30 Days Since Aff Changes

I know everyone wants changes to their spec on beta, but it’s now been over a month since the last(and really only) update for affliction… The 1st wave of changes was a great start, but we’ve seen nothing since, and the spec is barely playable in it’s current state due to rampant bugs throughout the tree.

Kinda feels like aff has been lost in the shuffle, and hopefully the devs don’t consider it ready for release :confused:

7 Likes

Im glad im not the only one who feels like this. I just went looking at the new updates and silence On the blue post . But after checking the datamine We got some name changes and a revert to the DSS nerf and what appears to be a 14 value aura buff? Basically nothing

1 Like

This is how I was feeling before they finally added warlocks to the alpha. I’d like to hope its indicative of internal testing of ideas, but its hard not to have doubts that we’re going to slip through the cracks and have to deal with some nonsense for another xpac for the sake of people not getting whiplash due to constant class changes or whatever.

I will say that overall the DF development cycle has been orders of magnitude better in engaging the community in the stages of the process where they actually will make changes. It’s just sad that locks were at the back of the line for it.

2 Likes

I dont think you guys understand when they say 1 person does mutliple classes. 1 person literally does multiple classes. The only time you should accept defeat is when no classes are getting much updates which means they are content with the builds.

When they originally responded to feedback in early August i think, they made the most changes to Affliction and a few minor ones to Demo and Destro. They said they were generally happy with the feedback from Demo and Destro and those changes to Affliction likely puts them in the same boat. I don’t expect significant changes at this point besides tuning and some nodes being swapped around, but I could be surprised.

This latest post with them going through and making name changes to certain node names further solidifies the fact that they are generally ok with how those node interactions are applied and intend to keep them in place.

But iteration rarely means getting everything right on the 1st try, and in terms of the affliction tree, there remain a number of concerns/pain points.

If iteration means 1 round of changes and calling it done, that’s pretty disappointing considering this was supposed to be the focus throughout the DF testing process

1 Like

I agree and their second iteration was what i was referring to.

What do you want changed? On ptr all specs for lock feel solid.

Id prefer better capstones in the class tree, specifically all of them.

2 Likes

Not sure if I agree w/ this at all…overall, I would say aff ST still feels really “clunky”, even if the damage profile has improved.

More specifically, Soul Tap is a spammable on demand shard generator that clearly isn’t intended as it currently functions. On the other side of the power spectrum, Soul Swap costs a shard to ultimately save 1 GCD which makes no sense to use in any scenario. They also removed the SL tier set bonus that just about everyone loved(2 piece), and instead left the one that’s far less useful(4 piece)

3 Likes

You want Soultap spammable. You wont use it much in single target much. But AOE packs alot, once Vile Taint is up plus 2 Seeds to ramp agony up you have 1 or 2 shards left for MR. This is where Soultap comes in.

I don’t have beta, but really glad to see people still posting feedback for aff in the warlock thread. Unfortunately, the past 2 expansions have demonstrated minimal class changes outside of expansions(they’ve always given the “class design is never done” line so this time is no different), but still good to see that people still care enough to try and provide feedback

warlock has seen more class changes in the past 3 expansions than any other class in the game what are you even talking about

Oh and there’s a very very good reason for that - warlock design(affliction in particular) has been an absolute dumpster fire. That’s why they’ve struggled with rework after rework, and why the remaining parts of the spec continue to work so awkwardly with each other.

Trust me - I’d much rather have a stable fun to play spec w/ minimal changes than what we’ve had BfA and beyond

3 Likes