Anti Necro Posting

There are hyper-specific threads that are both old but also still the top search result on Google. In general there’s usually a reason that an older thread got found and it’s not because someone was paging back through thousands of pages of threads for fun.

The point being, that if it’s still the top search result on Google for its topic, it is still relevant.

it does, because if threads are linked with each other, the links are in the first post… both ways.

which often results in the exact problem which is being discussed.
threads from long ago, are brought to the top… with outdated information.

it really seems like you’re ignoring everything i’ve said.
i’ve already stated multiple times that people are arriving in (and posting in) old threads, due to a search engine sending them there.

Yeah, it really is asinine.

Yeah this is an example of bad necroing that deserves moderation. Same for somebody creating multiple nonsense threads that are aimed at trolling. They also get moderated. There’s no difference. That’s not a good enough reason, imo, to have a blanket rule because mods are lazy.

It’s a bit ludicrous to have to say that old threads aren’t “inherently bad.” That is just a ridiculous statement. Of course they aren’t. Rofl. The people who think they are are like cult members who think that simply because it’s an obscure rule specific to this rather ridiculous forum.

The forum should just auto-delete threads that have no new posts if it thinks they are useless. The information is outdated so they shouldn’t even be around to mislead people who find them by google search. According to the ridiculous reasoning for why the rule exists.

Can you (or anyone) elaborate on this? Do you mean the “Top” threads listing?

They probably mean the list of forum threads at the bottom of the page when you scroll to say the end of this topic like this one. It has a big header called Suggested Topics. Then has a list of forum threads you have checked out (some of them can be older). With stats listed by Topic, Category, Author, Replies, Views, and Activity.

Basically what Tekkect said Kaivax. Sometimes I’ll see a current thread that is on the forums. I’ll post in it as I’m doing now to reply to you. Not frequently but sometimes I’ll see a post right below mine on the forums in the Suggested Topics pane, and so I’ll click on it and read what’s there. Then I post in it.

It’s not frequent now as I’ve been very careful on checking times and days since last post, but there have been cases in the past where I accidentally posted in a old thread and inadvertently bumped / necroed a post.

It happens also when I accidentally find myself in the “Top” threads listing as well, as I have mistook it in the past for the General Forums as well. Like I said before, this is more something one can chalk up to a lack of situational awareness on my part, but I mention since it might help your goal here; and ensure that folks who post less frequently don’t return and accidentally do the same. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the clarification!

I’ve just changed the settings that govern the suggested topics below. We’ll see what happens.

6 Likes

Yes but there’s also threads out there with relevant information, I used one just a few hours ago " Vuhdo - changing health bar colors" from 8 years ago still is the best “guide” to make my raid frames look the way I want them to.

If I were to ask the question in a new thread I’d have to sit through the obligatory “just use healbot”, “just use stock raid frames”, “use grid”, “use xperl”, “what’s vuhdo?”, etc responses until eventually someone knew the answer

2 Likes

the only one i could find like this, was a cached version from the old forum.

if an addon is no longer updated, the best source of information is often available through the comments on the download page

Lol, unreal.

Yeah, they’re just going to keep moving the goalpost. First it was “that doesn’t happen.” Now with an actual example it’s “well, if it does happen… just go somewhere else, don’t use the forums.”

They’re not arguing in good faith, so I wouldn’t bother.

1 Like

I agree that necroing a thread that is still a valid talking point shouldn’t be a bad thing. Some people repost the same topic 10 times and that is worse in my opinion.

3 Likes

Yeah I have to resort to google cache now to get the same information

Vuhdo is still updated, pretty sure it’s always up to date but it’s not really a straightforward addon lol. It’s probably worse than Tradeskillmaster or Elvui

ikr?
heaven forbid people go directly to the source!
…but feel free to take your car to the dentist for an alignment. :crazy_face:

Here’s an example of why threads should be locked.
Happy birthday, thread!

someone necros, others start responding directly to the op, who hasn’t been active since early last year.

another example of pointless…
a two year old thread, for no reason other than to rage.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/darkmoon-faire-racing-quests/

one from 2012, pointlessly bumped.

Shouldn’t it be after the last reply, because threads can go on for quite a while now.

Yeah, I know. People should go to the source (the original thread). Glad we agree.

Americans always, always, always need to change up British and European versions of things to suit “our tastes.”

See: Any TV show, music, movie, book, style, slang, fashion … or forum auto-lock feature… that originated across the pond.

And, as is evidenced here, of course we need to make it bigger and “better” than our EU counterparts. They get 30, we get 60 or 90. 'Murica!

Yes, they surely can.

blizzard don’t create addons, nor can they be downloaded anywhere on this site.

I don’t think you know what “source” means.