2022 CPU Optimization for WoW

Looking for some software/hardware engineering feedback about optimizing a rig for WoW gaming for the next 3-5 years. Specifically, are there any WoW folks with a maxed engineering profession that can explain the stat priority, rotation & max game utilization stats for cpus for the following factors; single thread core max frequency, all core max frequency, cache utilization, and multi-core utilization?

With the realization that the 13th intel CPUs and next gen AMD CPUs around the corner, how should an ardent WoW fanboy be evaluating these CPUs for max WoW performance over the NEXT 3 expansions!!!

Discuss….

P.S. And don’t worry, once we’ve exhausted this thread; I wanna talk next gen GPU’s.

P.S.S. Please minimize the, “what about the SSD”, etc. All hardware is/will be worthy of focus, but let’s jam on the CPU here and go from there!

i’m running wow on a ryzen 2700 non x with 16 GB 3200 ram and a radeon 6600 xt. running graphic setting 10 and max raytracing. only fxaa anti aliasing. i swear i’m getting high 40s to low 50s in raids and constant 60 in open world with vsync enabled

imho current multicore processor runs wow just fine. you can open up task manager and set the wow.exe priority to high if needed, but tbh it’s not needed

I use a Ryzen 5900x with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler, 64GB RAM 4000Mhz CL18, a Geforce 3080TI, all on the Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi M/B. With my graphic setting at 10 for open word, RT off, V-Sync off, and any BIOS CPU OCs set to auto for XMP/DOCP, I average over 100FPS in most places.

I came across this article written two years ago that talks about WoW’s scaling with multi-core CPUs; all tests were done during BFA and will greatly help you get a general sense:

With all things considered, as far as WoW and CPUs go (quoted from the article):

Single core frequency and efficiency (IPC) is the king, while stronger GPU comes into play only if you want better looks after you provide the CPU power to achieve good FPS.

So to achieve max WoW performance, evaluate CPUs for their single-core performance. Intel has always been the go-to CPU by gamers for it. AMD had their brief bragging rights with the Ryzen 5000-series until Intel’s 12-gen performance inched ahead; it’ll be a back-and-forth fight between them. I’m uncertain who has better OCing headroom to maintain stable single-performance OC clocks.

Multi-core is fine for offloading, with a 6-core being the recommended minimum according to the article.

2 Likes