20man vs 40man

40 man was outdated in 2007.

5 Likes

we choose to recruit 40 people for raids not because it is easy, but because it is hard :expressionless:

1 Like

An advantage would be that the 4 rogues we have can split up into 4 different groups- enhance, feral, fury, trueshot aura, rogue for max grp buffs.

People want to parse and get the “good grp” and 40 mans definitely solves this issue

1 Like

40 mans will never be a thing in sod.

1 Like

It already is with MC 20m having been confirmed.

I know a ton of people that would quit if they went back to 10 mans.

Stop thinking your little circle of friends speaks for everyone, you are the minority.

1 Like

Perhaps we need to multiply them for 800 man raids.

1 Like

Now we are talking. Lord Kazzak is doomed!!!

1 Like

who said my guild had roster problem for 40man ? we are already maintaining 2 20man raids in order to be able to combain them if that is what we need to do, my guild will do just fine, I am just curious why some enjoy it, other then leeches of course.

omg :man_facepalming: i meant to say 40 man. LOOOOOOL

Haha no worries.

Not advocating for them, i dont actually care that much either way, but 40 man raids leaves you more room to bring more specs and classes because you need more variety for buffs anyways. In SoD going from 10 man to 20 man let more hunters in our raid, and that meant i didn’t have to pick aspect of the lion for the group anymore. If another hunter was providing trueshot aura i might even be able to go survival, just like in classic.

You could make some tweaks to hybrid or support classes so they bring group and/or raid wide buffs so they are always welcome in raids even without doing as much damage as pure dps classes. With 40 slots you will have a lot of room for more variety rather than feeling you are letting the group/raid down for not picking aspect of the lion or trueshot aura. Say in classic leader of the pack gave 2% crit for the entire raid, and stacked up to 3 times, raids would probably be willing to take 3 ferals just for their buffs even if their dps wasn’t great, and those ferals would still bring innervate/battle rez too. From a game design standpoint 40 man raids make class and spec balance easier in my opinion. The fact it wasn’t as balanced in era as in retail now is irrelevant because they were still figuring out the game back then and raiding wasn’t the focal point of the game back then like it is now.

id bet the house that if blizzard put out a survey asking “do you want 40mans in SoD? check yes or no” there would be a lot more with the “no” box checked.

2 Likes

congratulations? What is your point exactly, other than letting everyone know you “take part in all mechanics that my class can do”? I’m not spouting nonsense according to you… “No matter what 90% of the raid always wants to do nothing” I guess you enjoy carrying 36 other people by your metric.

epicness. the large scale of the raid team packs that much more of a punch. massive battles are epic.

imagine how trivial 10man C’thun would be. or 4H…o wait we saw that in wotlk…

1 Like

There is no advantage. 20 man is a good maximum to where you can’t really carry more than 2 giga bads in the raid, and it really shows who is coming prepared and who is just there for free gear with no effort.

40 man just allows for people to show up, stand in fire to die, go afk, come back and collect free loot that you did nothing to earn. Multiple people can literally parse a 1 in every 40 man raid and you can still get carried every week. Don’t want to risk getting that RNG, raid wiping mechanic? Just die early.

The other major issue with 40 mans, is with guilds wanting to raid-stack with FotM giga classes for easier clears. You thought Gnomer was bad? LMAO, just wait for people to fill 40 mans.

Look, the game is old and so are most of us now. Most of us don’t have the time, nor the energy to try and organize and lead a 40 man raid anymore. The only people who aren’t going to care about this, are people who have copius amounts of free time and a massive guild that can consistently fill 40 man raids, with extra people that sit standby in case someone doesn’t make it.

If anything, they should just make them flex. If you want that old classic feel, then go ahead and run 40 people and let the majority of the others enjoy their smaller raids. Same loot, different feel.

2 Likes

40mans require half as many leaders, so you’re in luck!

40mans raids is exactly what sod needs if they want to put the nail in the coffin. I could not beleive how many guilds fell apart with phase 3 release or had to merge and are still filling with pugs to meet 20man requirements, are not even clearing sunken temple. Carrying people seems alot harder with this phase and phase 4 should yes be even more challenging, but the redundancy of stacking twice as many of the same exact classes just to fill 20 more spots is overkill.

2 Likes

the loud minority is here to screech about how 40 mans will kill wow

2 Likes

Unless it’s a technical issue, I don’t get why they wouldn’t just do flexible raid sizes?

Something like designing for a min of 10m and up to max of 40m; for every 5 or 6 additional players beyond the 10, one more piece of loot drops and mechanics targeting a number of players increases that number by 1 (for example, Electrocutioner would hit 4 people instead of 3 if you had 15 / 16 players). Boss hp would just scale linearly per player added, up to the max amount designed for 40m.