8.3 FPS Drop and Freezing

yes i followed the process of that exact support article and the fps drops and freezing was still happening in the same manner.

The Windows error reporting is showing some odd errors. We might run a system file check here:

Type cmd in the Windows search box. Right click on Command Prompt that appears - select “Run as Administrator”

At the Command Prompt cursor type or paste: (after pasting click enter key to start things)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (takes a minute - then at C prompt run)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth (this and the next command can take awhile)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

*While running DISM using the /RestoreHealth or /ScanHealth, you could notice the process may seem stuck at 20% or 40%, normal behavior. After a few minutes the scan will finish. When the bar reaches 100% it may seem to stall give it some time.

Next run the System File Check command. It will take 10 minutes or so.

sfc /scannow (space between sfc and /scannow)

If sfc /scannow finds errors the tool will attempt to repair them. It will print that out. If it prints successful repairs - great. If it prints “could not repair all” - run it again.

Note - If you are typing the commands there is a space before each slash symbol - /

If it finds errors then prints that it repaired them run it again - you want to see the “All Clear” message.

1 Like

Bruffo

I think you may be pushing your luck here. If you don’t want to try troubleshoot your issues your comments aren’t helpful.

1 Like

You have had some threads locked and removed today. It seems you aren’t getting the message that this forum is a help forum.

I’ve been helping out on here since it came into existence many moons ago. I don’t work for Blizzard - I don’t even live in the USA. Simply like tech puzzles and helping folk out.

I told you on other threads - if you want some assistance let’s get at it. This back and forth isn’t fixing anything.

Posted this in one of the other threads, figured since this was popular I’d repost here too.

Do you guys run Logitech Gamehub (or Logitech G series software) by chance? I had a buddy running Windows 10 1909, i7 4790k, 24 gigs of ram and a gtx 1080 he was getting weird frame hitching only in WoW but his OBS when he was streaming would still be fine. Had him shutdown gamehub after saving his settings to his mouse and his WoW stopped hitching entirely.

I have a feeling its tapping the DirectX API in a weird way to try and do the whole “Color coordinate your lighting to your game” even if you’re not using that feature actively and as a result its killing FPS in game on systems that otherwise seem fine.

Most people report that turning Graphics API version to DirectX 11 Legacy makes the game playable but frames suck so its probably logitech eating up more available threads since DX11 Legacy mode is a single thread instead of trying to stream multiple at once. At least that’s my guess.

1 Like

There’s help and then there’s the redundant “generic” customer service that a lot of us have come to despise. There are many persons who are experiencing sudden issues with just the patch and beyond and suddenly; to suggest all kinds of strategies to open up the computer to running all kinds of tests outside of the ones designed to assist blizzard figure out what the conflict might be is indeed, a waste of time.

Anyway let’s hope that Blizzard figures out what’s going on soon :slight_smile:

6 Likes

BTW so far, by disabling my NVIDIA shadowplay and going to direct x 11 legacy has at least stopped the issue from continuing so far.

It’s all blind speculation but at least I can stay in the game and not reboot my computer every 15-20 minutes so hopefully they figure it out :slight_smile:

Edit : not a single crash in 6+ hours now previous to doing the above though didn’t re-enable either to dx12 or my shadowplay will do that in a bit…

I’ve had bad issues since day one of 8.3 patch. Random freezing, “not enough memory” crashing, memory&cpu spiking up in an instant over 90%, monitors will start blinking and go black until I have to force restart PC, driver crashing. I had tried all troubleshooting I read as I scour the forums of others going through similar things, nothing had worked for me. I have Windows 8.1, GeForce GTX 970, 16 GB RAM. I updated everything I could, turned graphics low, tried direct x 11 legacy, reinstall, etc. Also these problems only occurred when I was logged into WoW (since patch) and only then.
Now I know this may not be the case for several, but I use ElvUI (up to date) and I turned off any/all 3D portrait options I could find and since then I’ve not had a crash. Get brief lag here or there but it’s much more playable than it was the other day. I still think this is something blizzard should keep looking into as even with that setting on before the patch things were just fine, and it’s clear a ton of people are still experience similar issues either way. Regardless I hope this helps even a few people if they are using a UI addon that has this type of setting.

1 Like

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth - No component corruption detected.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth - No component corruption detected. operation completed successfully.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - the restore operation completed successfully.

sfc /scannow - Windows Resources Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I was concerned with the windows error reporting aswell. But honestly i know enough about computers to fix small things, google big things, and get myself in trouble so i hadn’t messed with them yet.

As a side note, i appreciate the help and do 100% recognize that green text is not blue text. It’s on your own time not blizz’s dime. And, things are stable under dx11 legacy, though with lower fps than i would like and enjoy. I just wish i could use dx11 or dx 12 for better performance lol =( And hoping that maybe sharing the dxdiag info, and process you are helping me go through can assist some blue text in finding/fixing the cause if it is on their end.

having same issue since i tried to log in this morning,disconnects freezing ect.

