A New Mounts Drop Mechanism Philosophy

Currently mount drops, for the most part is at around 2%. Some are higher than that at 5%, few are at 30% and even fewer are granted at first kill, but for the most part the vast majority are hovering around the 2% drop rate mark.

From my personal experience after trying a certain rare (Hopecrucher rare in SL) for more than 100 tries, the grind becomes boring and feels like auto pilot. I know I’ll get the mount eventually and yes, I’m Venthyre when I defeat the rare. It feels great once a player gets the mount, but the journey gets old after a while. Is there another way to change the journey to obtain the mounts and make it exciting?

What if world rares drop their mounts after certain number of tries such as 45 tries? And what if rare A blocks rare B from being attackable unless the mount from rare A is obtained after 45 tries or 60 days after the release of rare A if a player doesn’t want to farm rare A for that mount for some reason. This way if a player chooses not to farm rare A they can still farm rare B but after 60 days, whereas players who farm rare A will get the mount after 45 tries and have rare B attackable that same day.

Benefits I see from such new approach is that the journey will be feel good knowing for a fact that after certain tries I’m getting the mount and having more lined up around the corner. You can have a bunch of mounts in the A category then after 45 days it opens up B category then C category and so on.

For raid mounts, What if the last boss from each wing drops a mount after 20 tries? Having said that the last boss in the last wing drops 2 mounts. First mount is obtainable after 20 tries while the second mount uses the 2% chance drop and acts as long-term goal for hardcore mount collectors in future expansions. Mounts are droppable in LFR mode only except the 2% mount that can be obtained in LFR or mythic difficulty. This will provide an incentive for players to join LFR raid long after they geared their characters.

Rares that do drop mounts should have purple dragon around their portraits, while rares that drop pets should have black dragon around their portraits. Makes it easy for players what drops what.

Just wait until they are on Remix and buy them from the vendor :slight_smile:

I never do an activity just for the mount. I am doing repeated activities to improve my rep, and improve my gear. If mount drops while doing these, that’s good. If mount doesnt drop, it’s all good. There are 200 mounts already on my collection just by playing the game.

I respect that, However for the most part in wow most players run old stuff for mounts. I used to not care about mounts like you but that changed. Every time I get a mount is like scoring big. It’s exciting, but I do think that the journey to get the mount gets old due to low drop rate.