A better expansion idea than “Light Crusade”

What happened in Africa is the same thing you see in a lot of post-colonial nations.

The colonial powers spent centuries exploiting the regions for economic/political motives, and created institutions that were more convenient for that than actually governing the local people. Borders, laws, etc were drawn with literal regard for the people.

Little in terms of infrastructure not centered around extracting resources or ferrying the rich and powerful colonials/military forces from one big city to another. Telecommunications existed largely insofar as it could be used to keep colonials in touch and/or mass broadcast propaganda to keep people in line.

When the colonist powers finally pulled out, there was little groundwork laid out for actual transitions of power. Just up and out with a “figure it out yourself” when the situation was already pretty messed up due to their intervention to begin with.

And since they still have economic/strategic interests, it’s not been uncommon to intervene whenever leaders who don’t want to play ball get out of line, or popular uprisings mean “the wrong side” might win.

What happened in Afghanistan is not new by any stretch.

6 Likes

Why do you see me as a threat? If you didn’t see me as a threat, you wouldn’t bother to respond to me, nor give such verbose replies. What are you trying to accomplish when you reply to me? What do you consider a best-case scenario? Upon reflection, we’re not so different, you and I. Just on opposite sides of a few things.

Now, which new thread specifically are you talking about where you think I was trying to justify Xe’ra?

What have I done that makes you think I’m being passive-aggressive, and where did you get your definition from? If I decide I don’t want to continue the discussion anymore, I’ll use your approach.

You’re right about the lore being a mess, even if we disagree about some of the causes. The political and cultural landscape of the world tends to change based on which characters the writers like, which ones they dislike and which character changes the fans are loudest about. If only we, the fans, had put our feet down sooner and not accepted Blizzard changing the lore based on the time of day, the season, and the phases of the moon.

With no proof that the attempt to forcibly Lightforge Illidan was pre-mediated, claiming that it was is nothing more than theorycrafting or headcanon at this point, and flinging the word “consent” around as a buzzword and dog whistle won’t change that.

At least you conceded one of the differences between the Onslaught and the Crusade; the Onslaught’s use of Death Knights. But there are other differences. Reclaiming Lorderaen was always a primary goal of the Scarlet Crusade, which the Onslaught gave up. And the Scarlet Onslaught was founded in WotLK, the Scarlet Crusade wasn’t wiped out until later, in Legion.

I’d also conceded that they aren’t the same while noticing parallels and the attitudes in society and Blizzard’s writhers (given the direction they’re taking the story, and how poorly implemented that writing is). You being in denial of what I actually said about Turalyon, whether the authorities incarcerate my family on a case-by-case basis and my limited respect for government won’t change that.

What are you going to do if the authorities you’re concerned about catch your cousin, and then treat him fairly and safely while handing out a proportionate, non-draconican punishment?

We know Xe’ra dislikes the Void, but I was asking WHY Xe’ra dislikes the Void, which you didn’t answer. And you didn’t answer the next three questions;

• Why would anyone hate the Void?
  • How was it an unjust ruling given the relevance of the answers for the first two questions?
  • How is that self-righteous given the relevance of answers for the first three?

We’re getting somewhere; Xe’ra didn’t explain to Alleria the problem with using the Void and she should have. That would’ve helped (funnily that’s one thing Xe’ra and Illidan had in common; not good at getting their points across or explaining their reasoning sometimes).

I ask people to do research to make them think. G’huun was no “blood loa”, G’huun was an artificial Old God – a Void entity – accidentally made by the Titans. The blood trolls called him a loa, but he wasn’t one. While you’re right about Hakkar, I’m not sure whether Mueh’zala counts, since he’s working with the Jailer and even before then was affiliated with the force Death. By the time we encounter the loa in the game, Bwonsamdi is the Loa of Death (and he escaped the villain bat).

It’s not about antagonistic Shamans or Priests or Paladins, but their powers. And what about the part where I pointed out that the elementals were influenced by outside forces? While I said Decay, when Ragnaros and Al’akir went villainous, along with several of their forces, there was Void influence involved.

Given the “quality” of Blizzard’s writing, the current Anglosphere zeitgeist, and how all this “bad side of the Light” stuff involves plot holes, retcons and copious use of the villain bat… press ‘X’ to doubt.

Explain how black and white stories have been supposedly worse and cliché? Morally grey stories are older and more frequent than you think.

Why do you think I’m ignoring Christian Crusaders when I repeatedly brought up a Christian military order founded during during the era of the Crusades and that fought in the Crusades and beyond?