A $58.51 Billion Dollar Company Can't Fix the Lag in The Azure Span

They’re working on it, the soup event doesn’t clean up properly.

I didn’t know you could fix lag by just throwing money at it…

Yea i dont know i was just there herbing for like an hour, 0 lag

Can’t and haven’t are important to distinguish.

The lag is really annoying, I can’t even quest without it disrupting the gameplay. Dragonriding with the lag is nearly impossible and I’ve almost died multiple times from abilities hitting me that I have moved out of.

1 Like

I think the people in here that are referencing lag are the “frame stutters”. it randomly drops frames for seconds and causes hiccups. It’s rather jarring to experience. FOr those who do suffer from this, there’s a HUGE thread over on the tech support forums about it, and i would chime in over there as well.

Its not lag its just so cold it feels like lag

the lag is beyond repair

the obvious temporary fix would be to turn the cobalt and soup off…

there is an absolute metric -ton- of code debt involved in a nearly 20 year old game. no matter how well optimized, or how well its kept up to date.
when wow came out ‘smart phones’ wouldn’t even exist yet (at least not in the mainstream) for another 3 years… even if they had coded it PERFECTLY back then, and maintained it PERFECTLY over the past 20 years, it would still be showing its age and pushing the limits of what the engine is capable of.

at this point, for them to just ‘hire more programmers and fix the code’ would probably cost more than for them to just scrap the whole thing and start from scratch with wow2.

some things just aren’t as easy to fix as ‘throw more coders and money at it’ especially nearly 2 decades on.

It’s always hilarious to see people outside of the tech industry talking about things like this lol.

Same energy as the Karen that goes to a mechanic and tells him how to fix cars.

2 Likes

It’s the soup event that seems to lag, but it’s been largely gone since the fixes. Occasionally, I still get a slight delay during it.

I never had any lag doing the Cobalt Assembly grind, which I did something like 2-3 days after they nerfed it.

I play on a low pop server and it’s still laggy.

I suspect the reason these things aren’t fixed is because this is only issue for 3 weeks in every 2 years. If you tried to the ‘flappy bird’ bastion workd quest the first few weeks in Shadowlands it was nigh impossible. But that didn’t last, and neither will this.

No doubt there is some old and ugly code floating around still. Touching the netcode in any meaningful way that might resolve the issue is playing with fire. The sensible choice for anyone in charge is to mitigate risk and focus on the killer features and game breaking bugs over temporary lag issues. Probably gets logged as tech debt then forgotten until it becomes an issue in the next expac.

It doesn’t matter how much money you throw at the problem when you only have so much time in the day to do stuff.

The top dogs get the money but they need more profits for their stock. In order for a business to survive on the stock trade there needs to be constant profit. However spending money on more programmers and devs to improve the game only helps players doesn’t increase profits enough for it to be worth it. Instead capitalism thrives in the least amount of work and sucking the most money.

Who cares if you’re lagging and having a bad time? You have a sub and by promoting year subs with exclusive mounts u already paid for a year or 6 month. Just looking at the sub u see tons of people say things like “I’m already gonna play so who cares”. You’re gonna play the game regardless. They know this. Lag or no lag so why waste money

They gotta destroy all of our classes with massive nerfs first. Gotta make sure we don’t have an abundance of healers and tanks, and make sure that DPS feels nice and weak. Gotta make sure those talent trees they gave us that were nice and epic are dumbed down to nothing but giving us the appearance of choice.

Maybe then, after thats done they might move onto fixing the lag.

I love the zone itself but yeah Azure Span 75% of the time is just unplayable.

The lag will die down when the tourists leave in 3 weeks or so.

WoW’s population always doubles for the first month of each expansion, as people who hadn’t played for 2 years flock back to check things out. Once they quit after the first month - WHICH THEY WILL - things will be back to normal.

I also think the Gnoll area where it’s just covered in mobs front to back can’t be helping either, its a heck of a lot of spawned mobs over there.

1 Like