9.0.5 Torghast Powers - Opinions from Text

Just thought I’d post here my thoughts since I’ve been fairly angry about Torghast for priesting for a while! (see my post in My whining in other thread )

Figured since I didn’t see anything about this here yet I’d throw out discussion/opinion…from the blizz news: Blizz 9.0.5 post

• New Anima Power: Dark Technique (Rare) – Enemies affected by Mind Bomb or Psychic Scream suffer 5% of your health in damage every 1 second. This damage cannot break Mind Bomb or Psychic Scream.

I kind of like this, interacting with Psychic Scream more and while not overly powerful certainly will make the health buffs + one of these really strong. Seems good for all specs. Thumbs up!

• New Anima Power: Voidwraith Signet (Rare) – Killing an enemy with Shadow Word: Death summons a Voidwraith guardian for 1 minute that casts Void Flay, dealing 100% additional damage against enemies that are above 50% health.

Not sure about this, SW:Death feels weird in general in Torghast for the reason that with all the int buffs and the like its hard to gauge how hard you’re likely to hit, and get it in just right for the kill at time (especially as shadow) not bad, but also not doing anything for a boss feels like I’d sooner take more consistent damage Animas or survival animas. May help aoe stuff if soloing as shadow or something? But our solo/aoe game is weird as is. I’d say if they changed it to summon for like 10-15 seconds on SW:D use on enemies below 20% or something would probably make it cleaner. Overall opinion is kinda middling for a rare power.

• New Anima Power: Soul of an Archon (Rare) – Power Infusion now also increases all periodic damage and healing by 100%.

I like it overall, certainly can make Shadow more viable using PI and just blowing stuff up, curious how it will be for Disc/Holy. Not bad but might be more alright than anything for them? For a rare seems pretty niche being specifically on a 2 min cooldown. Overall opinion is better than average.

• New Anima Power: Cowl of Influence (Uncommon) – You can now control your character during Mind Control, but it has a 30 second cooldown.

So getting closer to being even half as good as Death Knights with control undead as baseline? Hows this work with disc’s mind control talent? Its like it is giving the mind control talent but this one anima is even better than the talent we get! And is an uncommon! Can we just have baseline mind control thing is a pet yet? Overall opinion - Useful and good enough but raises more questions about Mind control as an ability than anything!

• New Anima Power: Light-Infused Egg (Uncommon) – Smite / Mind Flay have a 15% / 5% chance to grant you Power Infusion.

I like this a lot. With the other PI ability that will certainly help Shadow greatly but seems like a good time overall, though I think Mind Flay should be a bit higher just due to shadow casting OTHER ability fairly often. Still, this seems strong. Overall opinion. Good!

• New Anima Power: Fallen Priest’s Blessing (Common) – Casting Holy Fire or Mind Blast increases the damage or healing of your next Devouring Plague by 30%, Penance by 30% or Chastise by 60%. This effect stacks, but its duration is not refreshed.

I do like this, especially stacking multiple times up to do a SUPER PENANCE or something and again, more help for shadow is liked. - Overall Opinion Good!

• Enduring Spirit spell duration increased by 80% (was 50%).

Wasn’t bad before but never really felt like a great Anima power before. Shadow wise VE needs more a buff to really benefit from this (and things like Bloodgorged Leech just do more to heal you or just getting Flashbox). I can see Disc and Holy benefitting, but normally if you NEED these cooldowns you’re in a worse spot than this anima might save you.

• Puppetmaster’s Strings can no longer be offered to the player unless Cowl of Influence is known.

See previous statements on mind control. This just reinforces it more…duration and damage are great but its super niche since you can’t utilize on a boss and mind control’s duration is low already overall (again I compare to DK Control undead which nets them a 5 minute pet with no cooldown)

• Earworm chance to trigger increased to 5% per stack (was 3%).

This was badly needed. Though I’d rather see it not a stackable and just like a flat 10-15%. Trying to stack a blue anima is dicey but the effect is definitely good. Overall opinion-Positive!

• Mindmancer’s Handgloves now increases the damage of Mindgames by 20% (was reduce cast speed).

Removing the reduce cast speed seems weird on this. Why can’t it just be an overall buff to damage/cast/amount reversed? Not bad by any means but seems an odd choice? Especially for something so specific. Overall opinion - Not bad

• Vandal’s Zeal can now be obtained 3 times (was 1).

Yes, please. Thank you, now give it to me 3 times on floor 1 or add more pots to break. - Overall opinion - Super positive.

• Psychic Wallet, Soul Sapper, and Art of Phantasmal Healing have been removed.

Good. Psychic wallet just basically encouraged you to mind control every thing you could regardless of actual net positive of doing so (and the fact it locks agro on you like you just attacked its mother made MCing multiple mobs annoying at best). the phantasmal healing one was the only one that seemed semi useful before but again, if you need to spam healing on yourself theres another issue. Overall opinion-I do like not getting as many garbage animas!

• Catharstick now properly triggers from Shadow Word: Pain cast by Vampiric Touch through the Shadow talent, Misery.

Positive and negative on this, harder to stack up a hefty Catharstick by abusing misery for Shadow, its like a constant damage buff now from reapplying pain, not really a big oomph at all which is why this anima feels so odd to me. A way to let it build up but still using primary dot would be nice but again, guess this is just a functionality fix. - Overall opinion - Its a thing.

Thats just my thoughts! Hopefully some of these make Torghast more interesting for priest, since lord knows need to run it 50000000 times for legendaries.