9.2.7 Auction House is Temporarily Closed

Whale whaley whale.

We all do, it was the obviously stupid decision to change something that has worked fine for 17 years to solve no existing problem, just change for the sake of change.

I mean…what do you think this is? That’s exactly what this is…
What are you even doing? What’s your angle here?

“Crap happens” isn’t exactly the most forthcoming explanation and I doubt we’ll get more than that.

“We failed to control our software development process and we’ve put procedures in place to ensure that doesn’t happen again” would be more encouraging.

2 Likes

Maybe the plan is to switch to how other MMOS do it and each character just sets up a personal shop and you can go around and browse goods.

It’s fairly obvious blizzard is trying to homogenize server economies progressively in order to make possible future mergers be only a matter of scale, not disparity of supply/demand. Also it will no doubt make the platinum of wow (the token) be more uniform in its utilization per server.

Yeah, but this isn’t that.

The whole thing is down. Fully down. And yes this is a game, but also yes, my analogy is more apt.

It’s not like we can go to the AH down the street and get in there.

Added: And if you think a bank has to be down for 24 hours to get in trouble with the Feds, you don’t know Federal Banking Regulations very well. If ANY bank starts refusing to give depositor’s money to them, very large red flags go up very quickly. At a minimum massive fines ensue and heads roll.

Again, that’s banking. I was mostly pointing out that your original analogy was a big flawed.

Banks don’t get to not give depositors money because of software errors. That’s be license to have “errors” any time the bank’s reserves were low.

you wanted them to communicate more, didn’t you?

behold. communication.

2 Likes

That’s probably the real reason they turned off the ah.

Probably want some fireside chats. Kek

“And so now jeff, larry, and sally on the north end of the room are tackling lines 163791 thru 174892 of the code. We can only hope our brave devs, can make it out alive and back home before dinner gets too cold.”

1 Like

I get it, Blizz sucks at communications. However once in a while they do ok.

If I could find it I would, but they did a deep dive on the database issues that caused massive D2R launch issues last year. I was pleased with it. Quite detailed, but also showed a lot of flawed decision making in the process. Then the committed to fixing it.

I was upset, but can live with communication and fixing.

Which is probably why so many medical devices and hospital systems are hanging out unpatched from known vulnerabilities

1 Like

Except your money isn’t being held hostage by the in-game AH, so no, it’s not.

Trade Channels exist - use them.

1 Like

Give us playtime guys… We are losing playtime…

No, but they’re also not going to go into details about it. And forgive me for shilling but 8 hours is pretty good for a new patch. It used to be much longer.

I think this happened because we didn’t tested that very well =(

It’s cause the companies only claim working compatibility if the software is running in X state with Y operating system/configuration.

So the suits don’t touch it otherwise they void the repair contracts, etc.

With no notice, you think folks have 291 Legendary Vessels just sitting around. Trade in my cluster is already full of folks BEGGING for them. Also the missives (not likely to come from the same person) and other needful things.

And for many people who pay for this game with AH proceeds, this does amount to real money in a sense. They’ve probably lost deposits (we’ll see what Blizzard does with that) and certainly have lost time on auctions that amount to lost opportunities for profit.

I don’t use AH that way. I just buy. But I know folks who depend on it.

“Critical bug”

3 Likes

This “new patch” had exactly two features. A new comms channel (which I could have set up from my character with little problem so I don’t think that’s the big issue) and the AH changes (which have been an unmitigated failure so far).

I think 8 hours for adding a single (complex) feature and having it utterly fail is worthy of at least some criticism.