Major Arena Change... snuck in

Player versus Player

• Arena
    • Players now must always cast escape abilities before leaving combat (e.g. Vanish and Shadowmeld).

How in the world is this listed under bug fixes? As if arenas since TBC should never have allowed people to get out of combat?? This is a major change and should be listed at the top of PvP changes with developer reasoning. This is a major deal and completely changes the meta of many comps in 2v2 and 3v3.

Please can we get a post discussing this change? This is quite clearly being snuck in as a bug fix rofl.

2 Likes

Source?

We’re updating this note. It will now read:

• Fixed a bug that could cause players who were actively participating in PvP combat to unintentionally drop combat.

10 Likes

What does that mean “unintentional”?

You’re not changing it so that people who are purposely stepping away from combat in hopes of getting ooc to eat/drink/res is being removed, right?

I’m guessing it was the bug that could allow rogues to restealth and sap in the middle of combat without vanishing first.

Thank you for clarifying this Kaivax, it had me worried for a moment when I read it in the notes!

4 Likes

Rogue/Druid combat has been super buggy all expansion. There’s supposed to be a buffer in terms of how much time after your last “combat” event and when you drop combat, and in a lot of documented cases, that just wasn’t happening. Combat was dropping extremely prematurely.

Yeah that’s fine. Just wanted clarification.

Thank you for the clarification. This is vastly different and obviously much needed.

I used shadow meld because I was five miles away from anything I had been fighting and kept getting that

You Are Still In Combat message.

Shadowmeld and vanish always took you out of combat on purpose.

Without that might as well remove both.

Haha, good to know I’m not the only one who was confused by the wording.

2 Likes

If im reading this correctly, let me clarify for those of you who are confused. There was a bug that people refereed to as the “Sap Bug”. Essentially it worked as such: If ANYONE in the arena were to drop combat, EVERYONE in the arena dropped combat for a split second. Rogues and druids could exploit this by repeatedly pressing their stealth/sap macro or stealth/rake stun macro when someone else was legitimately dropping combat and could sap anyone or stun anyone in the arena. If they didn’t want to sap anyone, then they could instead get a free stealth and do whatever they wanted to out of that. I’m assuming (though not entirely sure) that this is fixing that issue. If im wrong about this let me know!

1 Like

Queue’ing for multiple groups from the finder and clicking join when fighting. then returning. Other threads have touched on it.

Now will this in turn fix any bugs which prevent players who SHOULD drop combat from doing so? For example a rogue sitting behind a pillar for upwards of 10 seconda with no combat actions taken and not dropping combat, or a healer with no such abilities nor partners with any such abilities that would keep the healer in combat for the duration of a full kidney into full blind even into half blind?

1 Like

There was a bug with it, like a rogue chasing a mage that casts invis, even if the Rogue just auto attacked someone half a second earlier, would be able to stealth again (drop out of combat) immediately.

Saw it happen on a vid somewhere, where a streamer was going wtf. The Rogue restealthed in active combat 3 times that match from other players using combat dropping abilities.

Jesus… you “professionals” can’t even put a sentence together properly without having to amend it.

Fail at BFA balance, fail and English

If you’re going to tell someone they’ve failed at English you should probably be more careful.

2 Likes