8.2 Frost Tuning

Just sitting here, waiting patiently.

Maybe so but I stand by my point that DK’s are still currently the only melee in the game that seemed to be limited by PPM and are forced to stack Haste to overcome that single issue. More haste = more PPM, although haste benefits other melee they have other things that allow them not to have to worry about it and it doesn’t effect their overall showing if they lack haste where a there is substantial differences between DK based on haste because of the PPM based methodology depending on haste.

In addition because the proc is chance from a normal melee critical it suffers two fold because you need to stack haste to get more but you need critical to obtain the KM itself for example and this is the underlying issue I could be wrong but it’s been an issue for a long time with very poor balance throughout the class, it’s play style and the scaling. This has been on and off since the inception of the class and the amount of changes that have been done are crazy when you compare them to other classes in the game. No class has gone through the drastic level of play style and abilities changes overall through numerous expansions as much as the DK sadly.

KM should be spent on frost strike and change frostscythe to 30 runic. Glacial advance change to single rune.

Frost strike and frostscythe can be scaled with mastery. But obliterate only scale with versatility. We can’t put our already low secondary stats into all stats just for better KM.

Make frostscythe and glacial advance into baseline pls.

1 Like

I feel like this is going to be the make or break tuning for frost. Its been so bad this entire xpac. If blizzard jacks this up (and I’m confident they will) I don’t think they can revamp it without a complete makeover.

1 Like

Is this in game right now or or does it still need to be implemented into the game?

It’s coming with 8.2. which will probably be around end of May/June-ish

1 Like

Awwww not soon enough if you ask me.

BoS is insanely strong on PTR with the changes.

Except Haste is our worst stat for Frost…

2 Likes

for PvP?

I feel like in order to make BoS viable in PvP they’re going to have to make it an uninteruptable cast or give us something besides our one wall that can eliminate the possibility of being stunned… otherwise you’re just going to get stunned and BoS is over…

Obliteration is looking/feeling alot better on the ptr, it could be tuned up a bit, but it’s overall uptime has increased greatly

Obliteration honestly needs some kind of redesign. It’s just so bland as it is, it barely affects how you play, and it scales poorly. It just doesn’t compare as a 100 tier talent with our current distribution of damage (auto-attacks and Frost Fever). But at least it isn’t Icecap, I guess.

1 Like

Have have an idea I’m working on that makes Obliteration make km scale with crit or highest second stat and km procs seperatly on FS. When Rime procs on HB the application of ff will deal its total damage upfront then tick as normal
It makes the talent Inexorable Assault do additional 20% frost damage

Gathering storm moves to the 100 row and added rp spending to increase its damage and duration and extends the duration cap

1 Like

As old as the suggestion is, I think some Frost damage on Obliterate really would go a long way if it were baked into Obliteration. Even if it was just added into the current design, it at least gives the talent some relevant scaling, and subsequently having more Mastery would give the build at least some stronger cleave, and not leave it solely single target focused.

This just sounds like BoS, and on the same row. It’s radial instead of a cone, but what else would the difference be? Not sure I understand the thought behind this.

2 Likes

with breath the group is in front of you. with GS you’re in the group of adds.

im just thinking of ways to make our talents better than the mushy mess they are now

still needs work tho so do you have an idea that makes the 100 row 3 different styles?

1 Like

Or even as simple as tweaking obliteration, and adding to it that with that talent, Obliterate ignores a portion of armor/mitigation… that would go a long way

2 Likes

thats a neat idea

do we even need icecap anymore sine Pof is 45 sec now? its a neat name. also permafrost oh boy a talent for auto attack damage shield

permafrost makes your ice abilites slow the target/s and each stack increases the slow and eventual stunning them

1 Like

In theory radial and cone are different, but I’d really argue that that isn’t the case in practice. When was the last time you were encircled by enemies as a DPS, or needed to hit a target behind you without turning around? Proper positioning with the BoS cone already solves the issue of hitting most targets. It’s too niche of a situation to really pit those things against each other, let alone with a very similar mechanic behind it all. Talents absolutely need to be more distinct than that, and impact your gameplay differently.

I don’t have any particular design ideas off the top of my head, but I think with the three options we have at each tier, we should generally have a single target, a cleave, and an AoE focused option for the tiers that make large gameplay changes (like BoS does, and most other tier 100 talents). Even if there is some overlap, distinction in play is possibly the most important aspect of talents, in my mind. Switching talents should feel different, and have you play differently, and right now two of Frost’s tier 100 talents don’t really change your gameplay at all.

2 Likes

Agreed… BoS is a great PvE talent, and the buffs to it just make it better. Obliteration is a PvP talent, but it needs some help to make it better

2 Likes

hmmm a cleave talent maybe something it changes frostscythe’s cleave travels

or move Frsy to 100 to fill out the single, aoe, and cleave talents.

oh hey does obliteration and murderuous stack

2 Likes