9.2 Tier Sets. Power and Acquisition

This is a really good point.

3 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t be opposed. My guild is still farming normal tier bosses which is slowing down our progress because we just need tier.

6 Likes

We’ve had to put together groups from the guild to do LFR. Currently we’re sitting on four of our roster with LFR tier pieces (239 ilvl) when the average guild ilvl is 270> and well into the Mythic bosses. The tier set acquistion situation definietly needs to be adressed in one way or another. Adding the creation catalyst rather sooner than later would be a good first step.

7 Likes

I have to wear LFR legs in PvP feels like im running around pantless

6 Likes

Open the catalyst of creation. Stop time gating everything. Stop wasting my time.

27 Likes

I second this, we need the creation catalyst now.

I’ve gotten a total of 18 tier set bosses killed over the past few weeks spread over LFR and Normal, and I’ve gotten 0 drops from the bosses. I’m currently on 1/4 because I won a roll on the pants. The vault being able to drop tier pieces isn’t really useful either due to how the most long-term optimal loot is usually to not pick those parts, I’ll explain.

In total I’ve had 2 tier set items in my vault; a 259 chest piece from Normal Rygelon which was a bonus slot because I hadn’t killed him before; and a 265 heroic pants from a boss I hadn’t killed on heroic, I was only 2/11 at that point.

Both weeks I had to choose between a 278 item from M+ (278 BiS neck + 278 weapon), or a low ilvl tier set piece that in theory I would get in 2~3 weeks max through either the catalyst or a drop. Imo this highlights another issue; being unable to get 278 M+ gear through any means other than the vault. This means that whenever I get a 278 item I can use and statistically speaking would most likely not see again, I’d do best to pick this item over any lower ilvl item that I would statistically get within a few weeks. Despite having 2 pieces of tier set loot.

With 18 bosses downed and 0 tier set items looted it feels really bad, and I’ve already become the no tier set meme within my guild. While the vault giving tier set items is a really nice addition to help as bad luck protection, the vault is only the only way to get 278 items from M+, and probably also in general as I’m currently only 4/11 heroic.

To summarize:

• I think the creation catalyst should be opened waaaaaaay sooner to help against bad luck protection and reduce the loss of personal player power in all types of content based on one specific type of content + rng
  • The vault should not be the only way to get 278 ilvl gear from M+, let me spend a fortune of valor points to get from 272 to 278, I don’t care, but at least I won’t have to pray to the vault gods every single week. This also lets me pick tier set from raid despite having a lower ilvl

I’d like to add that it feels really bad to have to go into LFR; have a queue that’s way too long, and then suffer through 3~4 bosses that people wipe on for no good reason, just to try and get a tier set item that’s even lower than my ilvl from previous season.

Despite all its flaws, this is a big improvement over the shards of domination though. Besides of the M+ ilvl issue it’s mostly a case of “I’m being put behind in M+ or Raid spots because I was unlucky in RNG with tiersets”.

It’s often joked about how RWF causes degenerate gameplay to get the most advantage over the other teams, and at this point it’s influencing pretty much everyone. RNG is causing power imbalances because at this point RNG determines how well you can do other types of content as well. Double legendaries meant that +18 keys feel like the +15 of previous week without any ilvl changes. However, this is a whole different can of worms that I could go into, which causes personal player power issues based on the ability to generate wealth in-game.

8 Likes

Yeah, one of the best players in my guild hasn’t gotten a single piece of tier yet, despite killing the raid bosses on normal and LFR (and a few on heroic), plus nearly maxing out his vault, week after week. In the first few weeks it’s not hard to be sanguine about it–luck of the draw and all that; you win some, you lose some. But now it’s week five and this is starting to inflict real pain.

It isn’t fun to play your character extremely well in raid and then get a lousy parse because you were unlucky on tier. It isn’t fun to get struggle to get into key groups and to be disadvantaged in arenas because you don’t have your 2pc. It isn’t fun to see other people getting really excited about the numbers they are now doing in keys with their 2pc, knowing you are unable to compete and by the time you do get your tier set, it will be old news and nobody will be excited anymore.

Please release the Creation Catalyst sooner, or throw in some bad luck protection for people who’ve worked really hard to get tier but have been unlucky. Two more weeks is just too long.

16 Likes

I know people who have cleared all bosses normal and heroic and 1 or 2 mythic and cap all PVP slots in the vault and have zero tier pieces and it causes them to not be able to play and keep up with others who just get lucky. Its literal timegating at its worst.

11 Likes

Honestly at this point I dont see them releasing it early. At this point I just want to know what was the reason for it being released so late?

4 Likes

Never to late, should just release it on next reset and let people get their tier sets. The purpose of it is to help people catching up and bad luck protection. I’ll go ahead and speak for our only member in our raidteam which has killed all the tier bosses on heroic and normal combined 42 times and also two mythic tier bosses kills and yet has no 4-set. He has maximized his vaults aswell with raid and M+ options.

