A Genuine Pandaren Question

That sounds good to me, Wurga. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s wrong with challenging faulty logic?

They didnt ask for you to challenge it. You’re not paying for their sub, you don’t need to offer unwelcome criticism. Basic social courtesy, y’know.

5 Likes

That, and frankly because it is RP, I am pretty sure there is plenty of leeway for a Pandaren character to use that mindset.

It’s not like I am making the half-elf/troll demon hunter in Wrath here.

2 Likes

It’s very interesting to see people posting on non-Pandaren characters telling others who are posting from a Pandaren pov how to valorize their culture. It’s also interesting seeing people posting on Horde characters telling people why they should not choose the Horde IC. The third thing I find really interesting about the last few posts is that once the argument (in the intellectual sense of the word) evolved into a general discussion of the relative merits of the factions as a whole no Pandaren have posted.

I am not implying anything about any of the players’ ability to make well- informed positive contributions to the discussion. Simply pointing out that it is interesting to step back and contemplate the extent to which metagaming has become influential in it.

One of the great pleasures of roleplaying is that it is a non-zero sum infinite game. Roleplaying is not a team sport. As a community we treat Azeroth as a playground. There’s no way to win at building sand castles.

Going back to the original question which started this thread. The best advice I can give you about exploring the process of finding your own answer is to attend events where you are likely to find Pandaren who wear both blue & red tabards. Talk to them IC. Ask them why they are making the choices they do. Talk to them OOC via whispers or other channels such as community. Ask them how they came to decide as a player how their characters deal with the events of the world in their daily lives.

1 Like

Why is pointing out faulty, villainizing logic socially discourteous, but accusing input of being “typical Alliance flamers” not?

2 Likes

Because, quite frankly, the ‘Oh but why would they ever be horde?’ logic was unwelcome when it was stated said Pandaren had his own qualms about the horde and it was being left well alone until Alliance players new to the thread decided to input on the matter.

1 Like

You requested input. If you don’t like what you got, that’s fine, but you can’t discredit it or write it off as antisocial just because you’re angry at Alliance players.

1 Like

Wasn’t writing it off because of a dislike for Alliance players. Was writing it off because it more or less devolved into ‘Eugh, why would anyone be horde?’

1 Like

That’s not true, though. You posted this…

In response to this…

It seems like an overreaction, frankly, since it’s not inappropriate or incorrect to point out that Ji Firepaw is mostly absent from the narrative. It can’t really be construed as a “flame,” let alone a “standard flame,” which you seem to have been anticipating.

So it doesn’t seem like it devolved at all. Not to the point that such hostility is necessary, anyway.

2 Likes

They asked for input on, and I quote,

and

They did not ask you to jump in and start criticizing their RP characters. I know you feel the need to shove logic down everyone’s throats, but sometimes? You -don’t need to do that-. Scary, I know.

5 Likes

I think logic that unfairly villainizes a faction is worth talking about.

I was unaware of the context of that statement, as the thread had been deleted. It was inappropriate of me and I am apologizing here and in the alternate thread.

No one was attacking any character. Nor have you explained why presuming Alliance input to be hostile and reacting with hostility is socially courteous, but providing input in a thread that requests input is not.

In terms of RP, Plenty of individual already villify the horde (with good reason), few (and even fewer on blue side) take into account there would be plenty of reasons for a Pandaren to genuinely go “No. I don’t in fact like the Blue team.”

Does it villify them? Yes. Want to know what else though? Garrosh and a large portion of the horde who devasted Pandarian are a special word. What word is this? Let me think… DEAD.

From an RP standpoint as well, would Garrosh’s actions suddenly override the fact the Belves helped overthrow Lei Shen (yes, Kirin Tor and all but that break of neutrality is a black mark) or the rest of the horde which actively battles to overthrow him?

That said, the distinct issue is that one party largely had the group the given character had an issue with violently gutted and ground to powder because the world went ‘lol, you’re an adorable tyrant.’ The other faction, however, largely still has the blackmarks present and acts like they did nothing wrong because it wasn’t SW being sacked.

1 Like

Thank you for apologizing for that, at least. Not going to bother arguing the rest because I don’t have the interest in arguing with you. No point in it.

3 Likes

I guess this is where I keep getting caught up. Because Garrosh died, what he did doesn’t count. But because he died, what the current Horde is doing also doesn’t count?

Like, with relation to a Huojin Pandaren being leery of the Alliance because of some dubious labor practices in Honeydew, how do you explain them not being leery of Horde slavery?

This thread has become very strange.

6 Likes

Quite simply? He is leery about it, Never once said they weren’t.

They severely dislike the practice, yes. They view it as a stain on the horde, yes. It is a stain they want to see removed.

Then what is it that records show happened the last time Alliance got an unconditional victory? Hmm, lets see here. Oh look! Enslavement of an entire race and then acting like the orcs were unjustified about being angry when they eventually got free.

They do not like it, but they also advocate against it and do not practice it.

1 Like

This frickin’ expansion, man. It put something in the water, I swear.

7 Likes

The Huojin? Or the Horde?

If the latter, this is untrue. If the former, how do you reconcile advocating against slavery while supporting the faction that practices it?