2024 Roadmap

I’ve been asked to inquire about the release date of the next Roadmap for World of Warcraft releases / content.

I would assume the logistics of when that release will happen has already been established internally.

Happy Holidays folks.

4 Likes

I believe they stated in one of the blizzcon interviews it isn’t finalized yet and should be coming in early 2024.

An article called “A Look Ahead from the World of Warcraft Team” is coming tomorrow so Crosses Fingers

1 Like

Let’s go!

Open question for all— What do you think about this?

15 Likes

Love it! And love to see that we’re getting one for Classic as well! So many things to be excited about, even in the near future!

3 Likes

Very excited to finally see trolls and draenei get their heritage quests! It’s been great that the team’s stuck to delivering these throughout Dragonflight, so it’ll just be Pandaren left after them. Or, who knows, maybe that is related to whatever that Timerunning: Pandamonium thing is? :eyes:

I’m particularly curious about whether the guild updates mentioned will go beyond just the cross-realm update. Also very interested in seeing what the 20th anniversary event will be – it’s a huge occasion, so I’m sure you’ve got something big in store!

Overall, it’s great to see a roadmap that rich. Bonus points for :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

Overall, Looking forward to another great year. Can’t wait for all the updates and The War Within. Can’t wait to get my hands on the next expansion and help out by finding bugs, or problems, and providing feedback. Also interested in this Timerunning event and what the Harbinger quests entail/detail out. Also am wondering what the pre-patch event is going to be… Oh man so many things.

Very Curious as to why 10.2.6 has a skull and crossbones on it with its banner being singed, torn, and has holes throughout. It’s also draped over the bar and not under it.

My initial reaction was “Well, maybe they had to forgo 10.2.6 due to some unforeseen thing happening with The War Within.” and this was your way of publicly acknowledging that you wanted to do a 10.2.6 but can’t.

But it also is very open ended. Could this be a “secret but not secret” patch? Is this Retail’s version of Classic Hardcore? wonder how that’ll work

Could have maybe added a little more details? Maybe at least the patch’s title so it doesn’t have that first perception of “Welp, its gone”?

4 Likes

No new race/class combos on the docket.

RIP

Interested to see how exactly the Fated season is organized this go around. Still would much much much much much much much much rather have a real new raid and big story beat to the expansion. This feels shallow like DF is not complete still at this point, but I guess the small story updates will try to soothe that. Fated killed guilds and feels barely better than a content drought. Better than nothing, but way worse than a new raid.

3 Likes

Overall, excited about the content, but I got general big concerns regarding the timing of Season 4 and esp. the DF Raids Revisited Part. I’m speaking out of the view of someone that his guild finishes usually around the world 500-600 Mark with CE.

“Predicted Start” of the Season 4 feels too rushed

If we assume it being around March 20th (begin of spring season) this will be a very short Season 3 esp. with currently only 21 guilds being 9/9 Mythic. I can only advise here to move the Season 4 to the same timing as 10.2.7 is going to drop, which I assume may be late spring (May). With holidays coming up and raiders taking time off, you will likely only have 3 months to get to CE from now.

So there is only one option which ensures enough guilds get to CE (which is usually around the 1000 Guild Milestone) with the current schedule (Roadmap) in mind, and that is with heavy nerfs to the content as we experienced it with Sepulcher in SL S4. This down values not only the achievement of experiencing the content, it also often feels as a freebie (for our guild it was the case in sepulcher as we were very close to kill Anduin and Rygelon before the big nerfs hit - that felt very demoralizing for the whole raid team as you effectively wasted raid nights due to that (f.e. we had 500 pulls on Anduin, and he was at 2% - the next day the fight felt like a flyweight)).

It would be rather great to have a clear chance on the content, then being counted out due to rushing the next season and patch. There is also one more problem I have with raiding on a mythic level and Season 4.

Revisiting old DF Raids

Without knowing what is exactly coming, I can only say: Generally speaking, out of the view of a multi CE Guild Perspective, this is a death sentence for most Mythic Guilds on all levels. Fated Season in SL S4 (also referred as skip-season) had a drastic negative impact on raid teams as many players dropped out of raiding due to not enjoying re-progressing old raids that they played the last 1,5 years. Overall, it was a neat little idea the first time around that surely benefited the gap between SL and DF for a more casual audience, but didn’t spark that joy to ppl that love having a new challenge. So a more welcoming change would be here to re-introduce old raids (f.e. Siege of Orgrimmar, Nighthold, Emerald Nightmare (wouldn’t it be fitting ?!) than replaying content we already know. Those Raids all had LFR - Mythic Raid Difficult and only would need a tuning to the current level. As you obviously will need to tune the DF Raids to new ilvl thresholds, this would be exactly the same task to do but would be less boring for the players.

6 Likes

Guild Updates

This brought a huge smile to my face. For many years (since Legion) the guild system has been in need of updates. From simple updates like more achievements and rewards to improving member management for guild leaders.

Heritage Armor for Pandaren

It won’t be in 2024 that my race will receive its new armor. :disappointed_relieved:

20th Anniversary Event

This event needs to be the biggest in history.

