A look at the future of the Forsaken - Support For Calia ♕

Imagine if this was all an act and Calia is just a psychopath that craves power.

2 Likes

You never met any of my cheapskate players :slight_smile:
I almost miss those days of making bags that held 28,000 arrows.

Almost.

They’re too busy BEING controversial.

4 Likes

I strongly agree with the fact, Forsaken need something more than just being that stereotypical villian. The major backlash I’ve noticed it always someone prioritizing their own RP, over others instead of just accepting that not everyone will not like your character.

This is something I strongly commend the Horde players about, they don’t shy away from this, they fully accept what they do, even when they are clearly screwed by someone OOCly. Give the Forsaken something to look forward too, plus I really, REALLY want to smash in some Undead heads. lol

XD I am totally over the days of ammo management.

2 Likes

I do miss that when i bought those Stormpike arrows and readied to fire you could see the arrow tips having that frost glow.

1 Like

It’s simple.

We have Calia as a for show monarch. She’s too useful for propaganda and the aforementioned legal mumbo jumbo. The Alliance are constantly pulling treaties out of their rear, let’s return fire.

Then have a new Desolate Council run the actual day to day. I definitely want Lilian Voss and Calder Gray on it but beyond that I’m pretty indifferent. Would definitely have a representative from the Deathguard and Cult of the Forgotten Shadow on there as well.

13 Likes

Forsaken deserve more than the lightbulbed undead that’s Calia. Also, she becoming leader feels like the forsaken are going to the same route that happened to the Night/Blood elfs and the Worgen: Becoming generic good guys, not allowing them to show their “edginess” or “Edge”. Of course, they don’t need to become the Alliexpress version of the Scourge, but idk, maybe some kind of balance is too much to ask.

3 Likes

Big agree, we can always use more visual splendor.

bc Nelves and Worgen have never pre-emptively struck the Horde during Legion or went berserk in BfA. Also, belves have slunk off to snag artifacts for themselves in BfA. They’re not as generic as you think.

This is such an inaccurate reading of this quote that I am tempted to conclude you may only be aware of it secondhand.

First of all, it is a strategic philosophy from her days as a living ranger general. It is meant to indicate her ability to think cold and strategically, and as an archery analogy to clarify to her critics the necessity of expending troops. An arrow is useless unless you are willing to sacrifice it. Yet you cant waste arrows because (at the time the quote was made at least) arrows were a finite resource, and a bow is useless without it.

The quote was also recalled in the flashback sequence of Edge of Night to set up Sylvanas’ growth, and to contrast her feeling toward the Elven Rangers, against her feeling toward the Forsaken. It calls back to how, during Sylvanas quest for vengeance she did treat the Forsaken like she had her Rangers as Ranger General, but that once that purpose had expired, they took on a new meaning.

Throughout her interaction with the Valkyr, Sylvanas struggles with her identity as a cold and heartless tactician, and her sentiment for her people. What she settles on, as an excuse to go on living despite her will to die (in no small part because of having seen the horrors of the shadowlands) is that the Forsaken are her “bulwark against the infinite”. She creates this new analogy to reconcile her protective sentiment for the Forsaken, with her imaginary heartless pragmatism. This is a theme that goes back at least to BC, when you bring her the necklace. She always pretends she doesn’t care. She returns to confront Garrosh, who now treats the Forsaken as expendable, as she witnessed in restrained sympathy in the vision the Valkyr showed her. She explains that she used to think that the Forsaken were expendable… but she didn’t anymore.

9 Likes

Actually, Genn pulled his forces out of the fight against the legion to get revenge on Sylvanas because he assumed she tricked them and abandoned them on purpose at the broken shore.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what it would be.

The players wouldn’t want Calia, but their characters and the Forsaken NPCs would. Because there’s no logical reason for them to want to stay miserable when they don’t have to.

So Blizzard is stuck with the choice between:
A. Choosing what makes the most sense for the story(i.e. the Forsaken choosing someone that will actually help them), or
B. Choosing what will please the fanbase(i.e. the Forsaken choosing some edgelord that’ll keep them angsty)

Of course, Blizzard has gone route A before. When they had the Blood Elves purify the Sunwell. Storywise, something every BE would want. But it erased pretty much everything that was interesting about playing a BE character.

1 Like

To be honest, while I’m not a fan of another human (adjacent) character being put front and center, I’ve been a bit baffled by the outright hostility towards Calia in general. It feels like wanting your cake and to eat it too, to not want the Forsaken treated as monsters or villains but to also vehemently dislike the existence of a character in a good position to actually change that. The Forsaken can’t just be edgy edgy rogue state forever, because it starts to stretch thin the idea of them continuing to hold what they have uncontested.

However, I don’t think she should be the leader, as there’s already lore in place for actual line of succession. But in an advisor role? Hell yes, because that would finally put to rest the question of if the Forsaken have the inherent right to Lordaeron. She’s the heir, she says they’re her people, therefore places like Stormwind have no bearing ‘reclaiming’ Lordaeron.

1 Like

This requires some considerable speculation.

How is Calia going to make them less miserable, and what do we have to suggest that my character, and the NPCs acknowledge that? Its not like we were enslaved by Sylvanas. NPCs weren’t sending me to kill their former spouses for moving on in life because of some spell Sylvanas had them under. I eat humanoid and undead corpses. Now-a-days I do it mostly to tea-bag people in PvP, not even because I need it to survive. Heck, I learned how to make shadow food and I have a supply of shadow meat. I eat people for fun. I, and many Forsaken NPCs are what Calia would be saving her minority supporters from.

The holy light hurts undead. Calia is probably horrifying to most Forsaken.

6 Likes

Calia tried to get the Forsaken to leave the Horde.
She’s best best best best best friends with the entire Alliance and lived with Alliance leaders.

She isn’t Horde.

7 Likes

And there is no lore it was the Alliance who killed them.

3 Likes

Between Derek, Voss and the undead Kaldorei, not a single character has reacted that way yet. So…it would seem not.

She literally sits on the Horde Council with Voss.

Also, dunno if you know this, but Blizzard pretty much said the faction war is done and isn’t coming back. So having Alliance frieds, like, doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Thats not what they said at all. There’s even an alliance quest on the PTR to spy on the horde meeting in Tirisfal.

2 Likes

Keeping tabs on the other side is just common sense. It’s not an indication of hostile intent.

Implies that there is an other side

Or perhaps you think the new BGs promised are going to just be footbomb tournaments?

3 Likes