Timegating or restricting access to parts of the game like this usually doesn’t make it more fun. It wasn’t more fun to get my legendary 4 weeks into to the patch than it would’ve been to have it instantly or like a week into the patch.

8 Likes

Address the communities concerns on this topic. This is top of mind for everyone in the small community I’m apart of, in which nobody is happy with the implementation. When I look outside of my own community it appears that the sentiment is even more negative.

9 Likes

+1 everyone single person ive PvPed with and raided with and done mythic plus with has said the same thing

7 Likes

I’m not saying the Catalyst shouldn’t come out right away now… but the way tier is being given is simultaneously better and worse than when we had tier before.

It’s worse because Master Looter does not exist, and some people cannot trade tier they don’t “need” (5th piece, already have slot just at lower ilvl, etc)

It’s better because the Great Vault exists.

In the past, if you didn’t get tier, it was just reclear until you did or someone could trade/allocate it to you.

Yes the catalyst is coming in a few weeks, yes it sucks to not have a full tier set, or any tier pieces this far into the raid. It’s bad luck, the catalyst is protection against that bad luck. It will likely be a good system, especially for alts, but at this point in a tier in the past it would not be uncommon for people to not have tier either.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this time tier and its acquisition method applies to PvP too, and in no previous expansion would PvPers be without critical set bonuses because A) PvE tier was nerfed in PvP and didn’t matter and B) PvP gear had its own bonuses and they were on honor gear and crafted gear too.

Maybe this would be OK if tier was only for raiding, but causing PvP and M+ to only have access to tier through the vault for 8 weeks was a serious misplay.

12 Likes

I really feel like not allowing people to trade tier until they have already looted a tier piece at that item level was a serious mistake. It’s starting to become a pain point to see people looting 5 pieces and being unable to trade their fifth piece away because they happened to not have looted that specific piece before.

At this point I don’t expect to see the Creation Catalyst available until its scheduled release on April 12th, and I feel like it’s going to become another pain point when people realize that they have waited this long for a guaranteed tier (as mentioned, people who don’t raid have only had chances from the vault), only to be able to initially craft only one piece per week.

This has been one of the most painful timegates ever implemented in the game, because some tier sets are far stronger for certain classes. As a Warlock player I need 4 piece if I want to play Destruction in any serious capacity, and it is extremely strong for Demonology as well, while Havoc Demon Hunters (who share a tier token with Warlocks) have one of the weaker tier sets. As luck would have it, in my guild at least, both our DHs have 4p while both Warlocks are still struggling to complete 4p.

Please reconsider the Creation Catalyst release date, at least.

12 Likes

Gotta be something along these lines to change because I think 90% of the community agrees it needs to change but Blizzard will keep the timegating for “internal research has shown…” “the vision behind this is…” reasons which is a real let down for everyone playing since the literal voice from the game playing people right now is to change it.

10 Likes
  • Equipment purchased from Rafiq in Pigrim’s Grace, Zereth Mortis is now compatible with the Creation Catalyst and can be converted to tier set pieces.

So in the latest hotfixes we can now turn sandworn relic gear into tier pieces, which I think is great! This is going to let us casuals play around with tier sets in a way that doesn’t force more endgame-oriented players to partake in content they don’t want.

Going forward into the future, I hope this is going to keep being a thing in the coming expansions. The creation catalyst has had a rocky start (still hasn’t started ;>) but with some tweaks in future iterations, it might become a great way to let us acquire tier gear deterministically. Tier sets used to be a raid thing exclusively, but I think it’s nice that it’s opening up for everyone, including casuals!

5 Likes

Use to be no rng bought from the vendor for PvP but they forcing people to raid and pray for vault choices on top of tier bonus instead of plain gear. Basically punishing PvPers as we have no way besides catalyst to guarantee tier before its released

3 Likes

This was definitely one of my concerns. Maizou has 252s to upgrade from Normal and the +2s I’ve been doing, but my alts I don’t do those on, lol. So I was like “oh god, I have to luck into getting an LFR piece to drop?”

Though I do still wish the Sandworn Relics were BoA. Maizou has like 2000 or 3000 but doesn’t need them. My alts have only a bit and really could use them.

1 Like

Why can’t any of you say something on this topic? In the interview with MD he acknowledged that you were keeping an eye on it and talking about timing.

Isn’t that what this forum is for? You enlisted an army of volunteers to provide feedback then leave threads on read for months without a saying a word.

Communicate!

Why are we so at odds with our viewpoints on this system? The last blue response in this thread, which is among the highest activity threads in the community council forums, was MONTHS ago and didn’t even directly address the feedback in the thread. It just linked out to a PTR update, and those links 404 now.

I don’t understand the point of the community council if you’re just going to ignore the most important discussions and stick to your original plans without discussion, feedback, or providing insight.

:man_shrugging:

16 Likes