A better 500 mount achievement reward

So the reveal on wowhead of the new 500 mount achievement reward was a bit underwhelming if not downright disappointing. An otter is nice, except it’s not flashy or unique. Here it is:

And here is a recolor:

Really gets you excited as a mount collector to unlock this bad boy right?! Right?

So since I’m not a fan and would rather do something more constructive than just complain (oh don’t worry, I’ll be complaining to!) I thought I’d suggest, nay, hope for a better choice for the 500 mount achievement reward and I think there are two strong contenders for this. Both come from the contest Blizzard held in 2020 where the Wandering Ancient was chosen as the winner by popular vote. Since then, Blizz has chosen two more of those contest mounts to introduce to the game, the Soaring Spelltome from meta Mage Tower achievement and the Slime Cat mount from the upcoming season 4 raid achievement for completing all 3 raids. So for the 500 mount achievement wouldn’t it be nice if we got one of the two that haven’t been used yet?

The Curious Caterpillar would be a nice choice for this achievement. Some concept art for this mount:

And let’s say you’re not into bugs, well then, um here’s another insect like mount (sorry!) the Nerubian Swarmer!

Now this is just concept art and we all know when the Blizz artists put in the effort we get some truly spectacular things in game to look at so I’m sure they could make either one of these mounts fantastic and unique which would in my opinion, be a fitting reward for the 500 mount milestone achievement.

And if there’s a dream mount you’d like as the 500 mount achievement, feel free to add it to the list!

22 Likes

Extremely disappointed with this decision, I hope they change it. I’m so sick of all the recolors going around and nothing new or unique getting added into the game (otters are new but we’re already getting 5 of them with rep…). I would like to see the devs put some effort in this time around, putting the yeti and now this recolored otter as the 500 mount reward is just disrespectful to the players.
I hope they change it to something special and unique, 500 mounts is a big milestone and the reward should reflect that.

22 Likes

Yes it does! :smiley:

It’s something new that people have been asking for.

Every single mount achieve reward has been a recolor. Every single one.

Mount achieve rewards aren’t unique mounts. Nope.

2 Likes

While this has been the precedent there is absolutely nothing stopping Blizzard from changing it up and giving us a unique mount for a milestone achievement. If you’re fine with the recolored Otter, I’m happy for you. Myself and others are not and that’s why we’re expressing our displeasure. Feel free to disagree all you want, it won’t change how we feel. In the end it’s low effort from Blizzard and we all know they could do better if they chose to put in the effort.

2 Likes

Otters are cool.

4 Likes

And I don’t think they should. It’s an easy to get mount and shouldn’t be something unique. Save those unique ones for things like raids and events and PvP.

You never will be happy. They changed it once, they won’t change it again.

1 Like

Good lord the hyperbole is astounding. I already gave some suggestions that I’d be happy with. Heck I even suggested in another thread give the otter fel flames or something that sets it apart from the recolors and that would be an improvement. I get your emotionally invested in this argument as you live on these forums but that’s not going to make me agree with you on this. It’s not an easy mount to get, it take 500 mounts. The amount of time to farm those, whether through drop rates, crafting, or gold, is not insignificant. It’s a milestone achievement and should be rewarded as such.

8 Likes

The otter mount is cool, but i’m pretty sure there will be other otters mounts in Dragonflight and in easiest ways to get.
It still don’t worth the effort of getting 500 mounts.

2 Likes

Not really. This community is never happy. The “you” was the generic, all encompassing “you.” It wasn’t you, personally.

And I reject them all, because I don’t think those mounts should just be given away for collecting 500.

Why? No one other one has this. And fel flames don’t make much sense on an otter.

It’s not some challenge mode either. So again, I disagree.

Mount achieve rewards should follow the same pattern they always have. And this one does.

Again, they changed it once, they won’t change it again.

1 Like

Yea every collection mount is a recolor

They’re usually a flashier recolor though, so uh… kinda whelmed by the otter lol

6 Likes

If giving players one of the best looking new mounts as a reward (instead of one that’s almost 10 years old) is what you call “disrespectful,” good luck convincing anyone that you’d be satisfied with anything they put out…

that’s why i hope this otter has a ton of glow sfx that aren’t coming across in the datamining. put this thing in a lineup with the other achievement recolours and ask a player which one is the reward for the hardest to obtain, they’re gonna guess the acid chicken or the blue glowing cloud serpent, not the regular otter.

3 Likes

Maybe next time say “the community” because the wording whether intended or not was directed at me. If you couldn’t have seen how that would have been perceived with the wording you chose, which was intentional I’m sure, then perhaps some proof reading is in order before you hit that reply button. I’m not the first you’ve intentionally or unintentionally been rude to when it was uncalled for. I do appreciate you clarifying though.

And I disagree with your rejection. I do think unique mounts should be given away for mount achievement rewards. Heck, I think we need a whole slew of unique mounts in the game and they shouldn’t only come from the store, PvP, or raiding.

I said fel flames or something (because fel is one of Blizzard’s defaults lol). Something could be dragon themed armor, a rainbow trail like the Flawless Amethyst Baubleworm pet, anything really so it’s not just a recolor.

Just because it’s not a challenge mode doesn’t mean it isn’t challenging to get. You’ve set this benchmark that unique mounts can only come from certain content. I disagree as I’ve stated before. Not everyone does mythic raiding, or high end pvp. Should casuals not have unique rewards they can work toward as well?

Sadly this is where you’re probably right. Blizz is low effort and not likely to change it. But even if they don’t at least I tried to make suggestions that I think would be better than a recolored otter, despite the precedent set with previous mount achievement rewards.

5 Likes

Im willing to bet it wont have any sfx cuz otter

But they could have made it pure white or pure black to make it really pop in comparison to the other otters who have more natural fur colors

Still leave the armor on of course

1 Like

Yeah, or put dragon themed armor on it since you know, Dragonflight lol. I don’t know, maybe it’ll “magically” fly and that’s where it’ll be unique. :man_shrugging:

If that thing flies for the 500 version, that alone would make it 100% worth it, no color changes need it

Nothing was intentional. I’m not here to annoy you. I’m only here to give an opinion.

I apologize for the poor wording.

1 Like

And that should change, Devs are changing philosophies and using recolors as rewards for mount achievements should be one.

Bring something unique, even Student contest had some unique mounts, Blizzard art team is amazing and they could provide new unique rewards not only for mount achievements but for Meta achievements like the Crab was for 8.2 and the Glory Achievements.

4 Likes

And I highly disagree.

1 Like

As a collector, I love this otter mount that I’ll be getting after logging in :slight_smile: