A bit confused about Rehgar

Rehgar has the guise of being a guy who trains warriors. You have no proof that people know that the individuals are slaves. You have no proof that Rehgar isn’t paying guards under the table to keep things secret.

Meanwhile the comic flat out tells us the Crimson Ring is underground.

Again, just because something is illegal doesn’t mean it is not a normalized part of the culture. Weed is still an underground thing in many parts of the US (my state included). Yet, I am hard pressed to find anyone who has any majorly negative opinions on it.

And this isn’t me comparing the two things, this is just me pointing out that normalization doesn’t mean legalization. And if you are operating a slave ring in the heart of major city… Where the prisons are in on the trade… You may not like it but that is a systemic problem. A systemic problem that persist despite legal enforcement alludes to a characteristic of culture.

1 Like

I don’t think it is very useful to think of this as a Horde/Alliance thing.

Various particular cultures on Azeroth, some of them affiliated with the Horde and the Alliance, have kept slaves at various times.

We know for sure that slavery happened in Lordaeron because of Thrall’s entire backstory, but we also know that it appeared to be largely or entirely underground.

Slavery of non-Forsaken seems to have been accepted if not widely practiced in Undercity.

The Dark Irons had a culture that was largely built upon slavery. I assume that this has been changed since they joined the Alliance, but we don’t have direct lore about it, to my knowledge.

Goblins definitely had slavery as a part of their culture; the Goblin intro has you being enslaved by Gallywix to pay off debt.

There are a lot more examples. By and large, slavery is not widely practiced by either faction, at least not openly, but you can find instances.

13 Likes

I never intended to make it a Horde vs Alliance thing… I was just answering the question of the OP, who is specifically asking about an orc slave owner.

Then Treng got butthurt because orcs might have a negative quality about them, God forbid.

Considering there are no places where Whips are used how would one tell where Slaves are kept anyways unless they Questgiver outright tells you?

Zandalari also enslaved the entire goblin race too up until they rebelled only 100 years ago.

Which is really weird because Shadows of the Horde and some Zuldazar quests both talk about how the Zandalari see themselves as above needing slaves. So I guess goblins are the exception.

All I did was point out that you lied.

:man_shrugging:

I mean, you said I lied. But I didn’t. Regardless if you want to except my perspective or not. I think my interpretation of the lore there is completely valid.

Akiyass: It was affiliated with Orgrimmar.
Blizzard: It’s underground.

I was specifically referencing the quest in Durotar that gives you Ogrimmar rep lol.

1 Like

Cataclysm was famed for being intern work. They had to redo the forsaken newbie area because of it.

In three of the examples that I cited it is written right into the story. In the case of the Forsaken…you are right, I suppose. I’m trying to remember, but I seem to recall that they had some people in chains and collars. Could be a faulty memory. Or, this being the Forsaken, maybe it was just a bondage thing.

It’s possible that this belief came about after the goblin revolt as a way for the Zandalari to sooth their wounded pride over losing control of the goblins.

3 Likes

Ah chains… An excellent way to notice Slaves…

Alas! We don’t see much uses for chained Slaves in Stormwind incidentally… Mostly because Stormwind Farms are so small aside from the Undead overrun Duskwood and Westfall(which is too poor for slaves).

Chained Slaves aren’t seen in Arathi Highlands either since it’s a battlefield.

Once Gilneas is restored and Lordaeron is repopulated by the Alliance the chained up slaves may appear once again!

SotH had it as a belief they had back during their alliance with the mogu empire too. I guess they could have swapped positions on slavery a few times over the centuries.

1 Like

It’s also a massive part of the Goblin Lifestyle. And before that the Zandalari lifestyle.

Just because it gives rep with Org doesn’t mean they are associated. It’s just game mechanics, basically every quest in Durotar gives org rep.

2 Likes

Alternatively their could have been contrasting philosophies within the Zandalari about slavery. Group A are against having slaves, while group B sees nothing wrong with having slaves, but nothing is officially done about the contrast due it being a moot issue with the current royal family…

Another possible theory is that the Zandalari stance on slavery shifted depending on the current King/Queen.

Yeah, but it is still worth referencing.

Blizzard makes whatever stuff up they want as suits them. Apparently the Warchief’s word is law but at the same time people, including someone Thrall saw as a close advisor, could practice slavery when Thrall outright said he hates and despises the practice in the very same comic series it happens in. It making any sense tends to be pretty optional.

They just wanted to make Varian a Gladiatorial slave so they made slavery a thing in Horde society.

8 Likes