8.1 Disc PvP feedback

Wanted to give a little feedback in regards to disc in 8.1.
I have been reading the notes for every patch and every time it feels like disc is getting more and more nerfed.
my initial thoughts, alongside big WoW community's priest names like Hydramist was that discipline priest will be completely unviable come 8.1, and after that there hasn't been much discussion about it other than a "let's wait maybe they revert some of these things" which obviously hasn't happened this far, so I wanted to discuss everything here individually instead and give my full feedback (2900MMR 3v3 multi-priest gladiator) on everything Discipline 8.1.

Let's start with the obvious:
-16% damage from smite, pain(and PTW) and some other nerfs to Solace and Schism - These I don't think is something we, as discipline Priests, should worry much about. 3v3-wise Discipline Priest heals a lot more than deals damage, and you're usually only doing damage to help your team when going for the kill. That said, this can easily be handled if compensated by a buff to Attonement healing. I don't think Discipline Healing is currently very strong in 3v3 situations, it ooms too fast (especially if forced to spam heals) and doesn't have a particularly strong throughput outside of (traited)Radiance burst. That said, a massive damage nerf makes it so Discipline stays further behind in healing done.

And now things get ugly:
Attonement nerfed by 9.2% (from 60 to 55) - This hurts. I understand the PvE need for this, as Discipline Priests are overperforming in Mythic raid (and mythic raiding alone). This combined with the damage nerf makes it so Disc will be forced to heal more, going oom even faster than the current 2 to 3 minutes avarage.
Weakened Soul - This was strictly a PvP nerf. Now Priests can't spam shield themselves when getting trained. This was probably thought about during the early days of 8.0 when everyone was low ilvl and Disc was 1v1ing people in world PvP. I don't think the game gains much from this, especially since Plea doesn't exist anymore. Spamming shield is already not the best strategy since the priest itself will go oom fast and the Absorb is neglectable, but its still needed especially when getting trained by melee. I'd suggest the return of Plea or a PW:S absorb Buff if weakened soul is to be kept as-is.
PW:S mana increased by 8% - Another massive nerf but I see where they're going here. This is a PvE nerf for sure to make it so Disc Priests don't spam shield too much. I wouldn't really see a problem here, but as mentioned before Discipline's mana in a 3v3 enviroment is already horrible, and this adds insult to injury.
Focused Will nerf - Another "insult to injury" nerf. Discipline Priests are the only healers that don't have an escape in the entire game, but we also don't have a way of "tanking damage", much like Monks, but unlike monks, we don't have escapes, so this means we're a stationary healer. This focused will nerf was surely something thought out during the early days of BFA world PvP and are completely unwarranted. The simple fact Discipline Priests will run oom before 2 minutes when getting trained by melee is already getting massively worst with the changes, this makes it so we take more damage, have to heal more and in turn go oom even faster.

All this without any kind of compensation at all. PvE is indeed geting a compensation in the form of the (probably) now mandatory Depth of the Shadows trait, but I don't think that will be able to make up for PvP discipline priests at all.
The mana nerf to PW:S could be made better if Shadow Mend's mana cost was reduced to the exact same cost (2.7% of the mana base instead of 3%) and the focused will nerf still just feels completely unwarranted, especially for the only healer in the game without an escape.
I understand the 2v2 situation as well, but keep in mind Discipline Priests, in 2v2, already get trained in every melee matchup. By doing less damage and healing less through attonement, there is absolutely no reason why Focused Will stays in 1 charge instead of 2, since in theory we'll be casting heals a lot more instead of smites, and even if we smite, we won't be doing as much damage.
If anything, I am certain that having focused will be fully reverted to 15% with 2 charges is the ideal point in which Discipline Priests should be come 8.1.

I think I can talk for all Discipline Priest lovers when I say this:Please, don't delete our spec. There are a lot of other discipline Priests like myself and Hydra who love the spec and have been playing it forever - we don't want to be forced to drop it like we currently will be in 8.1

Edit:
Edditing OP to add my suggestion on Discipline Changes:
-Keep Damage and Attonement nerfs.
-Keep PW:S Mana nerf.
-Revert Focused will nerf.
-Remove Weakened Soul.
-Reduce cost of Shadow Mend.
-Add a line to Ultimate Radiance(PvP talent) that reduces its mana cost and number of targets it heals from 5 to 3.
-Buff the talent Shield Discipline significantly so it can compete with the other 2, giving it the option to be mana efficient at the expense of further decreasing its damage throughput.
29 Likes
I find it comical that they’re nerfing disc like it was god tier, looks like holy paladin and resto shamans are going to be top this expansion.
3 Likes
I couldn't agree more with everything that has been stated. It truly feels like the pvp aspect of disc has been completely forgotten in these nerfs, and disc priest community that enjoys pvping are out of luck, and its just really sad.
5 Likes
I'm extremely worried about the Focused Will nerf. As you said, we are a stationary healer. To compensate, we're supposed to be a little bit more tanky than the other healers.

