4 hour DT?

Ok, so I’m not a programmer, or a coder. I don’t have extensive knowledge about video game development or anything like that. I’m just another run of the mill WoW player.

I am really curious how the game is down for 4 hours for maintenance. Are they changing things? Are they adding things? Isn’t this content over a decade old? Why would it need to go down for so long AGAIN? What is changing so much this week? I guess the real question I’m asking is why is there so much downtime on decade old content? Like I said, I’m just a WoW player, not a coder or programmer. I’m just trying to understand a little more.

1 Like

It’s probably proactive MySQL maintenance. Big database tables take a long time to repair.

2 Likes

I heard that’s how it was back in the day.
4 hour down times.
Could be worse.
It could be 8+ hours for maintenance.

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand decade plus old games on new software and hardware don’t always add up. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand bugs and things need fixes. Stop crying about 4 hours of downtime especially on Tuesday.

It has now been 24 minutes since servers were supposed to be back up, my addiction is growing, I DON"T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN MAKE IT! lolol

1 Like

Re-indexing the schemas of their database, prolly.

Potentially testing the activation flag for the raids in the live environment?

Load testing the raid instance network?

Idk.

Looks like some just came back online early.

It’s the authentic WOTLK experience, 4 hour+ downtime on a Tuesday. mmmmm Nostalgia

3 Likes

This is what the Vanilla WoW players wanted. So this is what they get.
Seems like a bad deal if you ask me.

1 Like

My bad man, I figured this would be a place I could pose a Fuggin question. Sorry to ruin your day. I’m not crying about 4hours, I am trying to learn something. Why do people like you still come here if answer a question on aa forum puts you in such a bad mood? Please tell me how this helps the forum post?

1 Like

doesn’t cease to amaze me how people communicate with one another on here lol. Sounds like they were curious and not crying about anything.

I swear people on this forum and in this game in general don’t know how to interact with other humans

6 Likes

This is the answer. You win today!

#Nochanges

1 Like

well i mean the way you worded your post doesn’t actually make it seem like you are genuinely curious. Also you did it on Tuesday, normal maintenance day, which typically floods the forums with crying about down time and demanding refunding of lost time. Also, it was early in the day.

1 Like

Heh.

Looks like the early end of the downtime was a mistake.

Inc server shutdown.

Tonight were gonna party like its 2005.

-Blizzard HQ

2 Likes

It would seem expeditious to do this when most people are off line.

Blizzard is a small indy company. They can’t afford to hire people to work outside of business hours.

2 Likes

I remember the game used to be down until after 9pm back in the day. They do very good with maintenance now.

It’s funny because sometimes people who have no idea about a topic, ask a question that seems so similar – there is something to it.

I say that because, while wow is built on some specific infra that requires them to do things they way they do…it’s not out of the scope of possibility to make more significant changes, that would require no shutdowns ever…You don’t have multi-hour weekly shutdowns for Call of Duty or other games.

But – the time and effort to make those changes would be deemed not worth it, because would that actually increase revenue more than the cost to do it…? No, not even close.

3 Likes

Yea, nice cover up. Everyone else got the point except you. Ironically, another 4 hour DT coming. So I ask again, what is wrong with this decade old content that it is down for longer than retail content? I don’t get it.