9.2 Tier Sets. Power and Acquisition

From what ive experienced (watching game dev documentaries) they seem to read most things and comment way later after touching multiple bases or so it would seem but im gonna guess someone eventually tells them “say nothing” which if it is true (again guessing) its basically what happened with Cyberpunk/Battlefield 2042 they know that if they say something then most people will just crucify them which is unfortunately bad news for everyone who wants answers or changes but even worse for the devs who actually want to make changes but cant (again all guesses)

As a reminder there is a thread for this type of discussion here:

Personally, I still believe it’s a discussion worth having.

People have said it and I think its worth saying again but when the Catalyst comes out it should be two charges for the first week so people can actually get the bonus

2 Likes

Can we get a walkthru quest to reduce the people who are going to be expecting tier bonuses on non-tier pieces ? seems its not common knowledge

1 Like

Looking at the past we mostly had 3 tier tokens for 25 and then 20 players in mythic difficulty. In TBC (where the first increase from 2 to 3 occured) we had slower progression and gearing pacing in general since the player base wide progression curve was much more stretched out and not planned out to basically finish each tier for most of them. This process has now accelerated in general and a certain standard has become the expectation.

Now this is down to 2 for all difficulties with trade restrictions that also never existed to that degree before. From my experience the great vault does not compensate for the lack of raid drops specifically for those players that otherwise would have received that 3rd piece for tier. Keep in mind that back then 3 pieces for 20 players were a given from doing just the raid - discarding bonus rolls that might have resulted in another token for the entire raid every other boss or so.

We have a clearly measurable additional time effort that will break down in huge differences across an entire raid group to result in the overall gearing pace. So back in Legion it might have been possible to get 4 tokens per token boss kill while today that number is definitely down to 2 (for a 20 player grp). Meanwhile the RWF (as mentioned above) showcases a scenario where acquiring a full set is doable in a timespan of a few weeks regardless of the daily time investment.

Overall a raid grp (at least for mythic) needs north of 100 token drops (at least 50 token boss kills overall) with the right distribution to secure a maxed out performance gain on that part of the gearing process. And here exists a sharp binary outcome especially when it comes to splitting up damage/burst responsibilities on multiple targets.

So Tier sets returned only to become more sparse than before instead of “celebrating” their return in comparatively overcompensation (3+ pieces per 20 players). The only point that could be made long term is the surplus of unused tier drops a couple months down the line whereas in post MoP tiers there was at least a chance of war/titanforging a token proc into a more beneficial stat boost. But that is another topic on how to do titanforging better (deterministic, leveraging surplus gear as somewhat regular upgrade tokens etc).
Long term goals for Shards of Domination (discarding initial acquisition problems due to drop pacing and chance) as well as Azerite gear were to provide a slight incremental gain from basic power boosts via ilvl progression. This is now no longer the case, so why must this process on a larger scale still be this time consuming with a wide array of effort across a larger group of players?

In other words:
Back then you did your raid progression and everyone kinda got their tier at some point. Now with PL, trade restrictions and the vault the effort can vary by a larger factor between a player that is getting lucky and another that just isn’t.

I bought a sandworn cloak from Rafiq in Pilgrim’s Grace on my Shaman and took it to the Creation Catalyst. At the catalyst it does not show as an eligible item. I posted in the bugs forum the day the catalyst went live. As It still remains an ineligible item I assume that this is intended despite the post above from the April 5th hotfixes clearly indicating “equipment” with no specified limitations. Could clarification please be provided as to whether this item should or should not be eligible for catalyzation? If not, could some explanation be provided for clarity?

As an Update: The rest of the pieces appear to catalyze correctly just not the cloaks. Still the case as of April 27th …

3 Likes

I thought I’d mention something related to PvP tier set acquisition.

I play an Arcane Mage in PvP. All of the vendor cloth conquest gear uses the Warlock and Priest transmogs. In order to get the Mage Conquest set transmog you literally have to use the creation catalyst to get every single piece. In addition arcane mages are itemized for haste and very few of the catalyzed Mage PvP tier set pieces have haste. I can either collect the set with massively screwed up stats or keep the stats I want and not have the class set appearance. Can some sort of appearance item be made available for people who already have individual conquest items to at least LOOK like their class with the stats they pick from the vendor pieces?

1 Like

Wish it would adapt to which spec you are choosing or just let us choose ourselves