[Feedback] Hearthstone 10 year anniversary event

I guess this merits a feedback thread… because oh boy.

First off, I like that the mobs we kill are ‘‘famous’’ Hearthstone cards. This is actually the only positive thing I have to say about the event.

The decision to put one in Stormwind and Valdrakken made it even more of a lag fest then it would be outside of a zone, for instance, the one in Durotar. Not only is lag the issue with this, but it also locks a lot of people out of these cities because of lag and frame rate drops. Who would’ve thought 80+ people all firing projectiles at a mob would cause that?

The portals seem to be random where and what time they spawn. I’ve seen it spawn 3 times in a row in Stormwind instead of having a proper rotation of Stormwind>Valdrakken>Orgrimmar.

The timing of these portals also seems far and in between. Comments on Wowhead say that it should be every 30 min, but I’ve seen portals spawn at 19:44.

There is no clear indicator of what to do. I should not have to go to Wowhead to know what to do, a good introduction and the game telling me what is going on would go a long way. As well as indicators of what is going to spawn and where and at what time.

1 week of this is way too short, especially when besides the loot, the spawn seems RNG as well.

30 Likes

I created this post in the general forums since my time is about up: Portals for Hearthstone Event

As I stated there, I think the portals need to be spawned in all 3 locations at the same time.

The Alliance portal also needs to be out in Elwynn Forest just like how the Horde version is out in Durotar… Not smack dab in the middle of a major city.

This FOMO tactic event definitely needs to be longer. 1 Week to try to gain all of these things for a once in a lifetime event that we all know, because of how they are, will never see a resurgence of any of these items because god forbid we ever allow these FOMO tactic items to be available.

19 Likes

Reiterating on what I said in Leave "Loot Piñata" events out of Capital Cities, and as Phenomenon stated, this sort of events has no business in capital cities. Stormwind in large realms was very literally inaccessible for a while when the portals were up there. I would really welcome an explanation as to why the Horde (rightfully) got Durotar, but the Alliance has to deal with the event in Stormwind when several great alternatives were right there.

Moreover, this sort of event just seems nonsensical. Nothing much seems to have been learned from the Diablo promotional event. It’s obvious that there will be massive crowd surrounding the one spawn location for these event mobs, but the design philosophy remained unchanged, so all it really is is a race against the server to get a tag in, for a very random drop.

18 Likes

Indeed. If they had spread the event portals around, with gauranteed spawns for the portal regardless of location you are now spreading the what could be a massive population around the entire world.

Would also, in this current stupid iteration, would allow Horde members the availability to do this event without mandatory flagging, in the middle of an alliance major city. Or (even more stupidly) could have at least made the pain equal. Stormwind has the portal, Orgrimmar does too.

It’s almost like they forgot they, potentially, haven’t made the major cities hostile neutral. Like the team that’s working on Midnight was placed in charge of this.

Seriously these randomized, portals in the world, is not a fun event. This type of event alls tarted with the pre-patch for Dragonflight. It was new, it was kinda fun, but now… God I miss the “Just go here” type of event. Not this “Hope you’re in the right spot this time hahaha. Btw, it’s on the other side of the planet. Good luck getting there in time.”

The current cop-out of “Just pre-stage alts” is a crap cop-out. I want to play this event on my main, not bounce around my alts hoping I’m on the alt that’s int he correct location. Especially given the BoP rewards.

11 Likes

RP realms have, by design, no sharding in any zone that isn’t current content – generally it’s preferred to keep it that way because otherwise people will miss each other, and that’s why it’s just a much better choice to put all these capital city events anywhere else. Hell, it’s a better idea simply because it actually gets people to go out there.

Your suggestion is also really good, regarding having all three at once, though. It’d massively ease the load in each location, rather than every Horde logging their Alliance alt, and vice-versa.

The whole event just doesn’t strike me as much of a celebration of Hearthstone’s anniversary either with the way it’s done. I’ve never played it, but I don’t feel particularly inclined to do it by participating in this either. They’ve given it a little encircled area in three locations of the world and called it a day. This would’ve been the perfect opportunity to have even one small building that would be a designated ‘hearthstone tavern’ somewhere out there.

10 Likes

Alright after doing a few of these to try to get the mount, I have to ask again: why does the game continue to implement stuff like this without increasing server stability? Happens EVERY single event like this. Y’all know we are showing up for these and people are going to be farming this event HEAVILY to get the new items for at least the first few days. This just gets overlooked time and time again and doesn’t make an enjoyable open-world event.

And then there’s also stuff like this going on apparently:

20 Likes

It’s sad to see another in-game event/holiday handled like this. The 2023 edition of Hallow’s End was the start of the event drop off by combining double 1% drops with the drake manuscript with the Horseman’s Reins. We were told it’d get better. Winter’s Veil and another 1% drop manuscript. No improvement. Love is in the Air had another double whammy with the rocket and another manuscript both clocking in around 1%. Still no improvements.

These events don’t feel fun or celebratory anymore. They’re a giant FOMO engine pushing you to farm across alts and camp spawns at the hope of a far-too-rare drop that should really be 100% or purchasable with gold or event currency.

