A entire Race, damed to the maw

“Description: A race of giants was sent to the Maw long ago, and threatened the Jailer for supremacy of his realm. Their bound hands are all that remain.”

how bad and absolutely devastating must it be to be born as baby of this giant race if an entire species is dammed to the maw and get obliverated there, and only the hand still remain.

i mean, not even the FORSAKEN are as entire race dammed to the maw, but a entire race of giants were?

2 Likes

Some actually pretty cool world building. I’ll take it

3 Likes

It’s weird because it doesn’t really add up for anyone to have been sent to the Maw in its current configuration “long ago,” yet one of the mounts outright mentions the Beastwarrens, suggesting it had to have been recent enough for the Jailer to have gained mobility and used his broken chains to drag together the landmasses that currently comprise his domain around Torghast.

Makes me wonder if maybe these giants could have been denizens of one of those realms that got dragged in. Korthia’s seemingly going to have its own ecosystem of creatures in 9.1, so perhaps the fragments of realms that were dragged in around Torghast to form what we currently see in the Maw were also originally inhabited by natives who eventually got wiped out by the Jailer and his growing army as he laid claim to his new territory.

It must be so that sending someone to the Maw for being too threatening is justified, otherwise the creepy people that just want to get off to torturing the fictional character Sylvanas wouldn’t be able to respond to “how can Sylvanas be sent to the Maw for crimes that are lesser than those of a planet-destroyer in Revendreth” with the old, tiring, exhausting, always predictable “ahem, ummmm, ackkkktually, the Maw is also for threats to the Shadowlands, so people can go there if they are simply deemed too risky, even if they’re good people.”

Glory to the Arbiter and the Purpose!

4 Likes

I can think of another race…

3 Likes

I mean, you’re not wrong this time.

The first - and only - “thing” I think about when I read about these “Hand” creatures is Thing from the Addams Family. I am hoping this is a hint at some more " The Addams Family" type lore. Maybe we meet a smaller hand-dude who is the WoW version of “Thing”. And he leads us to the WoW version of Morticia and Cousin It.

Is it to early to demand a “Thing” Allied Race?

1 Like

Something to keep in mind here is that ‘race’ doesn’t necessarily point to a numerous and thriving population. I believe there are only four named giants, and that may be the extent of their ‘race’, not unlike the race of Heaiodic Cyclops that were bound in Tartarus until Zeus freed them and in return they forged his thunderbolts. They were considered a race despite only being three brothers.

2 Likes

One of the most interesting things to come out of the Dialogue between Alexandros and the minions of Bastion was whg he was “unworthy” of Bastion.

They explain that sometimes the Arbiter puts souls where they need to be. In Alexandros’ case, he was sent to Maldraxxus to fight his long time enemy Kel’thuzad.

That knowledge could answer why Sylvanas is in the Maw.

She went there of her own choice. She’s been acting as the Jailor’s agent since before Wrathgate.

1 Like

Couldn’t of been before the Wrathgate. She didn’t interact with the Valkyr until her suicide at ICC.

2 Likes

They also explain that he has no burdens of which to send him to Bastion or Revendreth!

Bastion and Revendreth are places where Burdens are to be alleviated(Trauma in the case of Bastion and Sin in the case of Revendreth).

Revendreth is where Souls whose Sins get in the way of their serving the Shadowlands(too overly Paranoid, too Proud, too Wrathful, too Desirous, too Greedy and too Envious specifically) so they get sent there to have such Sins purged from them and if impossible they get sent to the Maw in order to not cause problems!

The Giants of course probably were sent to the Maw to hamstring the Jailer since they were so dangerous and powerful!

Sylvanas being sent to the Maw is probably because the Arbiter knows how close the Jailer is getting to his end game(she saw Uther’s Soul after all) and needs to send someone who would draw Azeroth’s attention to the Maw while serving the Jailer and Sylvanas who is overly independent and refuses to serve others is the perfect person to hand to the Jailer!

Sylvanas due to her love of independence managed to get the Jailer to put off enslaving Anduin long enough to make us strong enough to remove Sire Denathrius!

If it was Kel’Thuzad serving the Jailer’s plan(which would have been the case had Sylvanas not been sent to the Maw by the Arbiter) he would have simply Dominated Anduin and be done with it! The Arbiter made the right choice handing a Villain whom would slow the Jailer’s plans with her love of independence!

4 Likes

I think you hit the nail right on the head here Yven.

On the other hand, I think Sylvanas was intercepted on the way to the Aribter by … her Val’kyr. Who were not acting under her direction but that of Helya… and that whole sacrifice thing? Just a way of Helya manipulating her to choose her path.

1 Like

The idea that the Arbiter would use a mortal as a pawn, having them tortured in the Maw, in order to further a ‘necessary’ agenda—and consequently Sylvanas being sent there completely independently of any of her actions—makes me almost physically sick. The idea that someone is condemned to torture just because it’s useful, and not because they deserved it, is an absolute mockery of justice. The Arbiter can do her own dirty work.

1 Like

I think that’s the whole point.

The entire Shadowlands is flawed, even the Arbiter. It would be some twist if the Arbiter’s judgement was arbitrary. Har har that’s the joke.

Maybe the entire Shadowlands has no order it’s just based on flippant whims on who survives and who gets turned into raw anima to be used as a fuel source. I do think people are putting way too much blind faith in “the Purpose” and just believing there is some ordained order and justice in this system, but they never said that the Arbiter judges souls based on a system.

From what we have seen the Arbiter judges people based on usefulness to the Shadowlands.

Edit: if anyone is going to have the job of judging souls in the Shadowlands. I hope it’s Uther, that would be such a good thing for him.

1 Like

I personally like this idea way more than my own idea of why Sylvanas was sent to the Maw(I only came up with it to entertain Renautus’s idea)!

1 Like

This does seem to be the case, and I think the most baffling thing about this forum is that nobody seems to think that this is a problem. Everyone acts like evildoers are being properly punished in the Maw and Revendreth, as if the system is operating in a just way. Everyone is obsessed about stopping the Jailer, as if that will solve everything. The Jailer being evil doesn’t mean that the Arbiter is good. Destroy them both.

1 Like

She may already be dead and about to have her corpse looted by the Jailer…

1 Like

Absolutely!

I don’t think machines would be the best judge of a soul’s character. It would have to be someone with empathy, instead of someone just checking boxes.

There’s a sinstone of a person in Revendreth, whose only sin was that they “had good intentions” That’s the guys whole sinstone.