8.3 proves devs have learned nothing. More grind and timegates

That is probably the ones who are too invested in the game to ever leave and their self worth is far too dependent on the exclusives they have, those always exist but are a minority in every game.

The thing is BfA has been a disaster, based on the amount of groups in the group finder and finding the same people many times in warzones it is likely that population has crumbled and many have left, and that is only gonna get worse after the first few weeks of 8.3

Pretty sure the effects are starting to be very visible

1 Like

This

Corrupted forging is far worse! 20k procs on gear for someone who is lucky is beyond stupid.

This game is so terrible now
 as much of a wow addicted as I am finally canceled the sub. Can’t support this Garbage anymore.

There are far better games right now that deserve our time. #notmyworldofwarcraft

2 Likes

I am one of those and people and just canceled my sub today. Not because of the raiding being bad or the mythic + or pvp. Those rings are always real enjoyable as is the gameplay.

I have not been for most of 8.2 due to not being able to dive in on my many alts knowing that if I want them viable I need to dedicate dozens of hours to content that is just not fun plain and simple. So blizzard wins they fusterated me out of a sub. I will clear heroic nyalotha and play other stuff.

1 Like

You think you don’t like the decisions of Ion and Company, but you don’t.

1 Like

You are 100% on this.

Just got annoyed enough to finally hit the cancel button today and let them know why in the reasons section.

Not like they listen to feedback anyway.

Basically the entire community asked for a solution to the grindy essence system for alts via account bound essences and were just met with :No because of (reasons)

Ion plays one toon so you should only play one to.

Sadly they got me for a race change before I realized 8.3 was more gated grinds and unsubbed. I feel so dirty

The issue people are having is not the investment for there power it’s the content for that power they are forced to do what about they perplexes you?

People don’t want to log in only to do chores via world quests and daily grinds to be viable and I don’t blame them. People want to gain power from enjoyable aspects of the game like raiding and mythic + the way it used to be.

Except that is NOT what people are saying. The people I’m specifically responding to are very much saying in their posts that they don’t like the “timegating”.

They don’t like the time aspect. The part where you get a little at a time. A bit every day.

They are saying that they want their things now. Not “in M+ instead of world quests”, and not “in raids instead of in visions”.

They’re complaining about *time*.

Are we playing the same expansion?

How are daily quests not “locked behind waiting an arbitrary amount of time”?
How are weekly and semi-weekly assaults not “locked behind waiting an arbitrary amount of time”?
How is capped PvP and M+ ilvl not “locked behind waiting an arbitrary amount of time”?
How is ‘one new legendary quest per week’ not “locked behind waiting an arbitrary amount of time”?

That’s just the new stuff. There’s also:

• Island Expedition weeklies
  • Capped essence components from raid bosses per week
  • Weekly chests in PvP and M+
  • Emissary quests

Like how do you even write this.

1 Like

You know what the artificial term here is?

“Time-gated”

What you’re talking about is one of the core mechanics of any RPG. You build up your power over time.

In a single-player game it’s through xp and levels. In more level-sparse RPGs it will be through gear.

In MMOs advancement has always happened over time in some manner. I remember the original Everquest. The very first big jump in power you had was your “class armor” quests around level 8 or so. For the average player playing mostly alone these quests would take around a week unless you had help (rangers were a godsend for their ability to track rare mobs, for example).

You did NOT get this crap done overnight. You just didn’t.

Likewise, in WoW you are not expected to get everything handed to you overnight. You are expected to have to earn rewards a little bit at a time, and the time aspect is not optional. It’s actually the point.

I think what you’re actually whining about is the quality of the reward vs the effort required. You simply don’t think the rewards are worth the wait, and that’s probably a valid point to make in some cases. I’m personally staring down the barrel of having to grind out my leatherworking to be able to make the new BoP patterns because one of them (the pants) is an absolutely massive upgrade for my shaman.

If I wanted them today, I could have them today. I just need to pick up two full stacks of drenched leather from the AH. It would cost around 40k gold which, for me, is quite a bit of gold unfortunately.

Fortunately, leveling my leatherworking AND getting a huge upgrade is worth the time and effort necessary (I just need to find a better place to grind drenched leather than what I’ve found so far :expressionless: )

Maybe the rewards you want aren’t worth the stats without better artwork for transmogs. Maybe they’re only a marginal upgrade for you because of easy access to upgrades through M+ dungeons. Maybe you just got lucky in Ny’alotha.

