8.2 Frost Tuning

with breath the group is in front of you. with GS you’re in the group of adds.

im just thinking of ways to make our talents better than the mushy mess they are now

still needs work tho so do you have an idea that makes the 100 row 3 different styles?

1 Like

Or even as simple as tweaking obliteration, and adding to it that with that talent, Obliterate ignores a portion of armor/mitigation… that would go a long way

2 Likes

thats a neat idea

do we even need icecap anymore sine Pof is 45 sec now? its a neat name. also permafrost oh boy a talent for auto attack damage shield

permafrost makes your ice abilites slow the target/s and each stack increases the slow and eventual stunning them

1 Like

In theory radial and cone are different, but I’d really argue that that isn’t the case in practice. When was the last time you were encircled by enemies as a DPS, or needed to hit a target behind you without turning around? Proper positioning with the BoS cone already solves the issue of hitting most targets. It’s too niche of a situation to really pit those things against each other, let alone with a very similar mechanic behind it all. Talents absolutely need to be more distinct than that, and impact your gameplay differently.

I don’t have any particular design ideas off the top of my head, but I think with the three options we have at each tier, we should generally have a single target, a cleave, and an AoE focused option for the tiers that make large gameplay changes (like BoS does, and most other tier 100 talents). Even if there is some overlap, distinction in play is possibly the most important aspect of talents, in my mind. Switching talents should feel different, and have you play differently, and right now two of Frost’s tier 100 talents don’t really change your gameplay at all.

2 Likes

Agreed… BoS is a great PvE talent, and the buffs to it just make it better. Obliteration is a PvP talent, but it needs some help to make it better

2 Likes

hmmm a cleave talent maybe something it changes frostscythe’s cleave travels

or move Frsy to 100 to fill out the single, aoe, and cleave talents.

oh hey does obliteration and murderuous stack

2 Likes

I’m hesitant to agree with this. The amount of armor ignored would have to scale off of Strength or something else, otherwise it would just be a flat increase. And this would possibly differ from boss to boss? I can’t say for sure off the top of my head, but do bosses have different armor values still? This would also affect the usefulness of the ability on trash mobs, world mobs, etc. I think having it be based on some stats (relatively) static to the player would be wiser, and not include armor.

2 Likes

Yup agreed, steer it more towards a PvP talent where it can/would ignore a portion of a players armor, not mobs or bosses.

3 Likes

so frsy for 100
obliteration makes KM scale with highest second stat
oblit scales with mastery
and breath for aoe

1 Like

Frostscythe seems kinda puny for a 100 talent. make it base and make a talent that turns it into a cleave tornado.

Bring back Icy Touch for a single target Frost Fever in its spot on the 60 row

I dunno if a cleave tornado fits us. what if the cleave traveled then did a ice explsion

They could also consider giving Obliteration a utility effect when utilized which lasts for a much longer duration than those of the other classes due to the increased cooldown and ability to utilize it only when Obliteration is active.

It would be great if this actually did both a Magic and a Physical debuff. If we consider that a DH gets a 5% Magic increase for all raid members from the Chaos Brand. Then Monks get Mystic Touch which increases all physical damage by 5%.

Why couldn’t the frost DK have a mechanic - Due to the extreme cold the targeted is effected with Hyperthermia in addition his armor becomes brittle and doesn’t provide the protection it once offered. This in game terms means that they target takes increased damage from all sources both Physical and Magical damage for 5% increase.
This only happens when the DK is spec’d in to Obliteration and then changes their Frost Fevor to carry this extra part which isn’t there for the others.

In addition they should do something like this for Unholy as well to give the DK some raid bonus that they currently lack in terms of a Buff or Beneficial mechanic. It is also one of the key reasons we are seeing Warriors, Paladins and Brewmaster being chosen as tanks now and every single Mythic Crucible is running either just 1 DH for their buff or a Rogue and DH for Melee DPS which says a lot about the current stat of the meta for melee classes who don’t offer a raid buff or bonus

now the bearth is nerf :’(

breathe needs a nerf and obliterate needs a buff

1 Like

Bit late there, mate.

No. It needs a revamp and Obliteration should be back as it was before.

1 Like

According to Wowhead they just nerfed it, and they buffed … Icecap for some reason …

I don’t really know if this buff on Icecap is going to be good. Tbh this talent shouldn’t be at lvl 100, its lackluster and pales in comparison to the others. And I still think that Obliteration should make Obliterate deal extra frost dmg during its duration.

3 Likes

That Icecap buff would make PoF a permanent buff… Still wouldn’t be enough to bring us inline with other specs…

Looked at the PTR changes…
Frost

• [Breath of Sindragosa] Continuously deal [ 34.7% of Attack Power + 34.7% [ 31.3% of Attack Power + 31.3% of Off-hand Attack Power ] Frost damage every 1 sec to enemies in a cone in front of you, until your Runic Power is exhausted. Deals reduced damage to secondary targets. Generates 2 Runes at the start and end. Frost Death Knight - Level 100 Talent. Frost Death Knight - Level 100 Talent. Instant. 2 min cooldown.
  • [Chill Streak (New)Deals [ 100% of Attack Power ] Frost damage to the target and reduces their movement speed by 70% for 4 sec. Chill Streak bounces up to 9 times between closest targets within 6 yards. PvP Talent. PvP Talent. 40 yd range. Instant. 45 sec cooldown. Requires DeathKnight. Requires level 57+.
  • [Frost Death Knight] Increases damage/healing by 2%: Avalanche, Blood Plague, Breath of Sindragosa, Chill Streak, Cold Heart, Death and Decay, Death Strike, Frost Fever, Frost Strike, Frost Strike Off-Hand, Frostscythe, Frostwyrm’s Fury, Frozen Pulse, Glacial Advance, Howling Blast, Inexorable Assault, Obliterate, Obliterate Off-Hand, Remorseless Winter, Rune of Razorice Increases periodic damage/healing by 2%: Avalanche, Blood Plague, Breath of Sindragosa, Chill Streak, Cold Heart, Death and Decay, Death Strike, Frost Fever, Frost Strike, Frost Strike Off-Hand, Frostscythe, Frostwyrm’s Fury, Frozen Pulse, Glacial Advance, Howling Blast, Inexorable Assault, Obliterate, Obliterate Off-Hand, Remorseless Winter, Rune of Razorice Death Knight - Frost Spec. Death Knight - Frost Spec.
  • [Frost Strike] Chill your weapons with icy power, and quickly strike the enemy with both weapons, dealing a total of [ 54% [ 62% of Attack Power ] Frost damage. Requires One-Handed Melee Weapon. Death Knight - Frost Spec. Death Knight - Frost Spec. 25 Runic Power. Melee range. Instant.
  • [Icecap] Your Frost Strike, Frostscythe, and Obliterate critical strikes reduce the remaining cooldown of Pillar of Frost by 1 3 sec. Frost Death Knight - Level 100 Talent. Frost Death Knight - Level 100 Talent.

BoS damage down, only b/c the entire spec is getting a 2% damage aura buff…

1 Like

Keep in mind, you’re getting a 9% decrease in damage on BoS alone but everything else is going up by 2% and your regen is also increasing which means you get more ability to cast and more damage overall as a result.

If you can get on PTR and test it on a dummy it will help.
Keep in mind how much damage sindragosa makes up for DK, and the damage decrease, when factoring how much longer it now lasts, may actually be slightly higher.