A horrible obtrusive floating bar all over my screen

Something has clearly gone wrong here. This massive bar is glued to my screen on the forums, obscuring a massive amount of my view. Doesn’t seem to be any way to get rid of it. It has relegated the actual forum posts to a tiny portion of the screen when that’s exactly what we’re here to see. The page is now brimming with clutter and wasted space.

The text on the bar is a much larger size than everything else, suggesting it is somehow the most important thing for us to look at, when clearly that isn’t the case. Also it keeps bugging me to download battlenet which obviously I already have!

Obviously this must be some kind of bug because no one would design something this bad on purpose.

7 Likes

modern day UI/UX designers have a tendancy to make things terrible then force it onto others because we do not have the capacity to hack the platform and make it how we want it to be. ie legible, and visually appealing. So they make it stupidly bad and we can either deal with it, or leave

Youtube is another prime example of bottom dweller ui designers. Billion dollar companies, 5 dollar web design budgets.

7 Likes

After using it more I have more gripes. The stupid dropdown menus really mess with basic forum navigation. I’m in a thread, I move my mouse to click back to the forum, and it is extremely easy to overshoot and bring down the dropdown. It’s so damn irritating.

3 Likes

and those dropdowns are huge, I have a 24 inch monitor and from where the dropdown starts for diablo, it is almost half way down the page, it would be hilariously big on a single 30 something inch monitor, or a full 4k tv display. The warcraft one is even longer again, it extends down nearly 2/3rds of the screen. Do they think every forum user has poor eyesight and needs large letters with vast gaps in between lines?

Also, gotta love the huge chunk allocated to a mobile game marked as “upcoming”.

4 Likes

i have poor eyesight 25/40 and even i find this obnoxious.

2 Likes

They also moved the huge graphic on the main page above all other useful content, including the forum notifications which are now halfway down the page. Given the questionable UX/UI decisions in Dragonflight, this is not surprising. This new dropdown menus are also laggy with browser hardware acceleration disabled. It’s not as bad as, but more similar to, the talent loadouts featured on the armory. When you hover over anything it takes longer to load. If you want to share your browser in discord, you have to have hardware acceleration disabled.

2 Likes

This is a big concern for me. I had to disable hardware acceleration just to be able to view images on the armory in Firefox. Images on the armory turn into a set of thin vertical bars that is annoying to look at when hardware acceleration is enabled. Hardware acceleration in my browser has caused issues on other websites as well.

It’s irritating having the menus expand without needing to click on them. Most of the time I don’t want to show the menu at all. It’s important to me to have to click on the menu to expand it so that it only expands when I want it to. The menus are so comically large that they extend halfway down the screen and cover portions of the forum posts that I’m trying to read. There’s a lot of dead space between each menu option (whether it’s the menu bar itself or the drop down menus) that could be removed to leave more screen space for forum posts (which is why we’re here obviously, to read or write posts on the forums).

I am on a 17" gaming laptop at 1920x1200 resolution.

2 Likes

I’ll also state that the bread crumb bar having the same background color as the page is also a bug.

1 Like