A bit confused about Rehgar

I’m not very familiar with the comics, but I just got to the Shaman class hall and Rehgar is presented as an unambiguously heroic figure, despite (to my knowledge) being a slaver in the past. I know he “let his gladiators go” as a test of character or whatever but I’m not sure how that excuses owning and trading slaves. Am I missing something with him? Was slavery just a part of society at that time?

(I hope I’m misinterpreting the situation because I really feel like orcs need more heroes)

1 Like

It was a plot hook to make varian a slave. it didn’t exist before and stopped existing after. Rehgar’s a reformed slaver turned hero.

5 Likes

Technically it existed after for one singular questline with Rehgar’s old business partner:
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Spiketooth

2 Likes

being a slaver as orc is not a bad thing. Don’t apply irl human morality

You’ll enjoy the lore a lot more if you just stop questioning if any of it makes sense. :joy:

5 Likes

The Alliance keeps Slaves… https://wow.gamepedia.com/Precious_Cargo
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Show_of_Strength

Rehgar was a Shaman Slave Master during the Comics and that’s where He was both a Slave Master and a Gladiator Teacher to Varian, Valeera, and Broll during the Arena Battles.

Now He’s more of a Shaman Hero helping you the Shaman Player take down the Legion.

Slave ownership is normalized in orc culture. This is evident by the Crimson Ring being affiliated with Ogrimmar in-game. Valeera being bought from Ogrimmar’s prisons, despite Thrall supposedly banning the practice, and the Crimson Ring training their Gladiators in the Ring of Valor in Ogrimmar.

It is important to note that Thrall was raised by humans, and has a human education. So there as aspects of orc culture that does not align with his morals, so he is not an accurate representation of orcish concepts of virtue. There are several facets or orc culture that he did not wish to continue in his vision of a New Horde, but such things are difficult to abolish without being tyrannical.

So, there wasn’t much he could do about slavery in the Horde due to it’s sheer normalcy and prevalence in the culture. From an orcish perspective, being a slave owner would not diminish your capacity for heroism and virtue in the slightest.

3 Likes

No it isn’t.

Lie to yourself all you want. Do not lie to me.

3 Likes

You’re lying though. The Crimson Ring isn’t affiliated with Orgrimmar at all. It’s underground.

Rehgar was known as a trainer for warriors.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Crimson_Ring

Slave ownership was also a big part of Kul’tiran lifestyle / practices until the activity seems to have completely vanished in BFA.

3 Likes

We do not know that. If anything, there is evidence of the opposite. Doing quests for the Crimson Ring in-game gives you Ogrimmar rep.

And just because something is illegal doesn’t mean it’s not a normal part of the culture.

I have never heard of that, but I would not doubt it. And if there is even half the evidence for it as there is with orcs, then I’ll accept it.

Yes we do. They specifically hold arena bouts in Dire Maul because it’s not legal. The only thing they do in orgrimmar is “train warriors”

there are no crimson ring arena bouts that happen in orgrimmar.

Slave Warriors.

Again, doing quests for the Crimson Ring gives you Ogrimmar Rep. And Again, just because something is Illegal does not mean it’s not a normal part of the culture.

That is why I mentioned that Thrall, the likely law maker in this case, was raised and educated by humans. It makes sense that Thrall is not as familiar with the cultural norms of the orcs as a whole.

As a slave. He’s literally named “Thrall.”

9 Likes

Ashvane hasn’t stopped enslaving people(while kidnapping Children behind everyone’s back) and https://wow.gamepedia.com/Show_of_Strength has Slavery mentioned as normal for Kul’Tirans with Mogu being more brutal than they.

6 Likes

Certainly not entirely. We have no reason to believe that orgrimmar knew they were slaves. Especially when Rehgar is entrusted with what is essentially the children of nobility (see: magatha’s whatever. daughter? grand daughter? nephew?).

And yet we see it no where else ever again, and you think the two off quests that give validation to Varian’s “SEE? I’M A SLAVE, TOO!”???

I think you’re biased. Especially when the comic explains that the Crimson Ring is an underground organization.

Sure… And the thing about orcs is the diversity of the tribes. What it normalized by some tribes is not by others. So it could be Thrall trying to hold Frostwolf virtues to none Frostwolves, but the effect is still the same. Slavery seems to be normalized for a majority of orcs.

What does that matter? Slaves are present. And its not a secret, the prisons are selling prisoners to them.

I might be, but so are you… You cannot deny that slavery is a cultural staple of the Horde, regardless if it is legal or not, it is there as a main facet to the backstory of a major lore character.

Don’t forget poor Harrowmeiser. Kept as a slave by the Alliance in Northrend for years for the crime of… piloting a zeppelin to support the Horde’s anti-Lich King campaign?

6 Likes