1st BSOD after steam dl

I appreciate any advice/assistance you can offer me! My computer was running fine before this happened. Its 3 years old and everything is firmly plugged in and updated.

I was downloading the steam client for the 1st time and all of a sudden my screen went black and the computer was making a fairly loud engine sound. I had to manually shut the computer down. After it came back on, a BSOD screen said I had “status: memory management issue.”

I did a memory diagnostic scan and it did not find any issues. Can you guys help me out here. Specs=

cpu - Intel core I5-8400 1g1a1151
mb - asrock z370m pro 4 atx lga1151
mem - corsair vengence lpx 8gb ddr4 2666
s - seagate firecuda 1tb 3.5 7200
vc - zotac geforce gtx 1060 6g
ps - seasonic s1211 520w 80+

I just did a scannow/cmt and it said I had some corrupted files, but I don’t think that’s what caused my computer to crash.

Googled this and one of the first answer is to update drivers, especially graphic drivers.

Just happened again. Everything is updated and nothing is over heating. Trying to figure out if it is a hardware or software issue.

I’ve read one way of diagnosing if it’s a memory issue is by doing a memory test one stick at a time if you’re using more than one, because sometimes the test won’t detect bad memory if you have a bad one for example, but the other, or others are good.

My hunch is either bad memory or the PSU is having a hard time meeting power needs. Your PSU looks like it’s a decent Seasonic unit which makes it less likely the source of trouble, but even good PSUs can start to get creaky with time especially if they’re running at near-max capacity for long stretches of time.

What I would personally do:

1. Test memory, first with memory testing software and then by running a single stick at a time.
  2. Test for OS issues, which can be done by either:
    • Creating a live Linux thumb drive with pop!_OS, Fedora, or Ubuntu, booting into it, and using your computer with that for a day or two
    • Doing a fresh reinstall of Windows
  3. Test for PSU issues by ordering a well-rated PSU and swapping it out. If problems persist with new PSU, return it and reinstall old PSU.
  4. Test for GPU issues by removing the GTX 1060 from the system and running on the integrated UHD 630 for a day or two.

If it turns out to be none of those 4, you’re likely looking at some kind of problem with the motherboard or CPU which is going to be hard to diagnose and hard to fix.

When selecting a new PSU to test with, I would advise going with at least a 650W unit just to make sure there’s ample room to accommodate spikes in power draw. Here’s a number of high quality units to consider.

ok thank you. I’ll do all the above, but I’m diffiently leaning towards a hardware issue. gonna check the ram 1st!

Update your drivers

I’m not a regular here, so I wanted to say Thank you for being awesome.

I used Seatools for hard drive, memtest86, Hcl design’s memtest, intest processor diagnostic tool, and OCCT to test stuff. And so far I haven’t found any errors.

When I used OCCT, I ran CPU, memory, 3d and vram on basic setting for 15 minutes each. It didn’t list any errors or results so I guess no news is good news.

But, during the 3d part, my computer started giving off a burnt smell, so I’m afraid of running it again for an hour. Also my computer NOW is pretty dust free.

It’s hard to tell without poking at it myself, but if temperatures looked fine while doing that testing I would suspect the PSU is giving out. I suppose it’s possible that your GPU is at death’s door but it would be unusual for that to happen without it also exhibiting errors in tests. Either way burnt smell means it’s almost certainly hardware.

During the tests, gpu temp went from 35 to 60 for each one. For 3d it went up to 80.