9.1 Undocumented Change Gutted Shadowlands Main Storyline

So, came back a couple weeks ago. Playing through the expansion in order, finished my covenant campaign, ready to start 9.1 content with the auto-added quest “The First Move.” I start the quest and get fed the cutscene where Anduin attacks the Archon in Bastion.
My response: “Wait. What? That can’t be right. He hasn’t been turned yet. What have I missed?”

It turns out, quite a lot. After thirty minutes on Wowhead and piecing things together, it appears that when 9.1 dropped Blizz made an undocumented change and simply deleted the following quests from the game and marked them complete for everyone.

1. Explore Torghast
  2. Remnants of Hope
  3. Information for a Price
  4. Torment Chamber: Jaina
  5. Finding a Witness
  6. Lest the Trail Go Cold
  7. Torment Chamber: Thrall
  8. Signs of the Lion
  9. The Captive King
  10. An Echo in the Darkness
  11. The Highlord’s Vision
  12. A Mourneblade Born
  13. The Jailer’s Grasp

I don’t even know what to say in response to this. The whole purpose for me being in the Shadowlands in the first place is to rescue the faction leaders. Their kidnapping is what started this whole thing. Apart from the covenant storylines, the story of their rescue IS THE WHOLE STORY.

And Blizz simply deleted it?
In an undocumented change?

EDIT:
Opened a ticket. After several rounds of back and forth, finally got confirmation that these quests seem to have been intentionally removed in 9.1 in an undocumented change.

Makes zero sense to me.

119 Likes

I never even got to 6 and up playing casually with a friend because she got hospitalised…

4 Likes

I noticed that they were missing when playing through alts, but I figured I had hit a skip button somewhere. Are they seriously just entirely removed from the game? That’s moronic.

51 Likes

I gave up on all that and I just play the game just like I do RL. Do I know whats going on in congress right now? Or what the supreme court is doing? Nope. I just figure some stuff happens somewhere, just like in WoW.

24 Likes

Even Blizzard knows the storyline is not good.

62 Likes

Your mog is absolutely stunning my dear!

2 Likes

You must have hit the skip somehow. Those are skippable now.

2 Likes

100% did not hit skip.

This is my first time through on my main.

8 Likes

No, those have been removed completely, unfortunately.

9 Likes

I’d imagine it’s an overcorrection due to years of people complaining about “having to do 3 hours of story quests to reach the current stuff.” Blizz seems real hesitant to just have skips in place for more of it some reason.

5 Likes

Aha! I knew something was amiss.

One minute it was Ted Talks with Sylvanas to Anduin going full blown zombie mode.

Now… if I were blizzard and saw how this change went relatively unnoticed, well it seems the ‘lore buffs’ have left the building hehe

5 Likes

Odd, I only ever heard of them being skippable, not removed. I don’t have anything that isn’t already passed those so never went through it myself.

1 Like

Sure, I get wanting to skip doing the same story ten times. I’m totally cool with having skip dialogues. But removing an entire chunk of storyline in the first patch is completely asinine.

This is just like when they took out the Wrathion quests in BFA that explained why he was even hanging out in the Heart to offer cloak quests. They need to cut that :poop: out.

33 Likes

Right??

They removed the bulk of the main expansion storyline in the first patch.

32 Likes

The worst thing about it is that Thrall and Jaina promptly came down with amnesia, so even if you did do the quests, they’ve completely forgotten your role in them, they just go “Oh, you know, some guy happened to be there to help.” when you ask them about escaping the Maw.

5 Likes

shadowlands | story. Pick one

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:t4:

bliz y

4 Likes

They shouldn’t allow stuff to be skipped on the first run through. That’s just crazy! I thought accepting that quest from the pole-guy was the ‘skip’ we accidentally did, but seems not.

Blizzard, PUT THEM BACK IN, make the skip optional!

19 Likes

It’s nuts considering some of the details they thought to put into the base game, like Draenei and Orcs being able to tell Mnemis their home planet is Argus or Draenor.

5 Likes

I purposefully never accepted that quest (“The First Move”) just to make sure. The one time I accidentally started it, I abandoned it.

I have been very careful to try and play the story in order.

6 Likes