9.1 PTR Patches Notes Have Begun

It will almost certainly slow down if there is no incentive for pve players to buy carries. Also, with the current values, pve gear will be superior to pvp gear at the high ends. I haven’t seen anything that says pve gear will be scaled down in pvp.

I have to assume that the numbers on the datamined pvp gear is wrong but the intent is clear. The complaints of a large part of the pvp community are disregarded with this system. This is only being done because people and Blizzard were upset that pvp gear was being used to kill dragons.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that I warned against exactly this many times. What Blizzard thinks that people liked about the WoD system isn’t what people liked about the WoD system. They are out of touch.

5 Likes

Given the current expected reality, I’m curious to see if this will cut down the number of gold carries happening.

Which will might tell us where all these carries were coming from, PVE or PVP players. Hard for me to fathom why, as a pvp player, you would pay for a carry, your gear and fake rating/chiev aren’t going to make up for your lack of skill.

Also, if they want pvp gear focused on pvp why the !@#%^ does the ilvl differential have to be so high?

EDIT:

Also #2 - I know it’s early so I’m not going to flip the table quite yet, but if honor gear doesn’t get a revamp in 9.1 I will have lost my last shred of hope for this game.

4 Likes

PVP participation was high because of PVERs but also just pvpers enjoying a good rewarding system. Think about how good 1600 rating would even reward you.

I called RBGs being revived before the expansion came out, so I think I’ve got a decent gauge on how things will go, and if i’m reading correctly 2.1 rating will reward heroic item level gear, which is actually still good PVERs will full send it with their guildies to get it 2.1 which is an achievable rating to help with their progression.

If you think about it, a hell of a lot of guilds progress through heroic for a good portion of the tier and pvp will help fill in the gaps to land kills, once a guild full clears heroic, they won’t have much incentive with mythic gear being better, but considering the amount of people that raid heroic, PVP participation will be fine.

I mean I figured this is exactly what Blizzard would do. HOWEVER, this might not even be really an issue for casual PVPers if Blizzard ends up implementing some sort of cap in randoms or something, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I’m pretty sure I called this the other day they want to have a hybrid version because PVP gear progression is GOOD for the game, rated players enjoy the progression, then the other spectrum is casuals hate the disparity. This system is a hybrid, but it does not help casuals. Unless they do something like what kek says where PVP gear has a cap in a casual battleground environment, but not arenas etc.

They get the gear and stop doing rated pvp entirely and just use it in random BGs and world PvP (if that even exists any more). And, while the gear will not help them in rated pvp it can in randoms.

2 Likes

<insert “he can’t keep getting away with this” Breaking Bad gif here>

As I’ve said before, you can have gear progression without huge power gaps. I was skeptical they would change the system much because it would require a huge rework of the entire system that they have put in place. That comes with a cost on their end.

Since they are doing scaling, however, they could just tighten the gaps while in pvp and leave the gear behind rating (it is not going to change because of the cost of entirely redoing the system) and have a workable system. The main thing is controlling the power gap. That’s it.

1 Like

much agreed, they have the control in their hands to close the power gap in instanced content, and keep the progression of gear for outside PVP use. That is a healthy balance, good gear outside PVP that’s heroic equiv and then everyone scaled near each other in PVP. It’s a datamine so we don’t know if this isn’t the case, we will have to wait.

3 Likes

I actually don’t like this idea. I think the scaling should just be used to tighten the deltas while keeping progression in place.

Take a look at Legion. If I lost to someone with 20 items levels on me (2% stat advantage) it was because I lost the fight. I’m not saying that is the correct level of tightening to have but the gaps can be controlled and it wouldn’t take too much effort on Blizzard’s side now that they have caved on pvp scaling.

I don’t see that ever happening after Blizzard’s attempt at Legion template system and BFA backend scaling. People have fought them on it and wanted gear to matter.

The only thing I can think of that Blizzard could do is something like Blizzard does for Party Sync’d toon where they downscale Ilvl. For instanced PVP such as random BG’s they could have a system that upscales and a system that downscales setting everyone at pretty much the same ilvl. :woman_shrugging:

I’m not talking about templates. I’m just talking about taking a, for example, 30 item level spread and scaling it to be a 15 item level spread on stats. They could easily do this without reinventing the entire progression system.

Yeah but I think that’s unrealistic. The method I spoke about is already in the game and being used for Party Sync’d BGs, and they would just have to add it to max level. :woman_shrugging:

yet, you do the same thing that they are doing, you think this system is good and i don’t care why, its not a healthy system, its just the first batch of the patch notes, hopefully they will lower the difference of the ivll between honor and conquest sets

1 Like

I can’t remember a single time I’d advocated against changes or making it more even? :thinking:

But good job making false assumptions! :+1:

PVE gearing is going to be better in the next season for PVP if nothing else changes.

In WoD PVE gear had a cap that was lower than the best PVP gear ceiling.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

I don’t see where you are finding this unless you edit your post and specify for casuals.

I’ve gone on record as hating this change when they first mentioned it BUT the numbers they’ve put in are just temporary. They’re not final (especially as they’re based on 9.0 so I’d probably hold fire until they’re locked down to decide if it will work or not.

I expect some kind of squish - if not? Then, yeah, this is a change that’s going to make no one happy.

So I don’t completely understand all teh changes and the complete ramifications they will have. Most of that is I don’t know classes very well outside what I play.

However my personal opinions on of some of what I see initially is:

I was hoping to see more BrM Monk buffs to make them more RBG viable.

I like the MW changes so far. I don’t like playing WW, so I maybe switching to MW I guess, i was hoping it’d be BrM though.

I’m glade they didn’t really touch priest much for disc or holy in pvp. They are a bit over powered probably compared to other healers, but I think bringing other healers up would help more.

I was hoping for more of a Convoke nerf, but my boomy just hit 60 a week ago so I don’t know much about boom yet. The BOAT nerf is making me reconsider what Leggo I need to invest in (initially I went venth and had the Circle of life & death leggo, and I just switched to NF but haven’t switched my leggo yet).

Not a fan of the PVP gear changes.