9.2 Tier Set Bonus Limits Spec Options (Havoc)

With the current set bonus intended for 9.2 I have a feeling that we will be limited into a specific set up for our talent tree. As of right there seem to be roughly 3 different iterations depending on what fight we are on and we want to approach it, with all 3 being reasonably even. However, with the 2pc and 4pc bonus each spec will likely be limited to playing a first blood only build which would effectively kill most game play revolving around two of those current playstyles (Dark Glare Boon and Agony Gaze). We may also be forced into Chaos Theory legendary which doesn’t have much (if any) synergy with a covenant legendary.

I’d like to hear your guys’ thoughts on them, and if you think it will limit the builds we currently have, or if you think we will be forced into certain builds and legendries to be optimal. Before the set bonuses were revealed I was really looking forward to stacking up DGB and Agony Gaze

Not letting me edit after switching characters. Wasn’t aware I was alt posting. Here is the source on the different builds DH’s are currently playing.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/rankings/28#class=DemonHunter&spec=Havoc

I mean tier sets typically always force you into a certain build type with how they work thats nothing new.

Players (some small subsection probably) complained about Blade Dance not being pushed in ST and Blizz went overboard and introduced it as tier set with rng rather than buffing the ability.

That said pending a rework or tuning Venthyr for ST is likely to be dead assuming the set actually outperforms it. But we don’t have those numbers/sims yet so I’ll wait till ptr is actually live.

I wasn’t, so I am sort of happy that the tier set bonuses didn’t cement that build as the “only” build for 9.2 content.

1 Like

Lets get one thing straight, Talent Trees were a thing in Cataclysm. This is not a talent tree, this is a pick this one because the other 2 options suck. Tree.

We honestly need to wait for the announced class changes and balance changes. Because there is no reason to create a set based of an iconic ability, with out them holding something big for us at the end. This is early PTR, class changes haven’t been announced yet, who knows maybe First Blood will finally be baseline after we were complaining that it shouldve been since BfA, I personally want to see Bloodlet come back. That will combine this spec with Momentum. But I digress.

Yeah. I recall the ToS tier set pigeonholing people into first blood, and the Antorus set giving us our first taste of the current cycle/demonic build (except with soul fragments)

1 Like

A bit petty to point someone that trivial out when we all know what I am talking about.

But yes, we do need to wait but I also believe its important for the player base to start voicing their concerns for upcoming class changes or things they believe will restrict their choice. I enjoy first blood, but if I had to choose between first blood and demonic, it would be demonic each time.

Could not agree more on this. I miss having a good dot.

My first response on the talent trees was a silly gaff just to point out that the old trees were better, but regardless, the only actual “DoT” we have is Trail of Ruin, and that hardly sees any play right now, that I’ve noticed anyway. Bloodlet coming back brings a whole other playstyle to the DH in that of Serrated Glaive, which powers up our Eye Beam damage with our Throw Glaive. Combine that with Erratic Fel Core (Fel Rush CD) that gives us more time to keep Momentum up, the more uptime on Momentum, means more nasty ticks from Bloodlet. Though I feel as though Agony Gaze will work with this type of build, would be pretty nasty if its balanced accordingly.

I’m starting to see a fair bit on the logs but with a very heavy single target build. With Felblade/First Blood/Demonic + Burning Wound. Seems like a fast playstyle and I could that build working its way into the top (with AG and Darkglare instead of BW).

Spec options where already limited when they restricted the second legendary you could use to covenant only.

I’m gonna try the build tonight in my raid, see how it does, though I kind of Disagree with this build in 9.2 using AG and DGB. Only reason for that is, this particular build focuses on AoE/Single Target. All around, Burning Wound is free damage because it not only buffs your IA, but it gives you a DoT in that of Burning Wound itself. Its also not RNG where Darkglare Boon is. The AG build with Cycle is already RNG based, why add more RNG to it. Though again I either said this in this thread or another one, but I am curious to see the class changes they have. Now in all honesty, if they give us the shaft and buff all our abilities again by a %, that’s not gonna fly. Especially if they want us to dance, Blazing Slaughter, it needs some rework. But as it is right now, I mean… You can get virtually 2 IAs and if your specced into it, UC. But thats the problem, that legendary locks you into Unbound, and thats it, you cant really use Glaive Tempest which I still use from time to time.