It doesn’t matter how it happened. What matters is that QQing about “time” makes you sound like a child, crying that he can’t have ice cream right now.

Figure out what the actual problem you have is. Because you signed up for a game that wasn’t designed to deliver on instant gratification. So complaining about “timegating” only hurts you.

2 Likes

Your example from EverQuest is a perfect counterpoint to time-gating. The quests you mention were not artificially time-gated, they just took a while because they were challenging (without help).

So I’m not sure why you don’t see the difference, but it’s a pretty big one.

Because there isn’t a difference. The quests weren’t challenging. They were a pain in the a**. Big difference (hence the mention of getting help from a ranger).

What daily quests do is remove the PITA complaint, but only allow you to do them once per day (the trade-off). Either way you have to wait. Either you’re waiting for a mob to respawn and then fighting the crowd for the kill because everybody needs what they drop and only one person can collect it at a time (and it has a 15 minute respawn, BTW
oh, and they wander, and they’re non-elite so anyone can walk up and destroy them
)

You don’t see the difference because you don’t know where these systems came from. You don’t know the problems they solve. You just want and you just want right now.

Or the rewards just aren’t worth the wait. I’m having real trouble telling the difference with you.

yeah only came back to purchase 5 million gold mount because they said removing, in which case I wish I could have stuck to only buying at when I reach 15 million gold like I planned;it’s nice and all but really not worth 5 million gold.

You then go on to describe 
 the difference

Fine to say that you like the time-gating system, but to say you don’t see the difference, right before you talk about the difference, is quite silly.

Riiight. We’ve always been at war with Eastasia.

Stop gaslighting. WoW is being mud-whimped and at no time in its history has content been so fully time-gated and so unrewarding. Retail servers are empty for a good reason – the game sucks on toast now and shows no sign of improvement – the whimping is real and it’s no longer fun to play, it’s more like a crappy part time job.

So is the problem the time it takes to earn rewards? Or is the problem the rewards?

Because the two have very different solutions, and I’m not convinced that the first one is actually a problem.

It’s not gaslighting to point out that someone is being unreasonable.

Gaslighting is

and that’s far from what I’m doing. Calling you out on your BS is not gaslighting.

No. You’re gaslighting by pretending the game is just as it always was. Of course, this is understandable if you just started to play.

For those of us who have been around for 15 years, it’s obvious the game is mud-whimped.

Gameplay is boring; classes are lackluster and homogeneous, rewards are random, layered RNG and garbage; the redundant, repetitive, unoriginal content is time-gated, rep grinds are time-gated, Pathfinger is a joke. All character powers are rental only, your toon hasn’t gotten any new abilities or talents since the end of WoD – content-and-ilevel-scaling-to-payer robs your toon of any sense of progression.

If you think otherwise, then I can only ask why are you here and not playing?

Oh wow
I missed that term in your last post. That’s an old one

No. I’m not. You are using the term gaslighting incorrectly. I’m not trying to convince anyone that they’re crazy (gaslighting is a VERY specific term that you’re using incorrectly). I’m just pointing out that you’re wrong.

We are disagreeing. That is all.

Being required to put in time is not strange. It always has and always will be a thing in RPGs. There’s no way around it, no should there be. Not to a total degree, anyway. And definitely not this early in a content tier. You’ve got roughly six to ten more months to do whatever you want to do before shadowlands comes out. Time is hardly of the essence, which simply means that time is not the real problem.

You say that time is the problem, but it’s not. You’ve got lots of it.

It means that for whatever reason, the rewards are not worth the necessary investment, and this is a very valid opinion. But for whatever reason, you’re just obsessed with “time-gating”.

Considering you also use “gaslighting” incorrectly, I’m just going to assume you’re using words you think make you look smart without really knowing what they mean. I’m only going off of evidence here.

This has nothing to do with time-gating. Nothing whatsoever. In fact, even blizzard has admitted that class simplification went too far and is a problem they’re going to be fixing in shadowlands.

Um, because I’m at work??? You know, that thing that lets me pay my bills?

stretch
 Yawn

Maybe you should get back to it instead of defending indefensible and erroneous claims.

P.S. Do you work for Blizzard?

1 Like

Rbay.