30 Day Suspension for.... Using a VPN?

Nah, not laughing :sunglasses:

I used to do this kind of thing when it was literally the only way to play multiplayer. 'Cause the best access any of us had to the ASCII-based / unix shell account “internet” was 14.4, and doing it that way (dialing direct into your friends computer - no servers) was two players max.

Doom II and Quake, baby!

1 Like

Well just got back with Blizzards reply.
My 30 days is being upheld with very little information or reasoning.
I’m done with this shot support and game.
Enjoy.

They do that to keep people from getting the info they want to cheat the system.

So… someone ‘in another country’ hacked your account, changed the password, played around with it for an hour, then changed the password back? And apparently left the account at least intact enough so that you didn’t notice anything. You recognize how suspicious that sounds, but do you also understand how implausible that scenario is? Especially since you have an authenticator that would make it virtually impossible to accomplish without your help?

That would be akin to some stranger picking the lock to your house, watching TV for a while, without so much as helping themselves to the beer in the fridge, then locking back up when they left.

I’m not at all surprised. I think you probably aren’t, either.

You as well. Good luck wherever your gaming takes you.

5 Likes

If my security was an issue, why wasn’t Blizzard there when the issue occurred? Instead waiting to compile everyone in a mass ban before a major patch, knowing damn well the ticket log would be flooded by then.
Once someone is already banned why not give up full information to that person once they prove identity?
Who would continue to pay for this crap?
Meanwhile it looks like GMs are too busy on another massive forum RPing and getting paid to enjoy themselves when tickets are running 4 days now? Reassign towards the workload.

The security of your account is your responsibility, not Blizzard’s. I would recommend you shore it up before you walk away. I’d hate for you to come back at some point only to find it had been compromised again.

So they could tweak their methods to avoid detection the next time? I think it’s fairly obvious why they wouldn’t give specific details of what happened or how it was detected.

3 Likes

Simply due to NOT giving the cheaters the information they might need to get around what caught them in the first place.

1 Like

Thats alright, I’ve already put in another ticket to get all my info removed and characters deleted. Company has gone from great to terrible.

You can’t do that via ticket. You’ll need to send an email to privacy@blizzard.com and ask them to remove all personally-identifiable information from your account.

Be advised, it is absolutely irreversible; once done, it cannot be undone.

2 Likes

Thats the plan.

I’d prefer not to send out emails kinda like Blizzard doesn’t give out information on someones own account.
Isn’t this what GMs are for?
What are GMs for now?

No, that isn’t what GMs are for. That is a completely different department that deals with removing all personal information…and that department can ONLY be reached via email.

1 Like

Well, then good news! Unless you send that email, your account won’t be nuked, and you’ll be able to come back in six months when you change your mind. We’ll see you then! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Accounts only banned for 30 days, thanks for reading.
However what are GMs used for now?

So you’ll be back in 30 days? Well, whatever. We’ll see you when we see you. Have fun!

1 Like

Why do they let randoms post on the customer service forums.
Where are the actual Customer Service representatives?

What are you talking about? The GMs work out of the Austin office on tickets. At home right now, but I don’t know why you think they are “RPing” on a forum. You don’t even know who the GMs are! They don’t post on the WoW forums.

As has been explained, there is no evidence unauthorized access occurred to your account. You have an Auth on it and that can’t be bypassed without them cloning the device.

Actual hackers destroy your account and sell it off.

Yes you can now. It does require ID of course to prove the person is the account holder.

This post on what GMs handle and how to reach them might be helpful
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/spotlight-on-game-master-help/11354

They are reached via ticket.

The forums are a place for players to interact. This one serves as an Information Desk where players can get information on how to use the Support system, find Support articles, get info on policies and procedures, get info on how various services work, etc.

There are Forum Support Agents (who are not CS or GMs) who oversee it during work hours. They ensure that the info players provide is accurate and correct it if needed.

5 Likes

The good news is this is NOT the Customer SERVICE Forum. It is the Customer SUPPORT Forum and there is a sticky that explains that this forum is for players to assist other players. That means giving you directions on where to post, or send email in your case, with moderation by the Support Forum Agents.

I think it is about time to close this one but let me comment on a few things here.

The security of the account is the users responsibility, Notsixty. We have systems in place to help, such as when we detect a change in access behavior the system may challenge whomever is logging on to help verify it is the registered user.

Otherwise, we aren’t able to actively monitor accounts for possible compromise.

If you are asking in this instance why didn’t we react immediately when we detected possible account sharing and instead seemed to wait to apply the action en masse?

Primarily because detection of the activity isn’t easy, it requires a bit more than just looking at a switch of an IP. As folks have noted people use VPN’s all the time so their IP location can vary so our Hacks teams look at more than what is on the surface to help verify this type of account sharing, which takes time.

The biggest challenge with dealing with botting, exploitation and other violations of our policies is that there are people out there that go to great lengths to remain undetected. If they are caught they try to figure out exactly what it was we found that revealed them so that they can mask that from us for the future. We try to keep our practices as secure as we can so that they remain viable in blocking, breaking or detecting the behavior as long as possible.

I’m not entirely certain what you are talking about. Game Masters don’t post on the forums. Our staff is working tirelessly to get to everyone as quickly as possible and get those queue times down.

We let players post on the forums because that is what these forums are for, Notsixty, including the Customer Support forums.

Our forums are for players to discuss the game and aspects of it with each other. This specific one is on Customer Support topics and accounts in good standing are able to post here and in the Community Forums (if they are active), as long as they otherwise abide by our Code of Conduct. A lot of folks who post in this forum like helping people when they can.

It is important to point out that this is by no means of contacting support. While Support Forum Agents like myself try to answer what we can, we may not reply to everything, nor is there an expectation of us to do so.

We would be unable to grant your request to delete your characters through the appeal ticket you put in, Notsixty. If you want to delete your account you can use check out the following article.

I warn you, the actions are permanent. If the account is deleted it will not be recoverable under any circumstance.

Good luck to you, Notsixty.

8 Likes