20 years of WoW. Still no ninja looting deterrence?

Idk if this was fixed in modern WoW as I’ve hardly played the retail version. Wotlk isn’t any better though since it’s not really wotlk classic, instead it’s a bad version of it.
If your goal was to get me to post this, here it is.
(Yes, the rogue stole two caster item roles in a gamma dungeon again and the group didn’t want to kick the ninja, which is unheard of)
I’m not surprised Blizzard promotes theft.

4 Likes

Its not ninja looting when its open rolls. Its a bot or a player just wanting items to sell. I believe u can still change the loot threshold in RDF to stop this but that would change allow the group leader to be able to ninja loot.

1 Like

One of the problems with RDF. However, the benefits outweighed the drawbacks imo

Hence personal loot

1 Like

This was fixed in OG Wrath. RDF enforced Need before Greed as the loot option, so rogues couldnt need on spell power gear and mages couldnt need on AP gear. There were some pieces here and there that some classes could Need on but didnt really need, but it covered like 80% of the obvious cases.

Not sure why Classic RDF doesn’t default to Need before Greed.

It’s disappointing, but I hardly call if theft. As always, if you want to handle loot in a fair way instead of relying on the community that wow has been for the last 15 years, you can form your own groups to let loot be in more control.

3 Likes

IIRC, loot roles weren’t enforced until MoP.

Blue post discussing Random Dungeon Finder in 2009, long before MOP.
https://www.bluetracker.gg/wow/topic/eu-en/11824414332-the-dungeon-finder-what-to-know/

Post 5

Need Before Greed

Need Before Greed will be the default and unalterable looting system for all groups formed through the Dungeon Finder (excluding premade groups of five). This system has been revamped and will now restrict “Need” rolls based on several factors:

• The player’s class must be able to equip the item, either at the time of the roll or at a later level. For example: A level 38 shaman would able to roll “Need” on a level 42 mail item; however, he or she would not be able to roll “Need” on a plate item.

• The armor proficiency of the player’s class must not be higher than the item being rolled on. If it is, the player will unable to roll “Need.” For example: A level 75 warrior would unable to roll “Need” on certain mail items. (This restriction will only come into play for items with an iLevel above 70.)

• If a player’s class is pure melee, he or she will be unable to roll “Need” on spell power items. Pure melee classes include rogues and warriors. Druids, paladins, death knights, and shaman may still roll “Need” on spell power items, provided that the above two conditions are met.

WoW 3.3 Patch notes
https://www.wowhead.com/patchnotes=3.3.0

User Interface > Dungeon Finder

The Need Before Greed loot system will be the unalterable default looting system for pick-up groups in the Dungeon Finder and has been updated.

• Need Before Greed will now recognize gear appropriate for a class in three ways: the class must be able to equip the item, pure melee will be unable to roll on spell power items, and classes are limited to their dominant armor type (ex. paladins for plate). All items will still be available via Greed rolls as well as the new Disenchant option should no member be able to use the item.

• Players will be able to roll on items with a required minimum level higher than a player’s current level.

^^^^^^^
Read the BOLD.
For what ever reason, blizzard deviated from this during Wotlk classic. I hope they bring it back in Cata classic.

Edited to add:
I know this doesn’t stop ninja looting in RDF - But it certainly cuts down on it.

3 Likes

You don’t seem to know what ninja means. Let me spell it out for you. Ninja = group owner using master loot to give items to themselves, not allowing anyone else to have a chance at it. Hitting “need” or “greed” in a dungeon is not ninja looting.

If your goal was to get me to post this, here it is.
:axe:

3 Likes

The term has been used for decades and is not limited to your narrow definition.

Definition
The term seems to have a few different meanings depending on whom you ask, including:

• A player who, when in a group, rolls “Need” on everything regardless of if he or she can use it.
  • A player who, when in a group, rolls “Need” on BoE recipes for a character they are not currently playing.
  • A player who rolls on a BoP item that everyone else has passed on or a player who loots a corpse without permission after everyone has passed on a BoP item. Generally, groups decide how to best make use of the item that no one can use, sometimes DPS classes will back out of +healing/+spell damage (as opposed to just +spell damage) even if it is an upgrade and will ask for the item if no one else needs it. Additionally, if no one needs it and no one reconsidered, it often goes to a enchanter, who disenchants it, and then the group rolls for the materials acquired from the disenchanted item. Sometimes players loot items for more sentimental reasons (like “town clothes” in RP servers) and will normally pass on it unless no one else needs it. If there are no enchanters in the group and no one changes their mind, generally the group will roll for its NPC value.
  • A player who loots a chest or harvests a resource while another player is fighting the mobs which were defending it, possibly using stealth or a dash ability to aid in this.
  • A party or raid leader who changes the looting system to “Master Loot” near the end of a boss kill and steals the loot off of a corpse without letting other players roll for the items. Especially one who sets up a group just for the first or second boss, and then hearthstones without speaking or claiming he has to sleep or work, meanwhile setting up another group to loot it again, perhaps prominent of Gold Farmers.
2 Likes

I remember back in the day one solution was to make the RL/ML state in chat a loot contract of all the rules and contingencies. If they did not abide by these rules you were able put in a ticket and the GM could assign the loot according to the loot rules that were established in the chat.

master looter.

Sounds more like someone crying over loot so much no group would ever give them gear willingly

that system came out in Cata not WOLK, and it limited the rogue to only leather gear with agility on it or the caster to only cloth gear, and if you needed a BOE it became bound to you.

1 Like

Not going to lie, when I am carrying the dungeon, I’ll need on vendor loot.

they limited it to what you could equip, not if it was good for you, i was there i remember it and warriors could still need on cloth, just the clothy couldn’t need on plate, it wasn’t nearly as refined as you think it was, that came with cata

I don’t know if you are trying to convince me or yourself. Do I trust the patch notes from 2009 or do I trust the 15 year old memory of a game system compared to a 14 year old memory of the same game system?

https://youtu.be/16n7-khicYk?si=h5IR_O5oK7-55DI6&t=504 Timestamp 8:24, Death Knight cannot need on Spell Power sword.

https://youtu.be/F5LD_BJ0Cvs?si=zi0l7zsMM-RPTmKt&t=516 Timestamp 8:36, Death Knight cannot need on Chestguard of Broken Branches (Spellpower Leather) or Blighted Leather Footpads (Leather Agi boots).

1 Like

Themselves. They jump into every thread spewing complete nonsense. They are also under the impression that cataclysm didn’t introduce new level 1-85 BOA items from the guild vendor. Went and told a bunch of other people that nah i was there i know.

1 Like

Personal Loot. You can’t ninja someone else’s gear, because it appears in your bag and it’s yours to do with as you please.

because the new cata looms didnt go to 85 during Cata, that change was well after cata noob