Artifact Power Adjustments from Islands Bug

Last week, there was a bug active for approximately half an hour that resulted in a small number of players receiving an extreme amount of Artifact Power from completing Island Expeditions. While this error was on our end, the amount of Artifact Power given was far too high to leave as-is, as doing so would give an unfair advantage to the handful of players that happened to queue for Islands while this bug was active.

To that end, we have been working to identify and isolate these incorrect Artifact Power gains and remove the additional amounts that should not have been given. Players who were affected by this bug will instead be granted the amount of Artifact Power that would have been correct for the Island Expeditions they completed. This action has now been taken, and affected players will notice their total amount of Artifact Power has been reduced.

We apologize for the confusion and frustration this has caused, and remain committed to providing an equal and fair environment for our players.

11 Likes

How will one know if they were affected?

2 Likes

Fun detected…

6 Likes

Can we balance some classes so that they, too, also have a fair advantage? Or redesign some classes and make us have some actual rolls as support/dps instead of DPS. Looking at Rets specifically. At the least can we design specs like Ret to mean something again? Build build spend is so boring and none of their abilities means anything outside of hit this button to build, hit this one to build, hit this one to spend. There is no flavor, there is no originality anymore. Thanks.

3 Likes

Trust me, you’d know. If you completed an island and got 50,000 AP, you were affected. :slight_smile: It’s pretty safe to assume if you are unsure, you weren’t affected.

10 Likes

Fun was detected.

2 Likes

I’m okay with this. Realistically, I didn’t benefit from it, so it’s not right. Haw haw haw. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Zaylex and hunterxd

That’s fair.

5 Likes

Ah, so that’s what happened. I got the 50K on my main and alt and just figured there was some catch-up mechanic I didn’t read about in the patch notes. I’m fine with it being rolled back, since that was a pretty huge bump.

5 Likes

Fixing it so it doesn’t keep happening is one thing, but punitively acting against players for something on your end is excessive. It’s not like the Ivus bug players were actively and intentionally farming the AP from this bug that you need to set an example.

Plus it’s Azerite power – probably the least liked resources this game world has seen in 14 years. Would it really break the game to give players something nobody actually wants?

9 Likes

Good.

I’ve put some serious hours into the game questing, etc, to get my neck as high as it is right now (38 and making good progress toward 39), and it’s very demoralizing to see someone have a higher level neck simply because they did a quick Island Expedition at the right time to take advantage of a bug. Pretty pathetic to see those same people act like they actually deserve it.

5 Likes

LOL to the people acting like these things aren’t a problem and that they actually deserved the Ivus loot and Island AP.

Fun Detected? - What fun? AP isn’t fun… it’s simply being scaled back to what you’d get doing it since 50k was never meant to happen. Anyone willingly exploiting that knew that and took advantage of it. Same goes for the Darkshore WQ elite loot exploit. It’s really pathetic and childish how much some people will try to push this victim-blaming onto Blizzard when they get their precious AP reduced, or some other fix happening that was not supposed to happen.

These bugs happen through hundreds and thousands of lines of code, bugs/exploits happen, they get reported, and they get fixed. Deal with it you bunch of entitled trolls.

14 Likes

Blizzard did the right thing. It needed to be rolled back as that is enough to really tilt things.

If Blizzard hadn’t rolled it back, then it would have set a dangerous precedent for future exploits; while this one was on their end, inaction would just reinforce the “exploit early, exploit often” mindset.

4 Likes

Thank you for making a thread and explaining. Happy Holidays.

3 Likes

Interesting how they can go through and identify and correct this issue, but identifying everyone who made Expulsom required items that they hotfixed to a massively lesser cost, and refunding them that Expulsom, is just too hard to do.

Along the lines of “setting Island bugs right”, can those of us whose weekly Treasure Map missions expired overnight instead of having the proper, extended duration have those replaced?

:thinking: :thinking: wut :thinking: :thinking:

5 Likes

Was half expecting blizzard to temp ban players that did it, this is a fair fix. Thank you for the fair punishment.

(I didnt use the bug, but Im glad they arent getting banned for it)

1 Like