25 Likes

The start of this event was neat, letter to bring you there,
shady dealer sells you cards to do the quest, boss spawned right after,

but then it got kinda frustrating, there is a quest attached to each card you can get so I was trying to get one of each,
but finding the boss to fight was an oof, then it got harder :frowning:
It was tough enough to find one of the bosses to fight originally, there was plenty of groups in the finder but 95% of them you would get declined or they would fill before you got in, I was getting 1 boss about every 30 minutes of trying to join, half of those I ended up not getting loot as I got one shot by the bombs before I could hit the main boss, but I was making slow, if somewhat frustrating progress,

I went off to dinner and when I just came back, there was no groups to join, apparently the spawns were nerfed while I was gone,

Really the event is neat, the only problem is finding a boss to fight, its frustrating,
my suggestion would be to be have the card from the shady dealer have a chance to initiate the start of the portal, this would make things feel a lot less like hurry up and wait

5 Likes

I enjoyed the ease of access to the event. 5-10 minutes of my day at any given hour. Hop shards a few times. Get lucky with drops.
It’s low involvement. Which can be a good a thing.

Diameter of the bombs from the 3rd boss is wonky. Getting obliterated when you’re 5 yards away from it was a little disheartening.

I had fun collecting everything. Not a lot, but a little.
Cute Rat.
Nice Tabard.
All hardware / sharding issues aside.
Solid 5/10.

4 Likes

I have to say I am disappointed in terms of what the event was. The cosmetic rewards were good however the event itself is just the diablo event repeated.

I’m also disappointed this tavern not get used which was added back in BfA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz2oPHaIy9I

5 Likes

That is exactly how it should now be working, following a hotfix that was deployed a couple of hours ago.

We’re continuing to investigate performance issues on some realms.

9 Likes

It has been working a lot better since that hotfix. The lag on my server has been less though sometimes you still get no loot at all.

3 Likes

The one thing that has me bummed and slightly frustrated about this event is the timing, and the fact that it’s only a week long.

March is the month where I have my IEP meetings (individual education plans). It’s also the month where my team meets to prepare for state testing, next year’s interpreter placement, and next year’s student placement…

All of that means I literally don’t get home until 7 pm or later. On Tuesday and Thursday, I don’t get home until 9:30 pm! (I teach a college class.)

Today will be the first day all week in which I could come home at about 4 pm. I’m hoping I could come home at 4 pm on Friday too, but I was told yesterday about a possibility of a meeting being scheduled that day.

This means I have literally ONE evening free to play this event! And only for about 5 or 6 hours.

Saturday, I plan to hop on… if I’m not too exhausted! Last Saturday, I slept for hours and hours because my previous week was like this one.

So, yeah, I’m pretty dispirited about the ridiculously limited time window that I have, thanks to factors entirely outside of my control. :confused:

I can only hope I get at least one thing — a toy or a pet or a transmog. I’m not getting my hopes up for a mount — today during my first of MAYBE three play sessions this week.

Just something to consider, Blizzard. A week really isn’t long enough for people who have long work hours!! Especially if the event is on an HOUR-LONG spawn timer. :confused:

Next week is slightly better, because despite me having three IEP meetings and the grades being due… it’s the spring break for the college I teach at. Means I’ll be able to come home at 5 pm on Tuesday and Thursday. Still…

Edit: LOL. Turns out I’m too sick to go to work — thanks, flu and allergies! Guess I get some more time for this event. :joy:

10 Likes

There seem to be quite some bugs still with the event. There is the suspecion that the bag wont drop if you have all the other items. (4 times in a row I didnt got any loot and the bag is the only one I need still.

Together with the maintenance, is it possible to extend this event by a week?

7 Likes

This event isn’t fun. First the spawning problems, also that one event is IN Stormwind, so while alliance could do three, horde could only do two each full rotation. Alliance could turn up to the horde one and not get flagged. This wasn’t fair. This was fixed with having them all spawn at once, but that happened two days in. This whole week will be just people hanging around portals trying to collect the rewards.

It’s nice that the mobs are Hearthstone creatures, but I had thought there would be more variety.

And the tabard I got, won’t apply. I click it, and it just stays in my bags. It’s bugged. I keep hearing stuff like that from others as well. Not just scarce loot, but bugged loot.

9 Likes

The event experience has been better since the hotfix. The Tavern Tabard does apply in transmog. I view this similar to a reskin of the Diablo event. I can confirm the drops eventually all happened, cards, toys, mounts, pet, 3x bag. With another fiery hearthsteed, mount, bag, and pet on my old raf bnet. Am not sure if I want to farm more bags but the event was okay, perhaps the portals should have been every half hour (think the goblins were every half) instead of hourly. I never found the lag unplayable but that was a complaint others had, some realms/shards have more lag than others. I’m not excited about the prospect of farming this bag the way I was back in Shadowlands prepatch etc. This event was okay overall, a bit grindy. I suspect the bag drop rates are low.

3 Likes

You can’t really change the timing of anniversaries, can you?

The drop rates are quite good, after only 2 evenings I only have the mount and 4 cards left. And the portal spawning in all 3 locations was a great improvement, I can now farm the bag for low level alts. And I am happy progress on the card collecting achievement is account wide.

Good luck to everyone to get the drop you want!

2 Likes

Ha, no. But Blizzard can certainly give us more than one week. :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: my last edit on here. Thank you, Blizzard, for adding four days!! I appreciate that very much. :grin:

6 Likes