8 Million Players

Vanilla and TBC was the golden era for machinima.

I assure you itā€™s not the same game that we can play here in the NA / EU markets.

If BFA is some how as is here in NA / EU the same game as in China then this shows us that the entire game was developed for the China market specifically and the rest of the world be damned.

I doubt very much that BFA in china is exactly the sameā€¦ I very strongly doubt that is so.

I know for a fact that China WoW is heavily censored, where as the in Taiwan they can actually play on NA / Oceanic servers.

I know China loves to consider Taiwan as part of main land china, but itā€™s two very different countries politically.

Well yeah, they have their censorship of certain models and what not, right? I was just saying, theyā€™re up to date on the patches and what not.

Could very well be up to date, but knowing china they changed things; not just client side but they could have objected to some content. They change things because it does not align with their hyper conservative censorship and promote CCP political morality.

It is possible that BFA was designed specifically so that it could enter china but thatā€™s no promise it did not get certain quests, dungeons, models, textures, or even events removed due to CCP rules that are as clear as a dirty cup of coffee.

I have no way to know, right now but if misfortune strikes and I need to go to china then Iā€™ll let ya know what I see for sure.

https://www.wowchina.com/zh-cn/

ā€œYou think you do, but you donā€™t.ā€

This.

Also keep in mind that for many of those players who played Vanilla when it was current content it was a new experience. At the time.

That experience isnā€™t so fresh now. Those players have already mastered that content. Most probably wonā€™t want to repeat the same content. Instead they want something new.

I expect that Classic will initially have a few million accounts created, mostly by tourists from Retail. When the shinyness wears off and we get down to players who play only Classic or who decide to main in Classic rather than Retail, I expect the number will be much, MUCH smaller. Maybe a couple-hundred thousand at most.

Considering BFA has less than 5mill i doubt they bring back that many

Assuming people WANT to do it again. A lot of those top streamers may not want to put in that kind of time again. Most donā€™t.

The reality is that itā€™s not 2004-2006 again. Thereā€™s definitely other games that attract a lot more attention.

Iā€™d imagine after about 30 days of lving up weapon skills, several bad stat appointments, numerous ninja node stealing events and a myriad of other things youā€™ll see a normalization down to about half of whatā€™s on bfa

Exactly.

Classic was a revelation to those of us coming from EQ/UOL/Runescape. Going back to classic from what we have now would be like going back to Dark Age of Camelot from Classic. I have no doubt there are those who want that; I also have no doubt that itā€™s not as many as these forums would have us believe.

Also, does WoW have necromancers now?

1 Like

Some of us like rolling new alts and running thru all the content multiple times, Iā€™ve been called an alotholic. My first character was rolled for a beta pass in Oct. `04.

Technically death knights are necromancers.

Many of those same players now have families and professional jobs.

When I was playing WoW in 2005, I was a singleton living alone and staying up until 1am was completely reasonable.

Now my kids get up at 6am, so I do as well.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only parent like that.

I completely believe that Classic will blow retail numbers out of the water. Myself and 8 other RL friends will be returning to the game. all of who quit in Cata-MoP. I would imagine there are so many other people with x amount of friends in this position as well, all of which are counting down the days to classic and who believe retail is awful.
Launch day will be insaneā€¦ and most people say the population will drop and then plateau at 500000-1000000 players. I believe it will drop, but then I believe it will rise slowly and plateau at a much larger number - 5000000+.
It will rise slowly because more and more people will find that it is such a better game. The more dominant retail players will pop over to their classic character here and thereā€¦ and as it gets further and further along, they will become classic dominant players. Something will hook them into it, there is a reason they no longer report sub numbers and Vanilla had 10+ million players.
Classicā€™s success is gonna turn Blizzard on its head

2 Likes

When I started playing WoW, my shift was 4pm-1am and all I did when I got out of work was come home and play from 1:30am until 7am or so, sleep and then go to work.

I have an actual career and a family now. I get home from work at 5pm, make dinner, hang with the wife, watch some TV and after she goes to bed I have maybe an hour or so of time to myself before I pass out. Itā€™s gonna take me a week just to get out of the starting area!

4 Likes

As to the topic, the notion that Classic will sustain a population of 5-8 million players is overly optimistic to say the least. But Iā€™m no reader of tea leaves, so who knows.

3 Likes

U.S. and E.U. Combined. Not including China!

I think it will be very popular in the E.U. It will catch fire in the U.S. as well when word spreads about Vanilla being playable again.

Classic will be single most underestimated launch in Blizzardā€™s historyā€¦ with the exception of maybe Vanilla itself. Classic will eclipse BfA EVEN after a few months and the inevitable drop off of tire kickers.

1 Like

As long as Blizzard markets it with passionā€¦ Classic will be a huge success.

1 Like