8.3 Mac Performance issues

I have a brand new MacBook Pro 13" running Catalina. While it does have an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645, 1536 MB; I have the graphics set at a 3.

This new patch has crashed my computer (every 30 minutes), frozen my game (every 15 minutes) for about 1 minute causing me to die, and now has caused what appears to be a stutter in my character’s movement.

I am sure the devs are busy with other more pressing matters (and yes I have reported the bugs) so I am not coming on here to rant and complain about this.

What I am asking is if there is anything I can do (reasonably ie: I am not getting a PC) to mitigate this problem until these issues are solved? I have tried reducing the aspect ratio and graphics but it doesn’t seem to work well (unless I have to reduce the aspect ratio all the way to 500 since it is at 2500 now). I am not great with computers so if there is any advice, I would appreciate it.

2 Likes

Your first problem is your graphics is intels LMAO. God thats terrible.

Im sorry thats all I wanted to say.

I had to uninstall wow on my wife’s imac. All the little fixes I found were only temporary and then it would eventually creep back to a lagfest.

Supposedly it has something to do with how mac’s displays work. They display everything much larger an then shrink it to get higher resolution images.

This evidently doesn’t jive w/ Wow and creates unbelievable amounts of lag.

That’s the problem, and what are your temps…
While playing

Hey dude.

Ignore all the trolls. That Macbook can run WoW easily. This game is not hardware intensive at all.

Anyway, the Mac Client is hella buggy (as usual) and Blizzard is working on it: Crashing, freezing, and stuttering after 8.3 [Intel GPUs] - #556 by Drakuloth

Bottom line is: This is not your computer’s fault. Read the thread above for a couple of player solutions. Only Blizzard can fix the issue and that might take a while.

FWIW, I had the same problem on WoW Classic. Either: the game launched, after the loading screen it would crash my Macbook; or the game launched, I played for a while, the game would freeze and it would crash my Macbook. It got eventually fixed after a month but I think the issue is still there. Stopped playing in P2.

2 Likes

I would say its pretty high. The fans go hard and then the computer shuts off when it cant take it anymore. But I don’t think there is anything I can do to bring the temp down. If there is I would love to hear it.

You really cannot do anything. your computer simply is not capable of running WoW effectively because it is unable to handle the strain. You need better hardware.
They also are just…badly designed in terms o thermodynamics.

I would never recommend a mac for gaming, or for anything to be honest. They are overpriced, when they break it is an utter headache to repair them. You can build a PC for the same price and it would accomplish much more.

Nope, there is not I like macbooks…but they just suck at dissipating heat…and the 645 is Equivalent to a 940mx roughly…

That and wow and mac with this patch has issues

Thank you. I will post there. Unfortunately, the only advice is use windows which I have no intention on doing.

WHy do you not wsh to use windows?

There is linux what I use, and wow, and overwatch run fine…and with lutris and steam proton gaming on linux…is I will dare say in a better spot then mac

Not a fan of windows now with that said I still dual boot…but use linux 99.9% of the time…there is a ton of reasons why one would not use windows

Just a few

The windows updates the way they handle them suck…

I dont like my OS to spy on me…

Most linux distros run hell of a lot faster and less bloated…

What I currently use is a window PC with a dual boot. I’ve primarily stuck with ubuntu.
I think I can use Wine, however, to run WoW

I tried for 6 months to get wow to run smoothly on my wife’s imac and eventually gave up.

All of the little tweaks and tricks wouldn’t fix the problem but just make it marginally less bad.

It runs fine on my pc and my kids’ laptop but for some reason on the mac nothing works the way it should.

I haven’t had major performance issues on my Mac but I have noticed lag randomly where I wasn’t lagging before, like leveling my new Vulpera in silver pine, but for some reason doing something like Ashran at 120 is still fine for me even when everyone in ashran chat asks if anyone else is lagging lol. So I really don’t know tbh, I thought it was just maybe server issues because I play Horde on A52 but Proudmoore is my main server and is considered full too so I don’t think that’s it.

Hope they fix whatever issues with the Mac client is going on

I don’t know from computers. I use a Mac because it’s simple. I only play wow and use the Browser/email. That’s all. If it wasn’t for WOW I would be able to use an iPad. Windows and Linux would be SO much more complicated and require me to to learn a whole new OS. Besides WOW is not a game that requires a gaming PC.

Majority of Apples Mac lineup has thermal issues, except the Mac Pro.
And also maybe the latest 16 inch MBP, but I’m not sure.

I do use a Mac Pro and MBP, but don’t game on it.

Thats very bad. Thats actually worse than thermal throttling.
If you keep on doing that, you might do permanent damage to your components.

I’m also hoping they figure this out. My 2019 iMac ran the game amazingly before the patch, so did a 7-year old MacBook Pro. Now it’s just a nightmare of lagging and fans running constantly on the new iMac in every zone, where there was very little in the past. I agree the older zones seem to be running worst of all, particularly Draenor. Has nothing to do with Macs being poor at “fill in blank,” and moreso the fact that it was fine before 8.3 and now it’s not. The minor updates after 8.3 seem to have made it even worse, as right after 8.3 was not entirely awful yet, or maybe I didn’t play enough to notice. Adjusting graphics settings didn’t seem to help in any way. Here’s to hoping there will be a fix soon.

Doing dailies are a pain. Running visions and dungeons are impossible.

I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro and i am having the same problem. i have been playing wow on a Mac since vanilla and this has been the worst problem ever. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the game three times with no luck. If this is not fixed soon i might just stop my subscription to wow, no sense in paying for a game i can’t play… please fix this.
2020-01-23T07:00:00Z