2-Hander tanks. Why?

i healed a few rfd runs with a group who was doing this yesterday, honestly i feel like we kept a pretty fast pace, and the damage that the warrior was able to do was worth it imo (he had ravager).

for reference, im leveling a shaman, my build is mostly enhancement with 5 pts in elemental to reduce mana cost for my shocks and lightning bolts. essentially, no resto talents. my gear is pretty caster-centric for sure but i didnt really have any problems. i would imagine as i get into higher dungeons, it will definitely be a problem. has been working fine for SM and for rfd though

Oh god yeah, retal + cleave spam is so fun on big groups.

1 Like

Typically most tanks and healers leveling aren’t actually leveling a tank or healer. I’ve healed quite a few rfk and sm runs as an enhancement shaman with 0 intellect /spirit gear on. Same goes with the tanks. They are probably speccing arms or fury. They can still use a shield but if your not saying anything as the healer then it’s your fault. If your not saying anything I’m guessing they figured you don’t have an issue healing them.

Best reason I see is threat and aoe aggro. Give a tank ravager and he crushes aoe tanking aggro.

Yea but you sound like you are not like some people who enter the dungeon at the lowest possible level they can be in there, then try to tank bosses 2 handed when they know they are taking too much damage to be successful. You should like you would swap to the Shield if needed then swap back to your 2H. Some tanks will b*tch like little kids when people cant keep them up in that situation.

1 Like

You must be a good tank :slight_smile:

As a healer if I were to walk into a random group I’d feel more comfortable if the tank starts with a shield, and if the run is going well to then switch to a 2 hander. That’s just me though

1 Like

Retail mentality.

1 Like

And there is justification for putting on a 2 hand for retaliation, but to the guys giving op hell in dungeons: get in the habit of carrying a 2hand, 2-one handers and a shield at all times. Play how you want but the idea of a warrior being a master of stances and weapons is more true in these early patches. Even if you main dps, having a one hand and shield to swap to if the tank starts dropping is one of those things that can save a wipe and makes you better than the next guy.

3 Likes

Correct, a whole separate conversation should be had for baby warriors on how and why and when to 2h tank.

I made a post on reddit a little while ago on the subject, I’ll copy it here:

Early 1 handers suck. Basically, here’s what you need to know to 2h tank:
1. Decent, up to date gear and a good 2 hander that justifies it
2. Tank’s level is above average for the dungeon (level around or equal to end boss optimally)
3. Have a sword and board macro ready for big pulls, mess ups, hard hitting bosses, a macro for shield bash, etc.
4. Make sure the healer understands and is on board with this
5. You should also generally know the dungeon, how to pull, and mark targets for CC

1 Like

I have been dungeon running with a 2h Arms Tank/DPS spec utilizing Sweeping Strikes to create high AoE DMG/Threat. Yes there have been times when I need to put on a shield. I try to put on a shield for bosses as well. Iv had people scratch their head asking if I am going to taking using the 2H. But i haven’t had many complaints after they see the success of it.

There is nothing more frustrating for a tank than to be rage starved trying to pull hate back off a Warlock or other DPS with no way to drop their threat.
-Rosario ★ Kromcrush

3 Likes

Its all about knowing your class, knowing the content you are doing and how to do it effectively. Do this and you will be successful.

1 Like

If you play with a 1 handed weapon correctly you will not be rage starved. Dont blow all your rage on mobs. Try to tank 2 maybe 3 to keep gaining Rage.

The problem I see with Tanks who use 1 handers is they blow Rage needlessly.

1 Like

@Novius. That’s a good example of doing it responsibly. As long as you have that weapon swap ready, aren’t having any issues, and the group is ok with it, sweep away.

Early one handers are so bad dude. Even wingblade is a struggle. It doesn’t help that a lot of DPS don’t know what they’re doing, so you need extra rage sometimes to compensate. If DPS is perfect, then s/b is doable.

I try not to tank anything less than 4. 3’s okay but 2 is just not efficient.

The problem is DPS are sometimes not patient when you’re gathering mobs and you come back and find half your group is no longer stuck to you :frowning:

EDIT: 3-4 when I’m mid to high in the recommended level range and more when I outlevel a dungeon is what I try to aim for for rage

“I’m just going to leave this gem right here, k, love you healer, bye bye now”

<3 Tank

1 Like

Yes they are. But around SM they do get better. The problem with 1H earlier is that they are 2.6 speed. They are so dam slow. I think its the fight club mace is what I got when I switched to mainly 1H tanking because I was moving into ZF and Uld. If I remember correctly that is a 2.2 speed to. The key to rage generation with 1h is speed

1 Like

Because rage and threat are real problems at low levels for Warriors.

If you deal more damage, you get rage faster, if you get rage faster, you can hold threat on multiple targets more effectively.

If the DPS want to dive right in with their multi-dots, cleaves, and AoE spam while giving us 0 time to actually build rage and threat, then that’s really our only realistic response. This is not their (the DPS’) fault, this is because that’s what retail has taught them.

You created us. And now you call us monsters.

1 Like

Some of you guys are so delusional.

Well I get more rage by using a 2h.
No kidding. It’s a slower weapon with higher damage output. It will make more.

Well you get less rage with a 1h/shield.
No kidding. But if you’re holding the pack of mobs then it will generate a ton of rage.

The first instance is an issue of a typical DPS player that holds aggro and the healer has to burn mana to keep it alive. The second instance is dps hitting various targets making it harder for the tank.

Both these issues make it a struggle for healers, yet DPS players here don’t seem to care.

As someone who mained a healer I can understand OPs frustration.

1 Like

after lvl 29

you never tank with a 1hnd and shield again until raid

its going to be 3 Warrior 2 heals from 30-60(1 heal being shaman) its the fastest group you can make