Our only "escape" is feather, and I'm already choosing masochism on some extreme bursty comps (fire/sin/x). I feel like I'll need to take masochism a lot more often now with the FW nerf, thus having exactly 0 escape.

I really didn't think disc was OP in the mana department for the PWS mana nerf. It seems rdruid/sham were already way better with mana. It's a shame that dragonslaying nerfs are bleeding over into pvp.
5 Likes
Join the Club. Rdruid got a massive nerf 25% less healing overall. We are now the least represented healing class of all the healers.
11/12/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Arabchief
Join the Club. Rdruid got a massive nerf 25% less healing overall. We are now the least represented healing class of all the healers.

Rdruid was overpowered in PvP, and was overrepresented in PvP to the point you could replace any healer with a Druid on any comp and the comp would instantly be better.
that hasn't happened to Disc in any point of this expansion as people make it out to be, and Druids are still viable healers, undertuned for sure and in need of a buff for sure, but still viable.
8.1 nerfs will put disc in the unviable tier, which is much further below the current tier-2 Rdruids are. If 8.1 was to go live as it is right now, you'd probably see as much Discipline Priests on the ladder as you see holy priests right now in 8.0.
6 Likes
Hydra's got a shaman now to play and can put his 4 discs on the shelf once these nerfs go through
3 Likes
Our options:
1. Be useless
2. Reroll
3. Quit

I know which one I will be doing. And they keep adding nerfs on top of the pile, like they apparently don't think they've gone far enough (Weakened soul up to 7.5 sec from 6 sec as of latest PTR).

They completely destroyed Resto druids and that just shows how callous they are at heavy handed nerfs. Guess we are next on the chopping block.

10/24/2018 06:10 AMPosted by Healyelflol
waiting for 8.1 is like sitting on death row
3 Likes
11/12/2018 06:00 PMPosted by NĂĽba
11/12/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Arabchief

Rdruid was overpowered in PvP, and was overrepresented in PvP to the point you could replace any healer with a Druid on any comp and the comp would instantly be better.
that hasn't happened to Disc in any point of this expansion as people make it out to be, and Druids are still viable healers, undertuned for sure and in need of a buff for sure, but still viable.
8.1 nerfs will put disc in the unviable tier, which is much further below the current tier-2 Rdruids are. If 8.1 was to go live as it is right now, you'd probably see as much Discipline Priests on the ladder as you see holy priests right now in 8.0.

The reason DIsc is made out to be insanely OP is because they are insanely OP. Trying to put pressure on a disc priest in a bg is next to impossible without at least 4 other people helping you. On my survival hunter I can put pressure on every healer except disc, disc priests just sit and don't take any damage. I'm for any healer nerfs. The only fun bg's is when no team has any healers. Just got done with AB at LM alliance had a disc/ resto druid and horde had disc/disc, jesus the fight lasted 6 mins so boring nobody on either side went below 50% an we only won at the end because one of the hordes disc priests went near the ledge and I used an explosive trap to knock him off. Disc priests will be fine in 8.1 they won't be able to tank 4 people at once anymore probably only 3 now but they will be fine.
2 Likes
11/13/2018 06:27 PMPosted by Dragonresto
On my survival hunter I can put pressure on every healer except disc, disc priests just sit and don't take any damage

This is because unlike every other healer, priests have no choice but to sit and tank damage. It's probably bad design because everybody cries about it, but if it takes your bg group 4 people to kill a disc they are probably sitting in Power Word Barrier (70% dmg reduction with pvp talent), and you should switch targets or knock them out of it. Outside of that we will be walking free HK's when targeted in 8.1 while other healers will have actual ways to get breathing room. I don't see Priests as being anything but absolute bottom tier, yet again, with our two healing specs being the absolute worst in the game in PvP.
4 Likes
11/13/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Melancholy

This is because unlike every other healer, priests have no choice but to sit and tank damage.

