Should Selling/Buying AOTC or other Raid/PVP Achievements Be Cheating?

I’m sorry but its cheating according to whom? The only thing Blizzard does not allow is selling runs for real life currency. They could care less if you buy it with gold since no matter what you cannot convert gold back into USD or whatever currency your country uses.

but you can just buy unlimited gold with real money…so…

If the market allows such a transaction to take place and Blizzard is fine with it, I don’t really see a problem with it.

Yes, they approve of this:

I seem to recall Blizzard endorsing this towards the end of Legion by advertising carries for the mount in the BNET Launcher. Basically, you had to follow a Twitch stream, or something, and park yourself at the entrance, and then there was a lottery of some kind to get you in to the instance.

The fact(?) the Blizzard gave it a first class placement suggests the Blizzard is AOK-Okey Dokey with carries.

But I know they put the kibosh on anything dealing with real monies.

That was runs for free with Perky Pugs I believe for AotC Friendship Birb.

We wouldn’t advertise a group selling them for gold as that is considered an unsupported transaction. Selling/Buying runs for gold is very much an at your own risk kind of thing as we are unable to support these kinds of trades. There’s been quite a few posts on the topic and I don’t have anything new to really add to what has already been said in past blue posts.

TL;DR: Allowed, but not supported and for in game gold only.

13 Likes

I know these carries were not for gold.

The fundamental point being, however, is that if carries were considered “cheating” or in any other unsavory way (modulo carries-for-cash), you (and by “you”, I mean “you Blizzard”) would not be advocating and advertising them.

2 Likes

I am at the point I’d pay for someone to carry me through a + any Shrine of the Storm. It’s literally at 11 tries and 11 fails.

As for achievements, that makes no sense. I’d rather be proud of doing something that was difficult, lucky, or part of during a special event.

What next? Loot boxes of achievements?

1 Like

Well he achieved farming enough gold to pay for AOTC so guess he achieved something. Lol

3 Likes

If you are paying with gold Blizzard doesn’t care.

It’s not really getting it legitimately if you get it because you were just carried… but…

if I think about it, should it be ok to carry people if it’s done for free?

And if that’s ok, then why isn’t it ok to carry someone for gold?

Wow! What an original topic that has never been brought up or answered on these forums before.

Bravo OP!

I am wondering if blizzard is paying attention as much as they use to All kinds of stuff being sold on eBay from runs to accounts.

Most sales going on right now aren’t AOTC sales. They are gear sales.

My guild does sales once a week to fund mythic progression. We sell 1 slot for each armor type and then trade all gear to our carries. With 20 mains they all basically get 5-6 pieces of loot, and they’ll probably make their gold straight back when we got to AH to buy mats for mythic because most people buying runs have the gold from playing the AH.

2 Likes

People have been paying for various runs with gold from day 1 of this game. It’s most common to see it with raids now but people used to do it with every single dungeon. Blizz doesn’t particularly care as long as real money isn’t exchanged. Tokens are irrelevant since they can’t be traded, only sold on AH so there is no way for the seller to make a real world profit via Blizz balance. All they do is facilitate the buyer to be able to afford the run so yes I guess technically the buyer could pay rl money but it isnt exchanged between the players, and Blizz gets that $20 so why should they care.

If it’s not ‘supported’ by the company them why would you continue to allow them? Instead of outright calling for the termination of the accounts involved in such a transaction? Is it because there’s to many players doing it? Or is it because you get some profit outta it because a good number of those groups use WoW tokens? :thinking:

1 Like

I think by unsupported he means, if you get “taken advantage of” or feel you got the wrong end of the stick, Blizzard will not interfere and you are on your own.

6 Likes

That is exactly what it means in this case. They don’t care if you do it but if you get burned, they won’t help you.

2 Likes

On my server group we have a guild constantly advertising that sells for real life money. I’ve reported them multiple times but nothing happens, they’re constantly spamming. They’ve made multiple different spammer toons that i ignore but there is another one a couple days later.

A related issue I’ve thought about - where do “subscriber only” carries fall in terms of Blizzard’s stance on “real world buying.” If a streamer is “giving away” a service to users only if they have paid them money, is that not a real money trade?

1 Like