150% xp 1-50 is no where near enough

Honestly, if people haven’t played season of discovery yet but have interest in playing the season 4 content, they have no interest in the leveling and how slow and boring it is. 1-50 leveling should be at 1000% xp increase (obviously with a toggle). And let people mount at level 20.

1 Like

That’s what happens when the characters become so disconnected from Azeroth, leveling becomes bad.

They may as well just let players make max lvl SoD toons at character creation and at least try to balance max level.

Making the leveling and Azeroth experience good like in Era will likely take longer than is left in the season.

3 Likes

SELL LVL50 BOOSTS IN THE SHOP
GOOOOOOOOO
/s

The 150% increase is fine imo.
Just leave as is, Blizz, and resist the shop siren song.
:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

if leveling is so difficult, i foresee problems playing along with endgame players.

3 Likes

OP is going to need therapy for this agonizing, horrifying leveling experience that they were forced to endure. Shame on Blizzard …

It’s truly amazing. We’ve gone from begging for Xpac boosts to level bracket boosts. People seem clueless on what and RPG is all about.

SoZ, season of zoomers.

3 Likes

There’s a forum for that game mode.

:woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

This obviously belongs in the SoD forums but since you posted here, this type of thing is one of the reasons I don’t play SoD anymore.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never been a big fan of leveling, especially questing, but I appreviate and value what it does for me and my connection to both my character and the world. While on paper the concept of “catch up” sounds great, in reality it only serves to disconnect people from the game. They breeze to level cap, play some content, and then leave because there’s “nothing to do”.

SoD is pretty far disconnected from Vanilla at this point, they might as well throw RDF and flying mounts in, then call it a day. XP boosts (and gold boosts, wut!?!?) were a really bad addition from an Era player’s perspective.

4 Likes

IMO SoD just needs its own bespoke game client at this point because its causing so many annoying bugs in Era.

2 Likes

I’m as frustrated as the rest of you with regards to there being unified clients. From a softare engineering perspective though, it just makes sense to do it that way. There’s definitely a ball being dropped here though and it’s frustrating.

Given what I said above regarding SoD, I’d just as soon have it be on the retail client at this point :wink:

Yup,gives them more freedom to do wacky things. Vanilla Era client factually screws any chance at real innovations, not even mentioning balance, I don’t think they know how or care at all about that part so not worth discussing.

Hell even the Wrath or TBC clients give more options

I’m honestly not even sure about this, I think it is quite debatable.

From a player perspective the biggest advantage of one client is that they get to jump between modes without changing clients completely. Dev advantages are pretty clear.

But the disadvantages have been creeping up quite a bit. For players, there are instability across game modes in which changes for one mode cause issues in another. This is probably more terrible for devs who have to tip toe around changes praying that aren’t modifying something that will also impact the other gamemode. (trying to do greenfield work, while maintaining the stability expected for HC seems like a good way to make it hard to be creative).

I still feel that they should have just made SoD its own clone codebase and so they could go ham with changes and just throw it away when the season is done.

At this point, SoD changes is basically a bunch of junk that has been put into Era codebase… When the season is over is it really worth spending all the time to clean it up, or just leave it inactive? Like I’m not sure having everything in one place is even worth it for the devs unless they plan to bring SoD changes back to Era.

I know, you’ve debated me on this before. Are you a Software Engineer? If you are that doesn’t mean our experiences are universal, but throughout the course of my career I’ve experienced both options. Frankly, I’ll never willingly go back to maintaining separate client streams ever again. It’s just too costly to deliver changes to the customer and keep the steams even remotely in sync. It’s very easy to make one change but you will pay it down the line.

While I strongly believe this approach is cheaper in the long run, it doesn’t come for free. You still have to ensure that you’re probably testing the impact your changes can have on other clients and ensuring that you don’t have functionality bleed from one stream to the other (which is happening here).

Either Blizzard doesn’t have the experience or expertise for this, or they aren’t getting the funding they need to ensure it’s done properly. Honestly, my guess would be the latter. Either way, I will continue to support Blizzard clearly exercising good Software Engineering practices, even if they’re not doing it as effectively as I would prefer. It’s easier to improve at the practices you’re already doing, a lot harder to change the mindset of people who don’t want to believe in the value of those practices and just keep doing things the way they’ve always done them in the past.

I see this a lot. Ditto testable software development practices. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the phrase, “Well my code always works, why do I need to write tests for it?”

:slight_smile:

Yeah, but not a game dev so take anything I say with a grain of salt :wink: I’ve taken a good skim through the CMaNGOS repo and that’s the limit of my understanding of what the team at blizz is potentially working with.

So far I have only worked with architectures that are much closer to what you are advocating for, so perhaps I see the grass greener on the other side.

But I also think there are some decent reasons to consider having a separate architecture here. At the core probably being that each version has opposite development philosophies - SoD wants to move fast and innovate, whereas Era needs to become more stable to support hardcore.

If every feature has to come with a suite of tests to make sure it doesn’t impact Era, in a way that demotivates people from building creative new features or makes them risky to build if tests aren’t comprehensive.

If the focus is on SoD I would say another part of is could be that metrics aren’t focused on stability but on productivity. So perhaps it is funding at the core, but also culture could come to play as well. Separate clients in a way organically allows for a culture of careful changes when it comes to Era client, whereas with mix it ‘has to be done for SoD’ so we just have to go ahead and release.

If they plan to keep SoD Era around forever, it makes sense to do it as is. But if they close down those servers, how much refactoring to cleanup all those changes?

Ship it. Test it in prod. Nobody will do that. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

“Working as intended”

1 Like

You, sir, are either a troll or a walking meme. XP increases are questionable to begin with in “Classic” and you want basically a free max level boost?

Ah, good old MS way of thinking… “we can patch that”…

Lmao retailers are so insufferable.

1 Like