If Calia did indeed have a kid, and if they very much are still alive, then there is technically speaking a living heir to Lordearon. Although living can get a bit tricky considering that Calia is still upright, walking, and talking. Still, living to a Scarlet’s sense would be fully supported by this possible daughter. It could be an in, but unlikely considering the current front runner in this theory through Nails seems disinterested in returning communications to a further crazed Scarlet.

We also have not seen Joseph the Crazed since his introduction in Cata, having been removed in Mists when the dungeons were revamped. His current status is unknown and could very well be dead and gone when Sally came back with a vengeance, throwing out the entire theory here. Further, considering the matter in which Calia reclaimed the city and reformed the Desolate Council in that Belmont, especially, but also Faranell, Voss, and Velonara are there as equals I cannot see simply killing her somehow plunges the Forsaken and Lordearon into a birthright feud over the throne, especially with Scarlets, anymore than a simple religious crusade would already lend itself to. There’s not extra oomf there if Calia dies in this instance.

I simply do not see an additional threat through this proposal beyond what there already is in enclaves and remnants in Northrend, cells in the Eastern Kingdoms, and possibly another tiny hold out in the Monastery.

1 Like

The player champions story wise do the same thing to the Scarlet Onslaught that they do to the original Scarlets in Stratholme, pretty much upend t heir organisation by exposing the demon passing as it’s head.

1 Like

Very well written sir. I enjoyed the read and the replies. A scarlet threat I could see. The end of the Forsaken could happen in a number of ways. Necromantic energies waning (I’ve never seen a canon definition of how long it lasts other than DKs raising a ghoul that dies after a frw minutes). Worgen wiping them out. The Alliance deciding they want Lordaeron back for a foothold in the area. But it’s just not gonna happen. From a game standpoint the Forsaken arent going anywhere.

But what if they did? What would become of the Scarlet anything? They were originally “good guys” before Arthas lost Sylvannas and a chunk of the undead and the Horde accepted them.

2 Likes

boost

10/char

The Scarlets aren’t openminded, in your case they’d end your mission with the punishment you claim to desire.

AHEM You mean His Holiness St. Joseph the Awakened?

His whereabouts are unknown.