A lack of customer service: Or how I got told to reroll a 1000+ hour character to fix a problem

Basically what it says in the title.
It was late, the end of a long raid day and I muzzily turned in the head of Onyxia. Despite double checking to make sure I had selected the appropriate reward, I accidentally clicked the wrong one. I’m not making excuses. It was my fault. But guildmates encouraged me to contact support.

My first response more or less ignored my problem passing the buck, telling me that their hands are tied by the devs, instructing me to destroy, vendor, or disenchant the quest reward if I didn’t like it.

Incredulous, I asked if they meant that if I deleted my character on purpose, destroyed an item on purpose, or purposefully rolled on a server other than the one I wanted, they would help me, but not if a simple misclick on a quest turn in at 1 in the morning prevented me from ever getting full bis, they confirmed that yes, in that instance, my only option was to reroll the character from scratch.

I pay (paid. I’m not going to support lunacy like this any longer) for four accounts. That character has 1050 hours /played. He has nearly full BiS and is revered with Thorium Brotherhood, and my only recourse is to reroll?

Again, I’m not saying it’s not my fault. It is 100% my fault. I messed up. But to hide behind a claim that the developers want there to be consequences to mistakes while selling character transfers and restoring deleted items is ludicrous.

They do not fix mistakes like that made by the player. They never have.

14 Likes

I do want to point out that there are systems coded by the developers to help correct these mistakes (and until the other day, there wasn’t for being on the wrong realm in Classic). There isn’t for swapping a quest reward. That does strongly point to the devs not wanting players to be able to swap quest rewards. :confused:

I’ll be honest, I don’t understand this “BIS or die” mentality in WoW Classic.

15 Likes

Depending on the level of the character, you can restore it yourself on the Character Selection screen for each realm.

You can restore items yourself every 15 days using the self-service item restoration page.

You can purchase character migration. As well, rerolling is free.

Correct. The same as it has been since Vanilla. Your actions have consequences.

They are three separate items with three separate solutions. Comparing them is like comparing apples and trout.

14 Likes

…You realize better items are going to be released as soon as AQ25/40 are released, right?

Sure, you didn’t get your instant BiS, but you’ll recover just fine

Sadly this boils down to human error, and trust me I’ve been burned by that too many times, but you selected what you selected

Consider how this could be exploited if people just wanted to revert their choices, say after a spec change and be like “actually i wanted this”, it’d be a mess if GMs could help in this regard

I’m sorry, but I really don’t think there’s too much that can be done

15 Likes

Here is your answer.

It did not ignore your problem, or “pass the buck”. It just wasn’t the answer you wanted to hear.

This was not the answer to your overall issue. The answer was that they cannot swap quest rewards. They have never been able to do that, as far as I am aware. They have, in the past, been able to restore accidentally-deleted items, but that is different (and has changed since the self-restoration feature has been out).

The response to destroy, vendor, or disenchant was probably a response to you saying something like “I don’t want this item” or “I can’t use this item”.

In this particular instance, yes. It’s a non-repeatable quest, so if you want to complete the quest again, it will have to be on a different character.

What lunacy? As you said yourself, multiple times:

GM’s are not there to do whatever you want, just because you “pay”. They are bound by the policies and procedures the Developers put in place.

I highly support you taking your money to a different company if you disagree with the policies. That’s what capitalism is all about. But you are not going to find a different game company that will give you anything you want, whenever you ask.

14 Likes

Technically speaking, Nafun, our Support Staff wouldn’t directly assist in any of those situations as there are systems in place for it. If you deleted a character there is an undelete option, if you destroyed an item there is an Item Restoration system and now Character Transfers are available for those who wish to use them.

Prior to the introduction of the Paid Character Transfer option, we would not be able to help outside of those Free Character Moves that were previously made available.

To be clear, you weren’t told simply to reroll, but if you absolutely must have the item that you were going for on a quest that you already completed, yes, that would be an option.

I’m not sure how that compares, Nafun. You admit you made a mistake, but the reason we don’t fix that particular mistake has nothing to do with the other two items.

In Vanilla, Game Masters would help when a player accidentally deleted, vendored or disenchanted an item. We now have an Item Restoration system that allows players to do them for themselves. There is a cooldown associated with the system so that players can fix the occasional mistake without using it a means to be careless with item interactions.

Character Transfers is a service that was introduced originally in Vanilla and something that was requested. Nothing to do with your request at all.

Our Customer Support staff is there to help in many cases, but support for Classic is limited by design. An outline can be found here: WoW Classic Customer Support and You

If you would like to see policy change about how we handle player error regarding quest item choice, you will want to submit your suggestions via the in-game option in the help menu or by posting in the WoW Classic General Discussion forum so our Devs can review and take the request into consideration.

9 Likes