Follower Dungeons

I would really like this system to work for all dungeons in the game and not just for a certain expansion. It would be a dream to be able to do any dungeon with followers.

5 Likes

I’m just going to assume the 20th Anniversary will include playable Ogres and Forest Trolls since those are the only old school races left from Warcraft 2 that aren’t playable for some strange reason. Kinda stinks that the Horde is missing two and the Alliance is missing zero. (Void Elves are High Elves)

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I agree with that Ogres and Forest Trolls would be epic but Void Elves are not in any way shape or form High Elves. Might as well remove Zandalari and ignore the Forest Trolls request with that logic.

7 Likes

I’m thrilled to see this released again for 2024. I think these roadmaps are a great addition to the communication from the development team.

I’m personally very excited for the future of WoW and what it holds, and seeing the plan for the next ~12 months is a great way to look forward to it.

Please keep this level of communication and continue to release these roadmaps!

8 Likes

Absolutely love the roadmaps. For me, it adds extra hype and also a “light at the end of the tunnel” for new content I’m looking forward to. Also helps me plan a little better. Would love to continue to see roadmaps like this continuing to be released.

5 Likes

Cataclysm Classic was announced to launch on or before August 31, 2024. Can the release be on August 31 and not much earlier? I know lots of players who have already cleared ICC but there are those who have not and those still gearing alts.

Thank you for the response.

With the continuation of so many revisions to philosophy regarding players desires versus company visions and levels of restrictions that wont be budged.

The quality of life changes that are occuring across the board have so many individuals, groups, communities considering the future of “impossible” content.
Such as Legendary cloak questlines, ability to access Ordos, return of events that could be a precursor to Challenge mode sets removed, phoenix mounts, the list expands in ways that many thought would never happen.

I have had many discussions where the other party has resigned the conversation to end before it begins. Why bother talking about possibilities when Blizzard doesnt care, listen, change.

Well. Game on folks.

1 Like

I never quite understood why they removed quests or events (such as the legendary cloak questline or the Wrathgate Event) within expansions. Especially when said questlines and events offer a lot of story behind them.

Here’s to hoping one day, Soon™, we’ll see them again within the game and not just in the archives of Youtube or waiting for the “Classic” version of the game to re-release.

8 Likes

A good portion of all time I am of the mindset as a gamer that if you werent present, and able to complete the criteria for whatever item or achievement, feat of strength or anything valued as prestigious, you simply dont deserve it.

What I cant find any good reason to prevent are Lore related content. Quests. Story. Npc character progression that was relevant at one point. Much of it can be enjoyable and not just another grind.

I would always rather players earn what they want.

That mindset rather sucks for a new player, especially to a game as old as this one. Whats so prestigious about the Cloak from Mists of Pandaria now? What was so prestigious about completing a questline in MoP that it was forcibly removed from the game come WoD 9 years ago? Or What was so prestigious about doing the Wrathgate event that warranted its removal come Cataclysm 13 years ago? These kind of “FOMO” tactics “work” in a game like CoD, where theres a new CoD every 2 years.

To put it in perspective, There are most likely players who were born when Wrath of the Lich King launched in 2008. They are now 15. Which means they never experienced that expansion in its “live time”, Cataclysm (launched in 2010) was most likely never experienced in it’s “live time”, Mists of pandaria (launched in 2012) was most likely never experienced in its “live time”, and Warlords of Draenor (launched in 2014) was most likely never experienced in its “Live time” by this player who was born in 2008. Legion (launched in 2016) has a chance since this player would be 8 years old by this point.

Having the new players be able to get all items within the game does nothing to the player who already had them. Absolutely nothing. Again, Nothing is being taken away from you except for a perception of “exclusivity” and everything is being “given” to the new player. Heck, you’ll still have the achievements and the prestige of knowing that you got it when it was current content.

Edit: I would argue that even though the content is sometimes Trivialized by time, that the player engaging in that content is still earning what they’re getting. It might be easier, way easier, than when it was current, they might have to spend more or less gold to get the resources, but at the end of the day they, as the player, are inputting time, resources, and gold into getting quests done and getting items. Why wouldn’t they earn it?

That’s like saying if I dug a hole with a shovel, and someone dug that same hole with a tractor that they didn’t earn that hole they just dug. Especially when there’s the relevance of time introduced here. My shovel, is their tractor.

9 Likes

I don’t think an argument to say a player shouldn’t be able to experience certain content in the game, is relevant. Nearly all the time, I would agree they should. Having access to finely tuned rewards versus quests / story are worlds apart.

Nearly all the content in this massive game is accessable. The very specific rewards that were available during those time periods are indicative of what a player did at those time frames. What trials they went through.
There is pride in gaming. Having knowledge you completed content that was difficult to a degree that most people on the planet did not, is important to recognize.

How many of those subtle accomplishments is it okay to override by allowing everyone to have the triggers for little or no effort.
Do a few quests, buy from a vendor, get lists of ensembles.

As an example, how would the community react if a movement started to push for current raid tier, end boss cutting edge mounts to be given for free from a vendor after enough time goes by?
To me, thats comparable in this conversation. Its something that wouldnt happen, and for good reason.

They arent the same thing. It can be close in some of our minds.