Your system shouldn’t have issues at all Wisconsen. It’s very similar to what I play on. I was checking some errors. On the Battle.net launcher settings - check that Streaming is disabled.

Have you tried a Selective Startup mode to test.

Let’s reinstall the Nvidia using the DDU tool for a nice clean uninstall. First download this driver. It isn’t the most recent - I want to rollback one driver.

Download the DDU tool:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2608

Basically you extract the uninstaller from the download. (it will extract to a folder called DDU)

*Important: Unplug the Ethernet or disable the Wifi to avoid Windows automatic driver installation.

I like to boot the computer into safe mode then run the DDU tool. (This isn’t essential and you will need to confirm you have the windows password before you do so. If you are using a PIN it will ask for the actual password after running safe mode.)

On the tool you select Graphics type then Nvidia. Run the recommended “Clean then restart”.

Now for the install. Start the driver download. Select Graphics only (no GeForce Experience). Select Custom install carry on to the next pane. There is a box to check for Clean Install select (check) that box. (Resets the Nvidia control panel and profiles to defaults)

You will see a Windows Smart Screen warning when you start the Driver install as you are offline - ignore that.

When the install is all finished check these power settings:

Open the NVidia Control Panel and select “Manage 3D settings”. Midway down the list you will see is a setting called Power Management Mode. Change that from Optimal to Prefer Maximum Performance. Apply changes.

Next go to the Control Panel > Power Options. That should be set to High Performance If you don’t see that setting open the Show Additional Plans dropdown.

One thing odd on the DXDiag is your Intel onboard graphics are showing up. Is something plugged into your motherboard graphics ports? DXDiag isn’t showing anything.

I can’t find any streaming settings within the battlernet launcher, though i could have sworn i disabled them a few years ago as i don’t stream myself.

I’ve used the DDU tool to reinstall my nvida drivers cleanly already. I have now done it a second time as per your request.

the Nvidia control panel power management is set to Prefer Maximum Performance and applied the changes.

My Control Panel -> Power Options are set to High Performance.

Nothign is plugged into the onboard graphics ports just a single monitory connected to the gtx970 card.

I tend to run very few background processes, but i will try that tonight or tomorrow and reply with the results.

Currently still stable on dx11 legacy. Will test again dx11/12 with the selective startup.

Check these Windows Features as well.

Go to the main wow folder retail folder. At the bottom of the list is a Wow icon (W) icon.

Right click on the Wow icon. Select “Properties” at bottom of list. Then select “Compatibility” tab along top of next pane.

At the bottom of the pane select (check) “Disable Fullscreen Optimization”

Next go to Windows > Settings > Gaming. Disable anything you can under Game Bar - Captures and Game Mode

We have been having issues with Retail Wow since the release of patch 8.3,the game freezes up on Us and also crashes.

Before Patch 8.3 was released We were able to play without any major issues.

Our Systems are setup with the following

Windows 10 64-Bit
Intel Core i5-4460
20 GB Ram
2 TB HDD
Keyboard and Mouse
1920 x 1080 Resolution
Broadband Internet

We’re also getting the error that the 3D accelerator isn’t working

2 Likes

Hi Iyeyasu

Let’s start your own troubleshooting thread. We like to work that way on the forum here - avoids confusion. On you new thread can you supply a DXDiag system report.

The second section of page has DXDiag report instructions - we don’t require the MSinfo report.

That will be a wall of text. If you have issues pasting on the Forum here go ahead and put it up on pastebin.com. Provide the link code portion of the URL - example below.

(The green bold portion at the end of this example link: https://pastebin.com/**Qk28Ed1P** <=== this code)

Alternately you can place the link in a Preformatted Text box. Paste the link in the chatbox - then highlight it. Click the preformatted text button along the top of the chatbox - looks like this </>

Will look like this example afterwards:

https://pastebin.com/xxxxxxxx

Submit your diagnostic reports and stuff but to save yourself some headaches don’t stress yourself out too much based on what’s being said and read here it’s something on the Blizzard side versus on your side.

1 Like

Latest update tried to update it to DX12 from legacy 11 and well no crashes at this point in 6 hours. Will try to enabler shadowplay tonight…

Disabled fullscreen optimization (could have sworn i did this before, but it wasn’t done when i checked)

Windows gamebar, xbox, and streaming related options were turned off months ago, but i double checked.

Did a selective startup this morning to ensure no background applications where causing problems. (only left “Windows Security notification icon” and “blizzard battle.net app” enabled under startup)

Re-enabled dx12 and have been stable for 40minutes doing WQs.

Will slowly reinable the few background processes i use (ghub, gyazo, speccy, googledrivesync, and realtek HD audio universal service to rule them out.)

It’s stable which is what i care about, but it is frustrating to not know what happened or why. I greatly appriciate you assistance and help Tratt. If it occurs again within a timely period i will reply to one of your posts here to ping you again. But if it stays stable you won’t hear from me again =)

Hopefully the process we went through and the information created can help the blue text figure out what is happening, or maybe help someone else who was having the same issues.