9.1.5 PvP Changes Wish list

It’s great that changes are being made to alleviate some of the frustrations of shadowlands. But as I looked through the list of changes, I noticed there have been almost no changes for pvp (so far).

Here are some things that I think need to be changed for PvP.

1. Remove the honor point cap

A 15k honor point cap seems arbitrary/pointless and is just a source of frustration for players. If a cap must exist, make it something less limiting like 100k

1. Remove the renown requirement for upgrading honor gear.

To max out honor gear you have get to renown 59. This will be easier with renown catch up, but is still just an unneeded grind for players that just want to get gear.

1. Reduce the honor point cost of honor gear to WoD levels

In WoD, a player was able to buy a full set of honor gear for 27,000 honor points. Which could be easily obtained within a week of grinding. However in shadowlands it cost 89,775 honor to buy and upgrade a full set of honor gear. That represents a 300+ random BG grind for a set of starter pvp gear that is meant to be replaced by conquest gear after a few weeks.

Having the starter gear be such a massive investment does not make sense. To see how I calculated the number of games required you can check out my post I made, I’ll link it below.

1. Reduce the item level gap between conquest gear ranks

Going into 9.1 we got scaling pvp item level which was a good addition. It guaranteed that doing pvp would give you the best gear for pvp.

However, the relative power gaps between the gear ranks remained the same. Pushing rating feels frustrating when you not only have to play better than your opponents, you also have to make up for the potential gear difference.

Ideally the gear gap should just be removed and conquest gear would only have one ilvl no matter what your CR is. However an alternative which still keeps the gear ranks in is to reduce the item level gap between the gear ranks. The following ilvls could be applied to conquest gear to make the power differential not feel as bad

Unranked → 247
1400 → 250
1600 → 253
1800 → 256
2100 → 259

These values would only allow a maximum ilvl difference of 12 from base conquest to 2100 gear.

If I missed anything feel free to add onto this list.

Here is a link to my post about the calculation above

8 Likes

Blizzard has announced that lower item level gear will scale up higher so that the gear gap is less.

I just hope they go far enough with the increase. A max of 15 ilvl difference between the highest and lowest ranks (no cr vs 2100) would be the bare minimum change that would be acceptable imo.

15 ilvl difference would look something like this

CR Ilvl
0 244
1400 248
1600 252
1800 256
2100 259

U had me until u said scaling. NO SCALING!!! LET LOOT BE LOOT. scaling is the direct result of broken systems. If a mythic raider has a booming ilvl should he be scaled down to run dungeons or other pve stuff? Because thats the same philosophy. Its a bandaid on top of a deeper fundemental issue such as borrowed power systems.
These blizz morons man. During bfa they announced covenants, leggos, soulbinds, conduits…all i see are systems they wont be able to balance. Scaling is the worst thing imaginable.

2 Likes

I do think that having a single item level for all conquest gear would be the best solution. I was just offering an alternative which is just a modification to the current system.

A smaller item level gap between the gear ranks is better than what we have right now, however it’s not the best solution. Trying to completely remove the gear rank system might have some complications though. Blizz has had complications with purchasable corruptions in BFA and valor upgrades in 9.0.5. In both cases players had to regrind items to be able to take advantage of the changes.

The decreased item level gap option might be easier to implement compared to removing gear ranks all together. That’s why i offered it as a alternative. Maybe in 9.2, when the new season starts and we have to grind new gear, they can change it to a single item level.

1 Like

a brawl where no healer specs are allowed

What you have right now is the equivalent of mythic raiders unlocking ilvl gear by killing a certain boss in the raid and then being able to farm normal dungeons to get currency to buy gear and upgrades. Zero work to get that currency = free welfare loot.

2 Likes

The people who are best at making maps are the ones who created the new version of Deepwind Gorge. It’s all downhill from there. Maybe if they hire a PvP director…? Nope, can’t have that.

1 Like

the best pvp dev left after s1 launch to dreamhaven to work with mike morheim.

1 Like

Ban tank specs in RBGs, seriously it takes way too long to find a tank, considering there are only 2 viable tank specs and your team is seriously gimped if you don’t have one of them.

It’s more like 1 viable tank lol.
Many of my games where the other team has a vengeance DH, they just get shut down by our rogue.

I think that if tanks weren’t allowed to queue for RBGs, games where neither side can get a single cap would happen way more often. Blizz needs to give something to the other tanks so they are actually usable.

I agree, buff Vengeance DHs.

1 Like

actually, forget ALL upgradable gear in PvP. There is no place for rating/anything locked upgrades in PvP and most all players agree with this, from 1300 cr to 3k cr players. We want the entire ladder to have a even playing field. 1 honor set/ 1 conquest set that are lower than heroic raid gear outside of PvP, but scale up to mythic raiding gear during pvp.

3 Likes

Yeah I think not having rating locked gear (barring unique cosmetic skins for the seasonal gear at high ratings as incentive) should be the go to, not unlike how it was in WoD. Some of the best pvp ever was in WoD and this would alleviate some if not all of the complaints about gear gap and the boosting problem.

1 Like