9.1 FPS drops, stutters, choppy

I canā€™t even run instances because of the frequent freezes. I went through all of my hardware and add-ons. Outside of instances, my latency and FPS are fantastic on a relatively new computer. But if I zone into an instance, itā€™s Freeze City. So itā€™s not just dungeons and raids that are unplayable, but Torghast too.
If I canā€™t do those things, then . . . . back to being a Sims-playing-housewife for me, I reckon. :unamused:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found that if Iā€™m listening to youtube (music) on another monitor I get the choppyness. If I pause the video, the issue disappears entirely. If I minimize it, or go to another tab I get significantly less but itā€™s still there.

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox fixes it.

Iā€™m guessing that Blizzardā€™s having issues with DX12 and contention/prioritization. In the meantime, making WoW the only thing using the graphics card, or removing hardware acceleration, seems to be a highly effective fix - for me at least.

i9 7980 XE @ 4.2GHZ, 64GB DDR4, Optane 905 primary disk (wow installed there), Win10 20H2, 1080TI x2 in SLI. Latest GeForce drivers.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say same issue here, itā€™s absurdly annoying, already tried disabling addons or lowering graphics, reinstalling stuff, nothing works. It seems to happen when a lot of stuff is being loaded in ram, such as when you pull a raid boss for the first time, open your map, macros or any other sort of menus, etc. Previously the game ran just fine.

GTX 1050, i5 7th gen, DDR4 RAM and M2 EVO PRO SSD.

2 Likes

Today, for me in Spires of Ascension was nearly unplayable, Iā€™m having once again massive fps drops moving the camera in certain angles, lowered my graphics settings to (1) and still Iā€™m having the same 30-20s fps drops from constantly (75), people in the dungeon also called that they were lagging maybe was the fps drop.
After the reset this was fixed, Iā€™ve been having this issue since the start of Shadowlands first was only the entrance after the first boss, now is the whole dungeon. First the open map stutter bug, next was western Korthia skybox fps drop and now this again. Whats going on?

1 Like

Same here. Iā€™m so glad I found this thread. I tried everything and couldnā€™t figure it out

1 Like

Found a temporary fix in the forums that helped me, hope this helps anyone too with the dungeon and some random fps drops :slight_smile: Blizz please fix this.

1 Like

Something simpleā€¦Go to System. Go to Advanced. Under Graphics API - change it to Direct 11 Legacy. See if it helps. I was having choppy graphics in raid and it fixed it.

I have a subpar laptop but iā€™ve never had problems with doing content, even Castle Nathria I had 60 fps. Spires iā€™d have like 40 but was doable. I did the Terragrue boss and I dropped to like 6 fps and thatā€™s obviously unplayable because I cant even rotate or click my screen to move, see where to run etc. Also have problems during world bosses but those arenā€™t as important, iā€™m just concerned about SoD. Torghast is completely fine for me but i guess raiding is out of the question for me.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case. I guess I could write a fake addon that hogs a big chunk of memory and runs a heavy CPU load on tick to test it for sure.

I think where a lot of people mess up is they forget thereā€™s an ā€œAllā€ and ā€œPer characterā€ set of enable/disables for them.

2 Likes

My issue is when I mouse over things or move abilities around on my action bars, it causes micro stutters.

I have deleted the cache folders, deleted the WTF folders, disabled all addons, switched to DirectX Legacy 11ā€¦ nothing gets rid of the issue.

I am beyond frustrated.

5 Likes

Ive played a few other games without any issues. The only game I am able to duplicate these problems with is a over the top modā€™ed Skyrim that is way beyond WoW. When I move fast I get bottlenecks/stutters on my screen as I wait for everything to load in.

With my meager coding experience that tells me one thing. There is some ā€œjunk in that program trunk.ā€ Our PCā€™s are racing through a Blizzard mine field while loading everything.

1 Like

Anyone figure out a fix? Nothing I try works.

Disable all addons? Still does it.

Mess around with settings? Still does it.

Delete Cache/WTF/Interface folders? Still does it.

Itā€™s to the point I donā€™t even want to play because the micro stutter lag drives me to annoyance.

2 Likes

The raid is a struggleā€¦once combat starts, it hits super low. We had to do raids without using hero on pull/cdā€™sā€¦

This is on Oceanic servers.

8700k/3080.

1 Like

Still awful stuttering since 9.1. I have done everything mentioned here, but like others Itā€™s still pretty unplayable. You can play, but its not enjoyable ect. So much hitching.

2 Likes

Youā€™re going to be waiting on Microsoft to hammer out the rest of the kinks in their DWM when using DX12. Itā€™s an issue across the board right now. Thereā€™s a part of the DWM called the multiplane overlay system and that basically got turned all the way on in recent Nvidia drivers and Windows. Thatā€™s why any driver after the 457.XX ones introduced all kinds of bugs for almost all games now. Itā€™s technically been around since around the Windows 8 era, but wasnā€™t really used. It handles compositing frames to be rendered and handles all the mixed refresh rates, windows and such. Thereā€™s something wrong in the pipeline thatā€™s leading to a lot of issues when using DX12 because it receives different optimizations. I wonā€™t turn this into a rant about it all though, just know that this really isnā€™t likely an issue on Blizzardā€™s end.

But yeah, for now, DX11 in WoW is faaaaar smoother than DX12. I switched back to 11 the other night and rarely ever have a hitch ever. The only time it does is when my client suddenly needs to load in dozens of new people at once, like when you phase to fight a world boss in LFG, but that would happen in DX12 as well.

2 Likes

Yup, DX11 is the fix right now.

1 Like

I tried this, both regular 11 and the legacy, the issue is still persisting for me. Itā€™s great that it resolved it for you but I donā€™t think itā€™s a cure all for everyone.

5 Likes

Thank you for the input. Now if we could get Blizzard to say something about it. The fact that they havenā€™t is suspicious. You would think announcing an issue with Microsoft would relieve some pressure on Blizzard, but they havenā€™t . . . .

Yes I have been having the same issues as well. It was happening just before 9.1 launched, but is even worse now. At the beginning of the expansion it definitely wasnā€™t like this for me. I did a full UI reset, removed all my add-ons, and it helped a little for a few days but now itā€™s just back to being horrible again. Iā€™ve lowered all my settings, still doesnā€™t help. I do run it on DX12, have tried running it on 11, but it didnā€™t help.

1 Like

Well I guess technically, Blizzard could try to rewrite their rendering thread around the bugs, but it would take a bit of refactoring work to do. Also, the bug isnā€™t super widespread because for the most part, most people arenā€™t running at 8xMSAA, where itā€™s most prevalent.

But then comes the problem of okay, they rewrote the code around the problem, but then Nvidia changes something to combat their problems with Windows and now it breaks WoW again. But wait thereā€™s more! Microsoft makes some changes to fix their problems, that now break some of Nvidiaā€™s fixes, that break some of Blizzardā€™s fixes. See what Iā€™m getting at? Blizzard probably doesnā€™t want play that whack a mole game.

From a CS standpoint, I doubt Blizzard is going to want to admit that to customers.

3 Likes