Another problem brought about by lack of communication. Even I didn't know about this. I figured that we were just given a really bad escape with Holy Feather or that AoE knockback talent, but it makes way more sense to think that disc priests were supposed to stand and commit.

And if I didn't even know that, how the hell was anyone else expected to? Nobody from Blizzard ever said a thing.
1 Like
Soooo many disc twinks going to feel these nerfs (not that most people care about twinks). They little healing gods that tank damage while just using penance and shield spam. Can't force a shadowmend until literally 3+ dps have them focused, which they can just stall with rapture and pain suppression. Have other healers cross healing the discs and they practically never die.
1 Like
11/13/2018 06:27 PMPosted by Dragonresto
11/12/2018 06:00 PMPosted by NĂĽba

The reason DIsc is made out to be insanely OP is because they are insanely OP. Trying to put pressure on a disc priest in a bg is next to impossible without at least 4 other people helping you. On my survival hunter I can put pressure on every healer except disc, disc priests just sit and don't take any damage. I'm for any healer nerfs. The only fun bg's is when no team has any healers. Just got done with AB at LM alliance had a disc/ resto druid and horde had disc/disc, jesus the fight lasted 6 mins so boring nobody on either side went below 50% an we only won at the end because one of the hordes disc priests went near the ledge and I used an explosive trap to knock him off. Disc priests will be fine in 8.1 they won't be able to tank 4 people at once anymore probably only 3 now but they will be fine.

If you have 4 people on a disc and can't kill him then you guys are probably just not playing properly. In 3s disc gets trained down just as hard as other healers and the nerfs to the class will make it even worse.
3 Likes
Big F for my beloved disc priest as I mostly PvP.

I can live with all the other changes but the focused will change kills them for me as they have zero tools to deal with people training them other than eating the damage to the face.

I am absolutely appalled by the focused will nerf. And then they keep nerfing power word: shield without making the absorb amount any higher.
8 Likes
Disc deserved some heavy handed nerfs, let's be real here.

As much of a joke as it is, you shouldn't be a one man army and should have to rely on teammates to help you.
3 Likes
I really wish we could get a blue response on this
it just feels like they decided to delete and abbandon the most played healer spec in the game and won't change their minds on the subject
11/15/2018 02:53 AMPosted by Valarien

As much of a joke as it is, you shouldn't be a one man army and should have to rely on teammates to help you.

I wonder how people like you, that never PvPed ever in your life, care to discuss this kind of stuff.
you don't arena, you don't rbg, you have never ever touched a single rated pvp in your entire 10k+ achievement points life, yet you feel like your completely biased and fool experience(or, in this case, lack of) entitles you to give your opinion on this matter.
every person in this thread, including you, who came here to say that the nerfs were warranted, have never did a single rated pvp in their lives, don't know how any healer plays, and just randomly make stuff up with nothing to back your argument up but "I immagine that...", cmon
why does it bother you to the point you have to come here and complain, even though you obviously have no clue on what you're trying to talk about?
13 Likes

Yes so much this!

Because they need to compensate for the players who do not even know a thing about interrupting,crowd control and proper pvp gameplay!
1 Like

learn to interrupt.

if you and one other dps can't kill a disc alone, then you and that other dps both suck
9 Likes

Blizzard pls .-.
/20char

Especially in late game for 2s, this will hurt us the most. Atonement already doesn’t heal for alot, and with Dampening, Atonement really wont heal for anything. We’ll be forced to spam Shadow Mend and power word: shie- oh wait…

Whoops. Can’t do that anymore. This isn’t a huge problem for me really, as spamming shields was generally bad to begin with since it costed alot of mana, but I wonder what this will do to the Strength of Soul talent. It reduces physical damage taken by 15% while the shield holds, but it doesn’t absorb much to begin with unless you have Rapture up.

Will they revert it back to Legion Strength of Soul that healed as well?

Another thing that will yet again hurt us. We have no mobility. We relied on tanking damage and Focused Will was a part of it since we weren’t really mobile like other classes. Could we possibly get our Legion Fade trait as a passive, where Fade reduces damage taken by a certain percent?

I hope it doesn’t become utter garbage. We need reworks of our Honor Talents if this is going to be the case.

4 Likes